Planetside 2 - Take 2

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gonna take another crack at this thread since the other one died. So Planetside 2 has been out now for a few months. It's a bit more stable and they've announced some of the features they're working on for the next 6 months. Hopefully they take community feedback seriously. Anyway, although the game is "released" we're still playing what amounts to an open beta as features continue to be added over the next months and years. So again, for those who don't know Planetside 2 is an MMOPFPS. It's actually free to play as in the starting gear doesn't suck (in fact the default VS HA rifle is one of the best guns in the game) and everything can be unlocked without paying a cent. Most things that can be purchased are sidegrades IE giving up one stat but getting better in another. Less accurate but faster firing an so on. The vehicle weapons that can be bought are kinda pretty much upgrades, but unless you're really going to get into the game you're going to be either being a grunt or gunning someone else's vehicle. Though the default Liberator gun, once again, does the most damage over time, so it's mostly a question of style. Also certification for upgraded skills like various weapon sights, jumpjets, grenades, armor, etc can only be gotten via ingame cert points and cannot be purchased. In short, what makes the real difference must be earned by playing. But all the upgrades only give players an edge. A total fresh character is still perfectly capable of killing a maxed out character. Anyway, less talk, I'll show off a few vids. Read the main site for the basics.

This is my outfit (we run Vanu Sovereignty) setting up a massive Anti-Air camp of the New Conglomerate warpgate. Basically us trying to deny their air cavalry access to the rest of the continent and creating a buffer for our forces to pick up territory without the interference of aircraft. Recorded by Goffin who was playing NC that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DImWDSgd4kY

Some really excellent Light Assault play on one of the smaller towers (Crossroads Watchtower on Indar). Glad this guy isn't on my server XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nlakcXtXe4

Total Biscuit doing a complete idiot's guide to Planetside 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx_xeRFlNTA

And just for the hell of it, glitches XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzyxo5FXMU

Last edited:
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I tried out this game before and the only reason I didn't get immediately into it is it's slightly overwhelming at first so I didn't get the hang of the game. I keep meaning to keep playing, I just never seem to have the time...

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well watch totalbiscuit's guide. Makes sense of the game in less than 30 minutes.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll give it a go later on in the day.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yeah, I tried out this game before and the only reason I didn't get immediately into it is it's slightly overwhelming at first so I didn't get the hang of the game. I keep meaning to keep playing, I just never seem to have the time...
Exactly my feel as well! I've played for a couple of hours though, and am not getting the hang of it yet. FPS is not my cup of tea, but I find this game ever so entertaining and will look at TotalBiscuits guide, because I wish to improve. Other than that, I really do hope people try it out. Quality for free is awesome...

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh also if anyone cares, my outfit and I run as Vanu Sovereignty on Matherson server.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Started playing again early today. Got 3 kills after dropping into a hostile base and I gotta say, was definitely having a blast.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe if we get enough people playing we could organize an ESF Ops day on Matherson.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once I get a new computer I definitely want to give this game a try.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe if we get enough people playing we could organize an ESF Ops day on Matherson.
What part of the world is Matherson designated for?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah Matherson is US East, also one of the best servers and populated by some of the more well known outfits (The Enclave, Ghosts of the Revolution, Azure Twilight, etc).

And yes there are guilds, though in Planetside the term if "Outfit." Also an internal friends list. There's also squad and platoon systems for ingame organization, but running with an Outfit in an organized fashion with an external VOIP program is the way to roll.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I'm only down if there's in character role playing and it's enforced 100% of the time.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Darkowns, you should watch the TotalBiscuit video, he explains exactly all you probably need to know in order to feel comfortable getting thrown into the game.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, I watched some of it but I'm learning by playing at this point. I was on for a few hours last night.

It's a cool-ass game. Has the good gameplay of CoD + Battlefield (minus the whiny retards), a little bit of halo multiplayer, and the teamwork of...lets say Counter-Strike. It's about time someone combine the best of the modern shooters. Biggest ******* map I've ever seen, too, not counting Morrowind.

Just joined Matherson, names ScavengeAlpha1 if you wanna join up sometime.

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've been playing it. It's alright.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Might be getting a game going later tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom