Pc refuses to start up.

Best answers
Aight, my pc isnt starting up (as you already know :p). I've had to run it in safe mode for some time now. I've had lots of problems with it before so yesterday I did a system restore. Started to wrok fine but now this morning for no reason it just wont start up. Any help with my annoying peice of crap computer?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Won't start u p as in won't turn on? Or won't start as in turns on, but doesn't boot?

Case 1: I'd say power supply.
Case 2: I'd say HD/Mother Board/CPU.

Not an expert but I've had problems like this in the past.

Best answers
Well it turns on but wont boot up. Like it freezes up at a screen that says at the top "Phoenix - Award workstatiomBIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally" Then like around the middle it says "Main Proccessor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Proccessor 3200+".

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well it turns on but wont boot up. Like it freezes up at a screen that says at the top "Phoenix - Award workstatiomBIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally" Then like around the middle it says "Main Proccessor : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Proccessor 3200+".
Sounds like you might have to reformat. I've had this problem before, but the only solution is a reformat.

Best answers
Wouldnt I need to boot up my PC in order to reformat....?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You insert a windows cd and reinstall windows. No need to boot the installed system.

Best answers
Thank you. I'll see if me or my dad can find the windows xp disc. But first I'll try something dealing with the powersupply like karrde said.

Best answers
Dont bother with the power supply... the problem is a software issue. Ive had this exact same problem twice. Windows **** out on you, my friend. Do a reformat and install Windows again dude.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
It only freezes during the Power on self test?

Well, its not a windows issue if it does it there, as no windows services etc are loaded at that stage.
My Athlon XP 3000+ Started doing this awhile ago, What I did was disconnected the power, Opened the case, pulled the battery out, pressed the power button while not plugged into the power, just to make sure theres no energy left in the PSU, connected everything back up, turned it on which in turn reset the BIOS, and all was good. It always froze on that first screen, Sometimes I managed to get in the bios but it would freeze straight away.
Its strange, I never even touched the bios or anything before that, but meh, hope my idea works for ya :)

Best answers
It only freezes during the Power on self test?

Well, its not a windows issue if it does it there, as no windows services etc are loaded at that stage.
Ah ****, i need to start reading better.... My bad, i completely skipped that post. I thought he was freezing at the Windows screen.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
lmao, same, I actually had to read it several times.
Also check your Ram voltage and your FSB they can cause issues.
Otherwise, hit it with a large stick. (Sometimes works y'know... Back in the days of 1998 I had a 28.8k dial-up modem which played up, it soon worked after stomping on it).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This sounds a lot like an issue my sister [has] with her laptop. First of all, I'd like to say Never Buy A Toshiba Fujitsu Laptop - they're glitchy--well some of them. Ours also freezes at the start up - where the Fujitsu logo is, and then it basically restarts on its own to do the same thing over. I was able to read into the BIOS and managed to fix it temporarily.

In this type of case, reformatting may not work. We've tried it a dozen times, and also brought it into Fry's Electronics to have it worked on. Four days after getting the thing back, it started to 'glitch' up again. We've spent over $600 on repairs/restores, so we're hoping to get a refund, or an exchange. This could either be software or a hardware issue. If you're reformatting it and it's still having problems I would tell you to have your hardware checked out. Some companies, or some people, just get insanely lazy or careless--one system out of a line of 10,000 is glitchy. I suppose it's nothing to get too worked up over, but it's still annoying having to spend so much money on repairs without knowing what's wrong--you or the frickin' technicians at Fry's.

Best answers
Well I use a PC, NOT A LAPTOP. Another thing, Could I just use my Window XP updater (no reformatting yet) cuz I don't have the actual XP installer disc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How in the world did you lose your restore disc?

Go have someone reformat it, and if it doesn't fix your issue then you may need a new computer, or do what I wouldn't recommend; have it repaired.

Best answers
Well my dad was the one that installing windows XP and he was being a dumbass saying "oh your computer will be fine! DEE DEE DEE!" So no, I don't have a damned back up disc er w/e the hell it is.

Best answers
Okay, you have 2 options:

Either go into youur computer and pull out your BIOS battery, expose it to air for 30 seconds or so then put it back in. It looks like the BIOS may have a problem if it freezes before Windows loads up. BUt then again, if your able to get into Safe Mode still, ignore this.

Second option - Format. Self-explanitory. And listen bud, there ARE ways to format if you don't have the disc, but it will involve either going into DOS, or booting through a floppy boot disc. But, like I said, if you CANNOT boot into Safe Mode, then remove the BIOS battery, it should fix it.

Best answers
Aight, my pc isnt starting up (as you already know :p). I've had to run it in safe mode for some time now. I've had lots of problems with it before so yesterday I did a system restore. Started to wrok fine but now this morning for no reason it just wont start up. Any help with my annoying peice of crap computer?
Hmm ive read this over a few times now... If you had to run it in safe mode at first, then that means that the hardware should be functioning. But since you restored it.. and now you cant boot up it sounds to me that either..

1. your copy of Windows is corrupt and you need a Reformat

or..

2. Your hard drive is starting to fail.

Ive had some wierd issues with windows, and it turned out that my hard drive was dying. You might want to check that out.

I'd reformat it then try to let it start. If that doesnt work, then put in a different hard drive that you know is good and is ready for a fresh install of windows. If it works after you swap drives, then your old one is going bad.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Its sounds like a motherboard problem to me. Try going into the bios and load defaults usually f9 then save usually f10, see if that helps.

what kind of motherboard do you have?

It might possibly be the hard drive going bad, (ie) randomly not being detected properly. What make is the hard drive?

Iv seen a similar problem where when a computer was powered on, the hard drive didnt get any power and it would hang the system at bootup, until the computer was restarted ctrl + alt + del. When it freezes try, ctrl + alt + del, and if it boots up.

Best answers
CMOS battery?

How to
btw, CMOS batteries are only around 3$ :| Atleast where I live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom