Peak Oil:A MUST READ

Best answers
http://lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ I think I will let the link speak for itself. But please don't read two paragraphs and make an assumption about it, if you read it all you will find it is very intelligent and makes great conclusions.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GhostBoi said:
http://lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

The issue is not one of "running out" so much as it is not having enough to keep our economy running. In this regard, the ramifications of Peak Oil for our civilization are similar to the ramifications of dehydration for the human body. The human body is 70 percent water. The body of a 200 pound man thus holds 140 pounds of water. Because water is so crucial to everything the human body does, the man doesn't need to lose all 140 pounds of water weight before collapsing due to dehydration. A loss of as little as 10-15 pounds of water may be enough to kill him.

In a similar sense, an oil-based economy such as ours doesn't have to deplete its entire reserve of oil before it begins to collapse. A shortfall between demand and supply as little as 10-15 percent is enough to wholly shatter an oil-dependent economy and reduce its citizenry to poverty.

thats interesting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im half way through the second page.

What a downer. I guess weve gotta live now, cause were all ****ed later.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Just to make sure nobody misunderstood this.

The oil will NEVER run out, only the production will decrease tremendously.

Also this peak, is called Hubbert peak, it was made in the later 70's if I recall correctly.(School, had this subject a month ago)

No worries, new technologies are already ready, now we only have to wait for oil to get expensives enough for people using alternative fuels.

EDIT: Typo.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well that took awhile to read.
Seemed pretty interesting to me.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i thought this was common knowledge?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
These guys seem to be playing it up a good deal though. The author makes it seem that either everything will be fine or that humanity will become extinct. Maybe people will realize that they dont need 3 cars, and air conditioner, a third TV, and a dozen electronic gizmos to live. If we werent so wasteful, all these alternatives would be much more viable.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm... That sucks lol
Maybe when we're all old we'll have to live like cave men.. except getting as stupid..

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guess what's going to happen when we do run out of oil? Much more insentive to find other sources. If we take a bit of a fall, no biggie, we'll still survive.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hydro, Nuclear, Solar, Wind, Water, Heart...go Planet!
There's plenty of alternative fuels, many of them renewable. They may not be as convinient or powerful but they're much cleaner for the environment so in the long run it might even be a good thing.

Also, it could mean that more money goes into research of new technologies for energy. Cold Fusion reactors anybody? :)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only reason renewable energy hasn't taken over as of now is simply a cost/benefit issue. Right now, it's easier and more profitable to run with oil. Once it hits a critical juncture, we'll see many companies quickly switching gears and adopting the already available new technologies.

-Karrde-

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Magus said:
PSh.

Anti-matter will be the new power source :O
Cars with anti-matter!

Dad, go to warp 8!

Users who are viewing this thread