PC Not Booting

Best answers
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem that has arisen on my desktop PC could be?

What has happened in the last few days are, I had to take apart (unplug external stuff, and store computer in a wardrobe, not take apart any internal stuff) my PC and store is for a few days and then put it back together. After a day or so of use after putting it back together, during about 15 mins or less of running, my PC would just stop. It wouldn't take any input, mouse would not move, keyboard didn't work, pressing say CAP-LOCK didn't get a response from the light on the keyboard, and I had to hard reboot. After a few times of this, I hard rebooted and my PC stopped booting at all.

What is happening is that so far, everytime I switch my PC on, the case fans start spinning, and light on the CD ROM drive start flashing, but nothing else happens. My PC does not reach the stage where the first video output of the BIOS loading up, in-fact there is no video output. That first short beep I usually hear when I switch on my PC doesn't sound. I have openned up my case to check the CPU fan and video card fan are spinning. The little orange light for the RAM is on.

So far I have tried:
1) Taking out the 2 sticks of RAM I have and put them 1 at a time, in case one of RAM sticks was fried, and I get the same result.
2) Unplugged all IDE Connected drives (2 Hard Drives, 1 DVD ROM Drive, 1 CD-RW Drive) and tried but same thing.
3) Swapped my Radeon 9800 for a NVidia MX400 and same result.

Even though the lights go on, and fans start spinning, im sure I can't hear the hard disks spinning, but that could be because the boot process didn't get far enough along.

I think that my PC is failing the P.O.S.T. and if this is the case, is there anything I could do or try to sort this out, or does this spell the end of my MotherBoard?

I have a:
AMD 64 3200+ K8 Socket754
Gigabyte K8NS Pro MotherBoard
2x512Mb RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 128Mb Video Card (AGP)

Any Help would be appriciated and let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thanks
madgik

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd try resetting your bios, which you can do by either taking out the bios battery in the mainboard and putting it back in or by changing a jumper on your mainboard.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
take out the battery wait a minute and put it in. worked for me...

Best answers
OK, well I tried taking out the battery and left it for a while (30 mins) and put it back in. My computer now is on 50/50 mode, meaning, sometimes it boots up into BIOS and sometimes it doesn't. I have a Dual BIOS Mobo, and I've tried booting from each (booting meaning, the times it boots I've quickly changed settings to boot from main BIOS or BackUp), one being the standard version that came with the board, and one being an update I did a while ago. For each one, I get a system lock up within 5-10mins of being in BIOS settings. When I let the computer Boot Up past the BIOS, it locks up at the 'Verifiying DMI'. I cannot for instance turn on CAP-LOCK or NUM-LOCK or F-LOCK, but the cursor on the screen does blink, so I think that my computer hasn't completely locked up at least.

Anymore ideas about the 50/50 boot thing, and the system lock up?

And im getting net access through my laptop to answer bobmundo123 question.

Thanks

madgik

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom