Playing ESF 1.0 or 1.1 online

Best answers
Hi everyone,
I played this game 10 years ago, and am amazed its still around.

Have to say I'm not the greatest fan of 1.2.3, there is no doubt the melee system has been improved (even though I'm not great at using it) but I'm not a fan for the simple reason energy weapons have been so dumbed down as to be useless for the most part. If the energy weapons were the same as in 1.0 I'd have no problems playing 1.2.3.

So is there anywhere I can play 1.0 / 1.1 online, I installed it but found no servers?

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Probably it's because no one host servers and plays the old version (or plays very rarely). Even in 1.2.3 there are very small amount of players.

Best answers
Are you saying that both this game and this server are nearly dead?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is a very small playing community. Steams update that made servers invisible didnt help either. There are certain times when people are online and playing though. Everyone else is just waiting for the Final to be released.

But yea no one is hosting the older versions anymore. Heck the last attempt at doing so ended up with an empty server, since no one wanted to play the old version anymore.

Regarding the beams issue you seem to have. Im having trouble believing that. A good beam user is nearly invincible in 1.2.3 It has gotten so bad at times, that admins put up a rule against spamming beams.

Best answers
There is a very small playing community. Steams update that made servers invisible didnt help either. There are certain times when people are online and playing though. Everyone else is just waiting for the Final to be released.

But yea no one is hosting the older versions anymore. Heck the last attempt at doing so ended up with an empty server, since no one wanted to play the old version anymore.

Regarding the beams issue you seem to have. Im having trouble believing that. A good beam user is nearly invincible in 1.2.3 It has gotten so bad at times, that admins put up a rule against spamming beams.
I beg to differ, for example the Spirit Bomb has a much larger area of effect in 1.0 and 1.1 as well as several other attacks that are now never ever used because they are obsolete in 1.2.3. Finger lasers etc. are now too weak compared to their energy use to be of any use and so are obsolete and never used.

I have only ever seen melee experts in 1.2.3

This great game could really do with an upgrade to a newer platform, Half Life 2 or maybe something newer than that. I'm no programmer but wish I was!

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I beg to differ, for example the Spirit Bomb has a much larger area of effect in 1.0 and 1.1 as well as several other attacks that are now never ever used because they are obsolete in 1.2.3. Finger lasers etc. are now too weak compared to their energy use to be of any use and so are obsolete and never used.

I have only ever seen melee experts in 1.2.3

This great game could really do with an upgrade to a newer platform, Half Life 2 or maybe something newer than that. I'm no programmer but wish I was!
Finger lasers can be the bane of your existence in the right hands.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I have only ever seen melee experts in 1.2.3!
Spirit bomb is the same as it was in 1.1 Its destructive power is based on the server average PL. Meaning that itll be stronger if there are higher PL players in the server, but itll only be stronger than about half the player while itll be weaker than the other half.

As for finger laser. That one is nearly an insta-kill move if used correctly. Especially after you transform it becomes REALLY deadly. Its rapid fire ability can deplete the opponents HP almost as quickly as your KI.

And as said you only saw melee experts, because of the year long ban on beams. People stopped using them because they would get kicked or even banned for doing so. Beams being more devastating than balls of course, but still if a person knows how to use them properly he is unstoppable and nearly untouchable by anyone who uses melee only.

As for the platform. We are sticking to HL1.
And our coders are doing this with it -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzhoiUsPmeQ

Last edited:
Best answers
As for the platform. We are sticking to HL1.
And our coders are doing this with it -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzhoiUsPmeQ
Wow this is very impressive, really pushing the HL1 engine, I wonder if it can actually look this good in game. Reason I mentioned the HL2 platform is that it will definitely attract those who are inclined to play games with better graphics (unlike me). Imagine what you guys could do with the HL2 engine!

As for finger laser. That one is nearly an insta-kill move if used correctly. Especially after you transform it becomes REALLY deadly. Its rapid fire ability can deplete the opponents HP almost as quickly as your KI.
I would love to see this! Not a few people have told me lasers are useless!

Spirit bomb is the same as it was in 1.1 Its destructive power is based on the server average PL. Meaning that itll be stronger if there are higher PL players in the server, but itll only be stronger than about half the player while itll be weaker than the other half.
Well I tested this with a friend on both versions, the blast radius of the new Spirit Bomb is tiny compared to the old one, makes it pretty useless as it takes so long to charge it.

And as said you only saw melee experts, because of the year long ban on beams. People stopped using them because they would get kicked or even banned for doing so.
I would love to see this too!

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wow this is very impressive, really pushing the HL1 engine, I wonder if it can actually look this good in game. Reason I mentioned the HL2 platform is that it will definitely attract those who are inclined to play games with better graphics (unlike me). Imagine what you guys could do with the HL2 engine!
Watch the latest videos ... they are all in game. And yeah developers are working on effects and other things that make Final look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom