PC won't shut down properly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since about a week ago I can't shut down my PC normally. After i do, it just restarts and the PC has keyboard problems. I tried clicking the power button, same effect. Tried holding it for 4 secs, still the same. My bet's on either the BIOS malfuntioning, or the CMOS battery. Since once when i plugged it out in order to turn it off, the battery got empty over night and I had to recharge it to even turn on my PC. Am I making any sense at all? And does anyone know how to fix this?

And please, if you're gonna troll the thread by saying 'get SP2', don't even try to reply. That's the last thing I need.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Luk, such "Hentai" reply is totally not needed.. And actually, why don't you get SP2 Fanatic? You do realize that SP2 has quite a lot of changes, which might even fix the shutdown problem. But, as you said it only happened a week ago.

I'd say you should either do a complete virus, spyware scan if you haven't already done so. If that doesn't work, a system restore to more then a week ago.. And if that doesn't work, a format and re-installation of windows. Which always does the trick.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since about a week ago I can't shut down my PC normally. After i do, it just restarts and the PC has keyboard problems. I tried clicking the power button, same effect. Tried holding it for 4 secs, still the same. My bet's on either the BIOS malfuntioning, or the CMOS battery. Since once when i plugged it out in order to turn it off, the battery got empty over night and I had to recharge it to even turn on my PC. Am I making any sense at all? And does anyone know how to fix this?

And please, if you're gonna troll the thread by saying 'get SP2', don't even try to reply. That's the last thing I need.
Are you still using a PS2 Keyboard? If so, try a USB one. If you are using a USB one, try the PS2 port. Work on the simplest solutions first, it may simply be your keyboard.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Installed SP2, and did a virus scan with AVG and Kaspersky, still the same problem. And I don't think the keyboard is the problem, i tried plugging it out completely and it still doesn't shut down, while on my dad's PC it can shut down with no keyboard plugged in. So it can't be that. By now I'm 90% sure it's my CMOS, the other 10% is that something's ****ed up in my BIOS. Should I go for a new CMOS? I mean, it's only a lithium battery, how much can it cost?

Just need some confirmation if this makes any sense whatsoever.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
3 years and a bit more, but I replaced my power supply about a year ago.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your CMOS battery should not be dead in 3 years.

You also didn't answer my question about your keyboard being USB or PS2.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Update on the situation. Today when I came home from school, started my PC, and it friggin' restarted by itself after 5 min. Happened twice now, and may happe again. What's weird is that after that, before the PC even passes its self-test, in order to start up Windows, it restarts again. And so on and on and on....

So I turned it off by unpluging it, plugged it back in, and the CMOS recharged. Dunno how long it's gonna last. But it's on death's door, me thinks.

As for the keyboard, it's PS/2. Really isn't available right now to get an USB one, but be sure I'll try it when I get the chance. That is, if the event that just happened doesn't eliminate that as a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom