✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Alright i found my "old" Oblivion DVD and decided to install the game since i wanted to play some RPG. Anyway i pop the disc in and my DVD-RW starts "reading" it and then it "autoruns" but the autorun is an empty disc window and it's like there is nothing on the DVD but when i click on properties it says it's full... Then i threw in some random backup DVD which is scratched (unlike my Oblivion DVD which looks the same it did when i bought it) and it reads it no problem.... What the hell is going on??

Oh and i forgot to mention. It takes around 2 minutes to read it and while reading it i hear a sound similar to those of that floppy makes when reading a diskette in approx. 1.5 second intervals

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Used to have that one drive that refused to read like every 5th disk.... canned it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Used to have that one drive that refused to read like every 5th disk.... canned it.
Yea it seems my drive is ****ed up. After i think 23rd time i popped the disc in it read it properly. Sadly i don't have enough money to buy a new one so i guess i'll just torrent the games and use my own serial keys for the games(that is allowed isn't it?? If i already own the game and the original serial it isn't considered as piracy?)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Try right Clicking the DVD drive and press Open, find the Setup.exe and install the game manually instead of waiting for autorun

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
best place to get dvd rw is by going to the local scrap yard i have found some good dvd rw's there some with games still in the drive

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Got a DVD burner in your PC? Try opening the DVD with that if you have. Sometimes DVD's need the more accurate lasers of a DVD burner to be read properly.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Got a DVD burner in your PC? Try opening the DVD with that if you have. Sometimes DVD's need the more accurate lasers of a DVD burner to be read properly.
It seems i made a mistake. I referred my DVD burner as a DVD-RW. Anyway there is nothing wrong with the game disc i tried it on my friends PC a couple of times and it got read every time

Try right Clicking the DVD drive and press Open, find the Setup.exe and install the game manually instead of waiting for autorun
I would do that if it didn't show up as a blank CD. I can open it in My Computer but it just shows up as empty. I even installed DVD decrypter and it shows it is full and everything but i can't see any of it. Only after a few minutes of ejecting and inserting the "holder"(or is it a drawer??) back in it manages to read it. Most of the time i don't hear the noise it makes when it spins it instead i hear a weird sound similar to the one floppy makes when reading diskettes.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
could be dust particles on the laser i suggest getting a cd laser cleaning set

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
could be dust particles on the laser i suggest getting a cd laser cleaning set
I don't think i can afford that now as i currently stand so i might do it manually(hoping it won't break). Also it might be its old age(been using it since 2005) so it finally decided to die a slow death

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DVD drives are relatively unexpensive. You can find DVD readers for as low as $15 USD on new egg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom