Playing esf online?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey guys I have a problem: When I run esf (with steam, finally), and try to run the game, the loading starts, but then it quickly stops and returns to the main menu. But when I check the "LAN Game" option, I can play. I want to know if this will affect my online play (I rarely create a server, I usually join), just as soon as I buy an internet packet that allows online play. I know I can't create a server online, but can I join?

P.S. This problem doesn't appear on esf 1.2, only on esf 1.2.1 and higher. So I was thinking: If you guys have esf 1.2.3, can I join your server with esf 1.2?

Best answers
What exactly is your error message when LAN game is not checked? Is ESF in your games list?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There isn't any error message. But in the console it says, STEAM authentication required to connect to internet servers. The game just stops loading and returns to the main menu. And yes, ESF is in my Games List. But that doesn't explain why the error isn't present in 1.2.

Best answers
Don't know, if there is no error message that means you can join Internet servers. Does your console pops up telling you something about class C?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope, the console doesn't pop up, I open it and it tells me about the mentioned STEAM authentication, but says nothing about Class C. This is exactly what shows up in my console:

NET Ports: server 27015, client 27005
Server IP address 87.116.140.55:27015
Server IPX address 00000000:000f21d06e87:27015
Reading bot_names file... done
Reading bot_chat file... done
Reading bot_personalities file... done
Reading sbot.cfg file... done
Reading skill.cfg file... done
No detail texture mapping file: maps/esf_cell_games_night_detail.txt
STEAM authentication required to connect to internet servers.

Best answers
Your problem is that Steam doesnt authentificates Steam. Try deleting clientregistry.blob file from your steam folder. That will make steam update itself again and probably esf will be authentificated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't have the file. I'm using steam in an entirely different way than everyone else. It runs with hl.exe (as explained in my thread: "Another way to install ESF. Legal?" in the chat section). It doesn't update or anything. I just run hl.exe, select Change Game and then Earth's Special Forces. So, I guess that idea's out of the question.:S

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well looks like your way dosent work for online play. ^^

Try using the proper way than ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, it does work, only not with the patches included. When I install esf beta 1.2 and uncheck LAN Game it works flawlessly. So here's my question: If I'm using esf beta 1.2, can I join a esf beta 1.2.3 server? Plz answer soon.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aww..... Well, I guess the only thing left to do is to try downloading esf 1.2.3 full. Maybe then it will work. Wish me luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom