Pentium-D 805 @ 4.1 GHz for $130 USD

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

I posted this in the Opty vs X2 thread, but I feel this is amazing enough to warrant it's own thread. This CPU can take all but the top of the line CPU's by both AMD and Intel once properly OC'ed and cooled. New mobo and RAM are needed if you're upgrading as it will only work with DDR-2 (afaik... this isn't my area of expertise) and a native DDR2-800 mobo is needed for the 4.0 multiplyer (again, not my area of expertise). But, considering what one of the chips that can compete against it would cost, you're still saving a ton.

Read, discuss... I would give more info, but I can hear Rexall roaring on the TV in the other room!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A PentiumD 820 is a little bit higher in price, but not by much. I have not seen any 805 chips hit 800mhz fsb stable though (And as from what the tests show they had to use water cooling to clock the chip at 4.1ghz, and the average joe isn't going to be using water cooling and overclocknig isn't for everyone in the market for a pc).

Best answers
Is it available in Socket 478 or just 775? I hope its available in 478 because I would like to buy this.

And would it be as good as my current processor when it comes to gaming? ( I currently have a P4e 3.0ghz, 2mb L2 Cache, Socket 478, 800mhz fsb)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it's just 775, but without a new mobo, I'm guessing you probably couldn't take it all the way to 4 GHz. Their charts show it up against all manner of other CPU's at all the different speeds they OC'ed it to.

Best answers
My Mobo can currently overclock my processor to 5.3 ghz. But It'll never reach that high because of improper cooling. Meh, I'd like to get one, but it dont sound like I will now.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
My Mobo can currently overclock my processor to 5.3 ghz. But It'll never reach that high because of improper cooling. Meh, I'd like to get one, but it dont sound like I will now.
More to teh question though is are you able to get your processor stable at that speed (given the coolnig you may use, and the voltage requirements & temp readings).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
More to teh question though is are you able to get your processor stable at that speed (given the coolnig you may use, and the voltage requirements & temp readings).
More to "teh" question is if it is even possible for his processor to get there, period. Just because one can doesn't mean they all can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom