Playstation 3: Already problems arising?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warning: This topic is not to start a flame war. This topic is not about whether or not the PS3 is better than the 360 or Wii. This topic is not about whether you think sony sucks or not. This topic is about the problems found with the first releases of the system and your opinions on the company's future.

It's been over 24 hours since the release, so I decided to browse some of my favorite gaming forums, namely GameFAQs, to see how the big shot PS3 was doing. Surprisingly enough, the board was practically 75% about how "Sony messed up" or "My PS3 is having a problem" topics.

I read a lot of problems with BC and HDTV support, something about if your tv is just 1080i and the game's max res is 720p, you wont be able to play the game in anything other than 480p. In short, if your TV doesn't support 720p, you're pretty much ****ed until sony does something about it. There were also no HD cables in the box, which many are complaining about.

Also, people on Gamefaqs have been reporting the dreaded DRE (disk read error) has returned, as well as entire systems "burning out" within a few hours. There were also a few cases of games freezing numerous times.

Of course, I'm sure not ALL the systems are having these issues, but from what I can tell, Sony's infamous buggy first-release consoles have struck once more, though most of us expected this happening....

Overall, most people who bought a PS3 seem dissappointed in it, but I believe they're judging too harshly based on the games, personally...

I'm glad I'm waiting a year to get my PS3 when most, if not all the major problems are corrected in newer releases. I bought the PS1 a year after it's release, the PS2 a year after, and it looks like I'll do the same once again.

So has anyone else heard of any other problems?

Best answers
There were also no HD cables in the box, which many are complaining about.
Sony already said there wouldn't be HD cables supplied with the PS3.

I'm glad I'm waiting a year to get my PS3 when most, if not all the major problems are corrected in newer releases. I bought the PS1 a year after it's release, the PS2 a year after, and it looks like I'll do the same once again.
Not to mention, you won't get shot, stabbed, beat up, or suffer hypothermia...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't come too unexpected, but I feel sad for the people who waited in line for days to get one. Sucks for them. It shouldn't have to be that way.

Best answers
It's been over 24 hours since the release, so I decided to browse some of my favorite gaming forums, namely GameFAQs, to see how the big shot PS3 was doing. Surprisingly enough, the board was practically 75% about how "Sony messed up" or "My PS3 is having a problem" topics.
75% of all gamefaqs posts are how "X messed up" or "my X is having problems". although i do feel sorry for all those that have messed up ones.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whatever, I already saw it coming.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Honestly, who didn't see this coming?

Anyone who waited in line all day for a broken console they didn't sell for 3x cash return is an idiot.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im not really a pro-nintendo guy, (in fact im actually fairly anti-nintendo when it comes right down to it), but they are really the only company that seems to playtest the consoles prior to release, i have NEVER had a nintendo product break apart on me within 2-3 months, (let alone 2 days)

microsoft and sony however, seem to rush things a bit more, as ive had 1 xbox and 2 ps2's crap out on me within 3 months of purchasing them.

this isnt a pro-nintendo post, just stating that I, (being a sony fanboy myself) actually expected problems like this to arise this early,

i doubt anyone ran into the DRE already though, unless they offroaded it home, dropped it down a flight of stairs, or flat out pissed in the disc tray.

problems with burning out and freezing is entirely plausible though, i had 3 friends with xb360s, and 2 of those didnt last a week. due to constant freezing, and the eventual error lights, So im a believer in that regard =P.

dont count out the possibility that alot of the complaints are coming from 360/Wii fanboys/girls who dont even own a ps3, People (sony fanboys mainly XD) did it with the 360.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is why I never buy the first release of ANY console :p If I remember correctly, XBOX, PS2, and GCN all had some pretty harsh problems with the first shipment. It seems inevitable these days. I'm sure the first Wiis will have their share of issues too. No different than first relelases of a new version of a mod. There will always be a few issues. Hence I wait 2 years and all systems have plenty of awesome games and few problems :p

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ja, this sucks, but it was completly expected. Just hope the system has a nice warranty. This sucks really bad, because I love a ****load of games for the ps2 and games coming out for the ps3 look ****ing insane [like mgs4], and I want one next year. But I don't want to go through the hell of the disc read errors and freezing like I did with my ps2.

I agree with nuttzy, but since I'm a nintendo fanboy thats to be expected. I have never had a problem with any nintendo product, never had to replace a system, or buy new parts, or get one repaired. I will stick with what I know will work, and what I know I will have fun with, without having to worry about wether or not the system will work today.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just give it time and they'll sort out the problems. I've got the slimline PS2, and aside from an AC Adapter issue (which was supposed to only exist in Eurasia, lucky me....no support to fix the problem in the US) it works flawlessly. Basically, just wait a while and Sony will sort the problems out.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Warning: This topic is not to start a flame war. This topic is not about whether or not the PS3 is better than the 360 or Wii. This topic is not about whether you think sony sucks or not. This topic is about the problems found with the first releases of the system and your opinions on the company's future.
Because putting that disclaimer there will change everything.

The maddox article was about maddox and his views on the PS3 look at what that turned into. Saddam being sentenced to death was about saddam but SOMEHOW managed to go from saddam being executed to WWII.

Your happy little "disclaimer" won't change anything.

As for Sony, it's to be expected. Problem happen, **** gets rushed too fast. It'll happen with the Wii as well.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because putting that disclaimer there will change everything.

The maddox article was about maddox and his views on the PS3 look at what that turned into. Saddam being sentenced to death was about saddam but SOMEHOW managed to go from saddam being executed to WWII.

Your happy little "disclaimer" won't change anything.

As for Sony, it's to be expected. Problem happen, **** gets rushed too fast. It'll happen with the Wii as well.
I'll thank you to keep the bulk of your post on-topic instead of the other way around.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is why I never buy the first release of ANY console :p If I remember correctly, XBOX, PS2, and GCN all had some pretty harsh problems with the first shipment. It seems inevitable these days. I'm sure the first Wiis will have their share of issues too. No different than first relelases of a new version of a mod. There will always be a few issues. Hence I wait 2 years and all systems have plenty of awesome games and few problems :p

-Karrde-
Can anyopne tell me what the GC acctualy had wrong with it? All i can remember are the little stress fractures in the case, oh and mine froze once.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never heard many problems with gamecube, other than one of my mates said his stopped reading discs, he had it for almost 2 years though.

Imo this is why so little are being released, they dont wanna manufacture millions to then have to recall half of them, that would be a waist of time and money. They'll send out their first batch, see what goes wrong and then fix it up for the next batch.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never heard many problems with gamecube, other than one of my mates said his stopped reading discs, he had it for almost 2 years though.

Imo this is why so little are being released, they dont wanna manufacture millions to then have to recall half of them, that would be a waist of time and money. They'll send out their first batch, see what goes wrong and then fix it up for the next batch.
I hope you're right. Though it does sound logical. But if this is true, why not just actually play the game for a month or two, fix any and all bug, THEN release it. Shouldn't be any problems then.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont understand why people will never learn, that you dont buy a console on the openening day you wait for a couple of batches to go out to the public then wait to see exactly what the problems are.

ps2 had disk reading errors and a 1 year life span
xbox360 just completely blows balls and ends up dieing(still an ongoing issue)

i cant say anything about nintendo because they usually make quality hardware, they just lack in the software.

in short give it a couple of months then get the ps3's that are fixed and dont have problems. BTW these things are not pretty much computers, so errors are ganna happen and hardware is ganna fail

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not just a purely Sony related problem: There's been a few reports of Wii's not working getting things such as Disk Read Errors or controllers randomly going out of sync with the console.

I haven't experienced anything like that with my Wii though, so I'm lucky I guess

Anyways, I think it was expected that there would be a certain percentage of units which would be broken. A good sized portion of the PS2 launch consoles broke (mine included) and Microsoft had to fix a lot of broken 360's for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom