Peprsi, Sprite ****s up vital parts of DNA

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sodium benzoate is a very widespread food preservative used much under 0.1% in many foods from soup to cereals. The considerable time between the production and the consumption of food today makes some use of preservatives necessary in order to prevent spoilage and undersirable alterations in color, flavor, or nutrients. Degradation pathways for benzoic acid (produced in the body from the sodium salt) have been studied in detail and have shown the harmlessness of this substance: 75-80% is excreted within 6 hours, and the total dose leaves the body within about 10 hours. It does not cause cancer. The limit of sodium benzoate in foods is not because of its toxicity, but at levels higher than 0.1% will leave an unacceptable aftertaste. Foods containing this preservative are much healthier than non-preservative foods since harmfull microorganism growth is inhibited, food oxidation is prevented, and food nutrients are preserved.

Chronic toxicities were examined in rats fed diets containing up to a total of 1%. After 4 generations there were no changes in normal patterns of growth, reproduction, lactation and no morphological abnomalities of organs. Acute toxicity studies, where one large dose of sodium benzoate is given to animals, showed no lethal effects until 2 grams per kg. body wt. was administered. One could not eat enough foods containing sodium benzoate to even get 0.002% of this amount!

Limits of sodium benzoate in foods is not because of toxicity, but it will impart a taste that will make some foods unacceptable. This is a very non-toxic compound and foods containing presevatives are usually much healthier since harmful microorganism growth is inhibited, oxidation is checked, and nutrients, natural or added, are saved.
Source: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-09/969376641.Ch.r.html

While what I quoted is eight years old, investigations have already been conducted since then into the claims that Sodium Benzoate is harmful. But to my knowledge, nothing came up in the investigations that verified those claims.

Oh well. Even if Sodium Benzoate does kill you, at least you died doing what you enjoyed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Queue VideoJinx*

IT'S VERY VERY BAD, OKAY? But it's so damn good.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If what is claimed in this article is true, then its worse than I thought. And I already thought it was pretty bad

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is pretty old news.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
IT'S VERY VERY BAD, OKAY? But it's so damn good.
Personally, i'm trying to stop drinking these kind of things;they're obviously not good for all of us(and at the same time good tasting,i know)!
I haven't drank one fizzy drink in aprox. two months and i survived!:yes:

Last edited:
Best answers
i cant even go one day without a fizzy drink, i have atleast half a litre a day

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyway, i'd prefer to be more cautious than before about what i drink!
eg.

(at least it has about 50% fruit content)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw people leaving a tooth in the glass of Coke during whole night and in the morning there was half of the tooth left. (saw it on "Brainiac" Discovery channel)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw people leaving a tooth in the glass of Coke during whole night and in the morning there was half of the tooth left. (saw it on "Brainiac" Discovery channel)
The same would happen if you use sparkling water, it's the carbonic acid.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The same would happen if you use sparkling water, it's the carbonic acid.
You're right!
Lukyas,we're talking here about long term effects from chemicals that are in the fizzy drinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom