PC-> HDTV issues, video playback

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok well, my old pc to my surprise had a DVI-output (whereas my new one does not)

i tried hooking it up to my panasonic 1080p HDTV, set it to the appropriate resolution and windows looks great, and still images look proper (aside from being a little oversaturated) i was thinking GREAT, I can use my old tv as a full fledged media center, without having to worry about codecs like the ps3, right?......wrong.

I pop in an old backup disc with a few old naruto episodes to test it out, and well they look horrible. Like incredibly low resolution, and i dont just mean because it stretched it to fill the screen, they were blocky as hell, especially on darks, and lighter colors appeared washed out.

I assume something might be wrong with the source file, the disc has been sitting around dirty for like a year, but i go download a naruto episode, one of the newer ones thats in widescreen and better quality than the older ones, still not HD but much better than the originals.

but nope, same problem.

upon trying different resolutions to see if that was the problem i apparently set it to one the TV support, so it just shut off (upon googling this, i discovered doing this can destroy your tv so i wont be doing this again) So i rebooted, and figured id try the VGA craptastic color boot mode I use when im having trouble with my pc monitor.

and to my surprise, despite being stuck in a low resolution, the video playback was flawless. The colors were as they should be, but since it was basically in safe mode since i booted into VGA mode it was very choppy.

playback in the standard video mode was smooth as silk, just it had the blocky appearance so i know its not a problem with the pc being too weak to play the file in question.

Im really hitting a wall here, with one way windows itself looks flawless but video playback looks like utter ****, but the other way the color is just fine so i know my pc and TV both are CAPABLE of playing it properly. Just i cant for the life of me figure out what is causing the problem.

googling "blocky video" doesnt really find anything specific enough to help me, nor do i really know what the problem is i just know what it looks like.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the best way i know of fixing your prob is using the divx converter to put naruto to hd mode

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its not a problem with the resolution of the source file.

the blockiness doesnt look like the kind you get when you stretch a low res image to a bigger size, it almost looks like some kind of interference or noise. I dont know how to explain it,

id screencap it if i could, but well unless my logic is failing me the screencaps wouldnt reflect it.

worth noting I AM using a DVI->HDMI adapter (because it was cheaper than buying a DVI->HDMI cable. A quick google suggested that this wasnt a problem and seeing as windows itself looks just fine and it only manifests itself on video playback (so far) im inclined to assume that it isnt the problem.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've found that my HDTV (which I'm currently using as a monitor) does not like 1080i. It can display at that resolution fine from my game consoles, but my video card and TV do not play nice at that resolution.

I have found that my TV has a 1280x768 that it likes, and a 1280x720 (720p) that it likes, and not much else. Try checking your refresh rates as well, they might be too high for the monitor to draw correctly. Experimenting with your refresh rates and resolutions should fix up yoru problem.

Also, make sure that Windows isn't seeing your HDTV as the last monitor that was hooked up to your computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom