Best answers
after installing photoshop, and starting it up for the first time a popup window came up and said:

"you currently have adobe photoshop's primary scratch and window's primary paging file on the same volume, which can result in reduced performance. It is recommended that you set adobe photoshop's primary scratch volume to be on a different volume, preferably on a different physical drive."

i have the photoshop on 2 computers, and it works fine on teh other one. what am i supposed to do if i dont have another physical drive? what is a physical drive? i dont get this stuff...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mine said that too but I just ignored it and my photoshop works perfect but I have a better than average computer but I couldnt figure out what it meant either.

Best answers
Ok.. here goes. Basically, Photoshop can open extremely large files (by large I mean 20+ megs) but for you to be able to edit files of these sizes you'd need an insane ammount of memory.. and no one has enough RAM to edit these types of files, especially storing all the undo/redo settings, extra layers etc. This is where the 'Scratch Disk' thing kicks in.

A 'Scratch Disk' is an overflow area for Photoshop.. basically when editing an insanely large image Photoshop will take up hard-drive space to compensate for insufficient RAM. To do this it has to bypass your operating system (note why the message says something about being on the same volume as window's paging file). So to wrap it up.. you can ignore the message until you get to editing files that are abnormally large.. at that point you'll need to get yourself a new hard-drive and make it your Photoshop Scratch Drive.

Hope that clears that up ;)

Best answers
my comp is way better than average. i biult this thing myself almost a month ago. it worked perfectly on my other older computer though.

i went to the spoono tutorial and tried to do the ice text thing on it, it was really hard and i failed. the wind effect didnt work, and the color didnt turn anywhere near blue, it stayed rainbow, and when i rotated it 90 CW i could see the outline of the figure from before it was rotated.

has anyone of you guys successfully do the ice text thing? i think this problem is the reason why i cant do it...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well I wasnt insulting your computer but I everything works fine on mine but I have 2 hard drives 2 so I can just make my second PS scratch drive when or If i edit large files ok thanks Gotenks.

Best answers
1_heart_boobies said:
my comp is way better than average. i biult this thing myself almost a month ago. it worked perfectly on my other older computer though.

i went to the spoono tutorial and tried to do the ice text thing on it, it was really hard and i failed. the wind effect didnt work, and the color didnt turn anywhere near blue, it stayed rainbow, and when i rotated it 90 CW i could see the outline of the figure from before it was rotated.

has anyone of you guys successfully do the ice text thing? i think this problem is the reason why i cant do it...
its either this thing is screwing me up when i tried to do the ice text thing or i jsut really suck at photoshop...html was so much easier to learn...

my hard drice is 80GB and ive only used 10 gb :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Photoshop isnt hard its just confusing for people who are new to it and If you followed the directions on that tutorial it should work so if you followed them try uninstalling it and reinstalling it that might help.

Best answers
i didnt think that you were flaming my computer...i was just saying that :(

i should have just downloaded this thing from kazaa or something :S

i have a question about layers though...what do they do? ;/ i dont get it...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well layers hmm... I dont know how to explain it but here goes I generally make a new layer when I add something to my sig or whatever it is and you can mess with layer options such as Overlay, Lumination each changes the background someway do you see what I mean kinda

*Never thought explaining layers would be so hard*

Best answers
Layers? Think of it like a sandwich. A sandwich has 3 main layers.. bread, filling, bread. You can add more layers to it to make it taste better, or worse in some cases. Say you add 2 more layers.. so now we have bread, lettuce, filling, pickles, bread.

Ok, all the bread talk over with.. a layer is basically another image at the same size as you main image. The layer coveres the image and can have anything on it.

The big advantage of layers is the different blending modes (Colour dodge, hard light, soft light etc) as these give different effects. The other major advantage is that any effects done on that layer don't effect the other layers or your background so you can make a text layer and motion blur the edges or something without harming any images or the background of the piece.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now that is how you explain layers :p. * thinks I might need a sandwich* My hats off to you Gotenks.

Best answers
HAHAH, thanks for the help.

the sandwhich part i thought was kind of pointless and funny :)
i didnt really get what you were trying to say until you sumed it all up at the end.

thanks for explaining it to me you 2 :D

....so far...the only thing i could do correctly from the tutorials is the lightning background effect thing where you use the cloud filter and invert it and all that :]

do the tutorials for versoin 6 work for version 7? cuz i havent tried those yet :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes they do, but they are going to be just as confusing if you dont know what your doing. the thing with photoshop is that you have to learn the basics first. when ou first get the program even the most basic fx tutorials and stuff are going to be confusing for you. Instead, you hould loook for getting started tutorials that explain the functions of all photoshops tools and that sort of thing

Best answers
TBH I think i've had a harder time learning to make good sigs as i've been using Paintshop Pro 7 which is pretty much filterless. In other words it takes alot more work to get some effects you can get with 1 click on Photoshop. The problem is, I just don't like Photoshop as much ^_^

As for the explaining.. no problem, was glad to. Anything else you have problems with just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom