Pen and Paper RPG's

Best answers
This thread is for everything related to Pen and Paper RPG's. Post your characters, tell us some in game stories/experiences, likes and dislikes with new or old systems, news about upcoming releases. Whatever as long as its about Pen and Paper RPG's.

Best answers
oh my god....i could post..sooooooo much geek related stuff that would make the nerdest of you crawl with distaste...:D

my favorite Experience has to have been the massive 8 + game of the fallout pen and paper,it was my big sleep over and i cleared down stairs and me got one HUGE table...popcorn....dr pepper...ect ect....and its lasted..hmm.....er.....bout 9 hours methinks....and we still didnt finsh per say........oh god im not looking doward to carring that game on.....

anyway get cuc to post his chara i know he plays D&D paper style...(it would seem just right that cuc never really plays but that hes the DM..or in his case the CM)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know I tried it... but my stupid friends make the whole experience like that Dr. Demento skit.

"Where am I?"
"You're uh.. in a bar."
"Are there any girls in the bar?"
"Uh.. y-"
"Because if there are any girls, I want to do them!!! NyAHHH HEHEH"

Some of my friends are huuuuge f'ing geeks.

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If cucumba see this thread he will DM you all into the ground.

Best answers
not if i pull out my nerdy sword of anti-cuc + 7 he wont...muawhahahah...whats that cuc?...you say your immune to that effect...S**T.........*sighs*.....oh well....guess ill pull out my distracting get-away plan of runing like a girl + 5......................heh...it worked

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am well armed with trolls blood and rings of fire and acid resistance, so my pwnage still holds. :)

I'll post some things later.

Best answers
I've only played them a few times. I had a fat, sweaty orc who couldn't jump a 5ft ditch, and consequently fell to his death.

Then there was my Level 2 monk who got carried off by the huge black dragon our brain addled DM thought would make a fair, low level encounter.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
haha you should always know your jumps

heres one

A group of heros get traped in a stone prision. So how do they escape? They cast stone to flesh and eat there way out.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
After playing for many, many years. I began looking for campaigns that were difficult. I found my salvation in a freind of a freind. The pitch? A campaign with the realism slider jammed to maximum. If you ran into the wilderness, you'd likely crawl, dying of several maladies, into the next town. It was freakin' great.

None of our characters made it past 12th level, 2nd place was 9th, third was 6th. Some of us boasted dead PC counts . . . :)

At any rate, I had a character named Kairi Togen, an orphan of a warrior family that learned theivery to survive. As time went on, he became one hell of a fighter, and we traveled far and wide trying to hide a very powerful ring from an evil warlord. We were instructed, and I quote:

Go to the valley of the kings, under the shadow of Silvertop, and there at the emperor oak leave the ring buried in a shallow grave so that the first may never retrieve it.
And we set off to find Silvertop. We asked, and asked how big silvertop was. "ENORMOUS!" "HUGE!"

". . . and no one ever returns from the shadow of silver top."

Pfft, I fart in the general direction of failure . . .

We arrive at a lovely island mountain, complete with low clouds and a plateau beneath the peak. Well, those silvery clouds must give Silvertop it's name!

No, not really, they call Silvertop Silvertop because the mammoth blue dragon has silver scales on it's back.

Needless to say, we braved the mountains perils only to find death had leathery wings. One player survived, the one on the ship.

Moral? Always ask if that name belongs to a mountian ;)

Best answers
Here are some of my characters that I have been playing for years.

Rynn Hastlemoore Original 3rd edition character

Cypher Telselazar Converted from 2nd edition to 3rd

About the only two P&P RPG's that I have ever played are Star Wars second edition and AD&D 2nd and 3rd edition.

Has anyone seen some of the new 3.5 rules for D&D yet? I like what they did to fill out rangers a little more by giving them the option of either becoming good with two weapons or with bows instead of just 2 weapons. They also made them a little closer to nature with new skills and bonuses instead of just being a fighter that gets two weapons fighting feats for free. :yes:

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah... ha ha... good times...

Ah I remember back in the days of second edition when I used to gather my friends up at my house to play. One campaign sticks out in my mind... we had tried a few campaigns by this point and they all ended in bloody death because our group kept getting into fights and splitting up (as white people in scary situations do). Well in this campaign we were stranded on a very large island with a very large castle in the middle, which we and a group of NPCs were supposed to storm, so we could kill a massive black dragon that was raising hell in the general viscinity from his fortress atop the mountain (What is with these dragons on top of mountains?). Needless to say things started off poorly. The first night we camped we were attacked by owlbears... if I remember right... (we all started at level 7 this time around because we had been too good at dieing in previous compaigns from getting hit once or twice). Well after that we all had a couple of hit points and we had lost about 5 of our 12 or so NPCs, but hey, that's the way it goes, eh? Well we rested and healed like mad and by the time the PC group left the NPCs had moved on without us and taken a different trail. Well, all except for the Druid, who was my friend Sayjo, who decided that he wanted to follow the other NPCs back before the rest of us decided not to take that route.

So the (majority of the) PCs reached the castle by following our guide NPC (the one that didn't leave) down a staircase on top late at night while the dragon was supposedly asleep. After we wandered inside for a while we came across a dark and mysterious pool of water (the bane of all D&D campaigns. Water scares the hell out of me in D&D). The water looked normal-ish enough, and the guide was leaning down to drink some, when I decided I would go ahead and get the first gulp in. Well that wasn't in the campaign to say the least, and Fro (the DM at the time) decided that he would mix things up with it a little bit. See, in the original story, the guide was supposed to drink out of it and turn into a vampire which would stalk the party as they dungeon crawled. Instead, my evil Cleric turned into the vampire (and proceeded to stalk the group around the castle, ironically eating the guide that was supposed to eat us).

After I had begun to turn while we went throughout the castle daylight kicked up outside, and when we tried to leave I took some serious damage. Noticing that I was smoking violently, the rest of my team figured out what had happened to the guide and tried to kill me. I vaporized and took off back to the center of the castle while they all left through the front and went to find the NPCs. When I reappeared I got a nice taste of angry black dragon. I didn't die, but I got some breath weapon, and I was assured that if I didn't do as I was told I would be thorougly devoured. So much for magical vampire powers eh?

Anyway, in the meantime, Sayjo was still wandering around with those NPCs. They crossed a marsh and came upon a large cave aside a hilly mountain. Upon closer inspection an angry green dragon charged out of it and began exchanging some hostil words with the NPC group. In the meantime, Sayjo decided it would be a smart idea to sneak into the back of that cave and look through the dragon's treasure (He is a druid, mind you). He found a magical horn (I can't think of what it is called, the kind you blow that has a 1 in 20-(the number of times you use it) chance of blowing up in your face whenever you use it.) Well when the dragon started back into the cave he noticed Josh(Sayjo) leaving, and when he started after Josh, Josh instinctively whipped out that horn and fired it into the cave, causing a massive avalance and stunning the dragon. How long? Long enough for Josh to take off over a hill and hide in a deep forest before his NPC companions were wiped off of the face of the island. Good job Josh.

Meanwhile I had escaped the black dragon's patrols and taken off back into one of the old teasure rooms in the castle. As it was litered with bones, and I was an evil cleric, I rose about 6 skeletons and told them to watch the door, attacking any thing that came through it, as a distraction for that black dragon. When night fell I just took off in vapor form and flew off looking for my friends. The same night, to my shagrin, those friends went *back* to the castle looking for the treasure they had missed out on the first time around. Needless to say... the first door they opened, they got jumped mercilessly by my skeletons. -_-' They didn't get killed or anything, but that sure shook them up and shaved off a few hit points. Needless to say I was laughing my ass off from across the room that we were playing in.

Back to Josh! The adventures of the poor misguided level 7 druid. Josh was still in that forest at this point, trying to find his way towards that castle so that he could meet up with the rest of us, or what was left of us. Monkeys were giving him a hard time, screaming at him and whatnot, because he was banging on stuff trying to get through the forest. He screamed back at one of the chimpanzees so I told the DM it would be pretty funny of the chimp just jumped him for smacking his tree. And so he did. The chimpanzee, which could not have survived a single solid blow from Josh's staff, and only did somewhere around 1d3 or 1d3+1 damage, requiring a roll of over 16 to hit Josh's character, almost won the fight. That was the most hilarious, ridiculous battle I have ever seen in my history of D&D gameplay. Josh only rolled higher than a 4 once in that entire fight, and once he did, he killed the chimp. He rolled more than 8 times before he rolled anything other than a 1, 2, 3, or 4. He only needed a 5 to hit. The monkey on the other hand rolled 3 20s, a few 17s, and some 18s and 19s. Josh came out of this with 4 hit points left out of about 36. We still don't let him forget that fight to this day.

Well to wrap things up because I'm going on too long here, one of the PCs (Scott) who hated my character for becoming a vampire fell to my vampire's fang when I returned to the castle, another friend (Will) was eaten by mushroom people, I flew off trying to escape the castle and was eaten by a giant acid throwing water monster over the ocean, and Josh wandered away from a camp we all set up after we regrouped for the first time (before we all started dieing) and was destroyed by an armvourax.

All in all I'd say the the campaign was a success, wouldn't you?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Geez, I can tell you've really been itching to tell that little tale o_O

Best answers
I have always dreamed of playing a campaign with a party of rogues working together to accomplish a heist or an assassination or whatever might bring the most cash at the time. To bad there are always those people that can’t make the transition from Fighter to well something that doesn’t kill as often.

Had this one fight with this giant planar type creature that was supposed to be a party killer, keep in mind we were all around 14th level. In the first round our monk went jumping in only to be caught in mid air and almost completely torn to pieces by this thing. Second round the ranger, fighter, and cleric surround it but couldn’t touch it because of its high AC. Monk still getting torn to shreds but staying alive only by the graces of luck and the cleric.

Third round I decide huh, this thing is large and doesn’t look very swift, it must have a bad ref save, so I cast grease a 1st level spell. The creature fails its ref save with a 1 so it falls giving the tanks a better chance to hit it, so I was pretty happy but what happened next was just insane. Everybody that had surrounded this beast got at least one critical, Donk our main fighter got 3 in a row. Now this thing must of had well over 300+ hit points but in the course of 1 round the party killing creature was laying on the ground dead, the killing blow came from our 12th level charging wizard that also got a critical hit.

It’s amazing how things can go so well and so bad in an instant.

EDIT:

Case in point of a good situation going bad and then being made even worse:

Same party but before the story above, we were around 9th level and exploring this ruined keep/dungeon for this rich person who was looking for family air looms. Before we got to the dungeon we had encountered a few hill giants and a young adult green dragon. The hill giants were slaughtered and I turned the dragon to stone with this dagger I found, that when you hit a creature with a critical hit, I needed a 19, it needs to make a save or be turned to stone, it needed a 2 to succeed but rolled a 1 instead.

Needless to say we were feeling real good about ourselves when we came upon the ruins. Now I can’t remember how but we got transported to some other dungeon a long ways a way. As soon as we got there the bad luck started happening. We hit every trap in the place, get glued to the ground, then this screaming whispering and jabbering spirit of chaos decided to descend upon up.

This thing is impossible to hit with what we’ve got for weapons and magic has little effect so we are forced to run for our lives, luckily it is not as fast as we are. I stop and tell the group that I could cast a ropetrick spell and we could hide for a few hours, heal up and plan something.

The ropetrick spell creates an extra dimensional pocket where up to 8 people can stay but nothing else can see them. The only problem with the spell is that if another extra dimensional pocket is brought into an existing pocket you go for a 1-way trip to another plane, usually the astral plane. So I cast the spell jump into the pocket and I usher in the priest, fighter, wizard, and then the ranger, leaving only the monk and other fighter to go.

That’s when all of a sudden the ropetrick close in on itself and we are violently thrown from the material plane to the astral plane. Come to find out the ranger had picked up a quiver that allowed him to store more arrows in it than it would normally allow by the graces of a extra dimensional pocket and didn’t tell anyone before he jumped in sending us on a one way trip and stranding the others behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom