Planet Vegeta

Best answers
First Impressions
I thought I'd go big or go home, so the first map I'll be working on is one of Planet Vegeta. I wanted to be sure I'd get the feel of it right, so I began working with the initial concepts of the map.

At first I knew nothing except pictures showing it was a big red planet. My initial assumptions were the reflection on light and potential objects in the universe influencing it, but then I thought of another alternative: gas. Lots and lots of gas. Red also has another idea behind it, being heat. It most likely has lots of heat and gas.

Then I considered that if this was a habitable planet filled with warriors, then there must be water. Then where there's water, there's vegetation. This whole planet can't be too gaseous or volcanic; it's most likely a mix. I could use short grass and short plant-life to assume its greater strength. I thought for character I'd make it hilly and have a giant canyon in it.

Ironically after watching GT episodes showing the planet, I found out all of my assumptions were right. The land is a huge mix and variety of different terrains and features, including a canyon that runs through one of (or its only) main city.

The idea now is to create skyboxes and landscaping that includes all of this terrain in a seamless flow. Does it make sense to have grasslands immediately turn into volcanic rock and black earth? Not really.​

Terrain
I took note of a variety of terrains and copied pictures from GT as reference points, and I've boiled it down to a few different fighting locations. I've creating a whole map area including outside skyboxes to base these ideas on.

Grass: The common hills you see in grassy maps where there's the small plateau leading to the smaller flat tops. Below is an open grass field surrounded by grassy cliff sides.

Dirt: Open rock areas, all flat-land, except for minor destructible rocks scattered around, varying from waist high to 3 times height.

Volcanic: The hills here are more jagged, spiked, and layered, with no flat surface top. The volcanoes are straight forward. The real treat here is a purple lake which borders the land and flows into an underground cavern, linked to the canyon.

Canyon: A large canyon expands southward, splitting the map in two, from the main city skyscraper in the distance. When it nears the bottom of the map, it widens underneath the surface providing a cavernous area to fight in. Along the way are jagged rocks providing as obstacles. A small river intersects which flows from the volcanic lake, creating an underground passage.

Underground: The path that leads to the volcanic lake becomes a wide room, allowing jagged spikes to come down from the ceiling, much like the atmosphere against Yakkon. There's a waterfall cascading from the lake, and off to the side, an opening leading to a dirt battleground.

Biting off more than I can chew, I know. I think this is a grade A challenge even to a very skilled mapper, but I believe there's always more to be gained taking the difficult route.

I'm serious about giving this my best and seeing what I can do. Currently I'm using Valve Editor and relying on basic Valve tutorials. If there's any direction which can be provided, I'd appreciate it. Discussing conceptuals on mapping would be great for my foresight as well, thanks.​

List
There's a huge array of textures needed for this map. My plan is to put in placeholders while I focus on creating the skeleton. Afterwards, I'm hoping to get additional help or direction to fill in the blanks.

In case others have already map a Planet Vegeta map or were planning on one, I've decided to focus only on the terrain and no actual locations like the city or landing area. I'm hoping to use these, if they exist, as background objects in my skybox. Let me know if you're aware of any.

Advanced maneuvers for manipulating and shaping terrain would be appreciated.

Tips on scaling the map would be great. I don't know if I need to scale it smaller since ESF models are scaled down already.

Anything you can tell me to help me get the initial creation I make closer to the product will benefit me tremendously. Thanks.​

Last edited:
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Well you can take Mars as a real example to make the map. It has small pin forrests, small lakes and some rivers in it's summer and it has a red soil filled with iron.
The water should be blue. Making it purple would mean it has a different chemical composition making it probably toxic to touch.

The land color could vary from a reddish tint to a yellow, desert like color with a ground littered with volcanic rocks (since it will be a volcanic active map) and with a clear blue sky, since it has plants and vegetation to provide oxygen.

And the plants should be plants that can survive in harsh conditions. Maybe pine trees?

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
The water should be blue. Making it purple would mean it has a different chemical composition making it probably toxic to touch.
Since when is water blue? o.o

Anyway, Disguise, you should start small, like at the center and make sure it's all perfect (and that it works) then just build around it.
It's a good way to make your map, since if something goes wrong at some point you will know what exactly caused the problem.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Guess ever since the "big bang".
Water is colourless. But Due to the fact that large quantities of water reflect light differently than small quantities it gives off a blueish colour in lakes and similar. Some times itll even give off a greenish colour. Ofcourse ti allso depends on the time of day as in the angle of the sun to the surface.

Best answers
Update #1: Conceptual Layout & Cavern Wall

The small blue cylinder is the size of a person.

There's a lot of details missing, but that's the generic layout. The underground area that the river and lava flows into will have gas coming out from the floor, making it harder to see. The lava will provide a dim lighting effect.

Gas will also be coming out of cracks in the canyon floors, where various rocks and the shape of the canyon itself may interfere.

EDIT
The skybox is important here. To the north, the canyon leads to showing the skyscraper in the background. To the east, volcanoes are erupting in the background. To the northwest counter-clockwise to southeast, it's a combination of dirt and grass. The skyline goes from a darker red - orange - yellow.

This is the edge lines I've created for the cavern. Any suggestions on creating the walls and changing the lighting to better display WIP would be good.

Also, I'm currently creating vertices by Connecting selected Edges. It requires a lot of Edge removal afterwards. If there's a simpler way, let me know, thanks.

I'm always open for suggestions on my layout. Let me know what you think should be included, added, or modified.

Last edited:
Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
interesting.... I like the idea so far... See if youc an make it... BIG... map that is.

Best answers
I decided to start creating grids on the surface areas instead of make several triangles. Once it's all set on square grids, I can start pulling/pushing the areas in and out, and THEN create triangles between the corners. I think it'll make the textures apply a lot better, which is a big concern of mine.

It's very easy to just create a bunch of vertices and make the surface areas mold well, but I think having a method will add consistency, which I currently lack.

Any advice on adding grids onto face areas? I was considering starting on the other canyon wall by turning it into a huge grid.

Best answers
I've been a little delayed since I'm remaking my mom's bathroom. Slow but steady though.

I figured out how to create the grid's on objects like I wanted and learned about using Quickslice on Faces. It works great for what I want to do. I created a canyon that's like a million times better based on an image I found in Google. The canyons in the anime weren't very detailed or original, and I saw some slight resemblances to real life canyons, so I figured I'd go with the more detailed.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq177/crack3rm4n/canyonWIP1.jpg

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq177/crack3rm4n/canyonWIP2.jpg

Looks a million times better than the other wall, and it's much easier to create an manipulate. I plan on doing the same thing with the above ground. I'll just create grids throughout the whole map and create variances in the land. When I decide where I want objects to go, I'll create more grids within a smaller area and shape them out of the landscape.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Just remember to wach the overall polycount. You dont want to much of them.

Best answers
Update #2: Lake, Volcano, Overhead Waterfall, Underground, and Flatland.

Got a bit of work done. I highlighted the place holders in blue. Size of a player is the red dot.

I got a good volcano made with an inside that you can fly into. I might consider making part of it destructible, but I don't know anything about how destructible terrain works yet.

I wanted an overhead rock cliff for the waterfall so it wasn't awkwardly open, and I figured I'd make a hill that was eroded from the waterfall. I think it looks cool. I also developed a slightly raise flat rock area to fight on, acting kind of like the Cell Games platform, except much less obvious.

I also created the underground room, but before I can really focus on working it better I need to find out how to make faces on objects invisible so I can really get inside it. Otherwise I might have to delete and recreate the faces later.

Former Forcepit Member :(
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Dude thats starting to look fantastic

๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I presume that the part of the canyon that doesn't have water flowing through it will have some details such as rocks or something.

Best answers
Yeah I'm in the process of creating mid sized rocks. There's so many different types that I have to make. I'm planning on just modifying the surface rocks to different sizes and shapes, with some minor customization. For the underground and canyon, I'm going to make them more spiked and angled.

You probably won't see that for awhile though since I'm focusing on the larger objects first and foremost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom