PC cooling

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well, simply my computer heats up lately, I want to take care of it.

I thought about it, maybe I can not buy some cooling device like a fan or water cooling and use something in the house, like a normal fan and activate it near the PC.

Anyone got any creative cooling solutions that can be made from household equipment?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here is one. Clean the thing. The dust that gathers inside the computer is allso responsible for raising the heat. So just cleaning it out can sometimes fo wonders.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
indeed get the vacume pipe on the fans and such

Best answers
As already suggested, clean all the dust/dirt out of your case. Because of dust/dirt build up in the case, the fans get clogged and therefore cannot move as much air as a clean fan. You can however take preventive measures to prevent this like getting some dust filters that fit on your cooling fans depending on their size (80/92/120mm fans?) or you could by a newer case that has dust filters pre-installed and clean them once every so often.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seriously. Dont vacume your computer damnit ^^

If you dont have access to a compressor then use your lungs. But be sure to take out all the components of the computer. Allso make sure not to spit ^^

But a compressor is the best since it blows the dust away and out of the troublesome places. While a vacum cleaner would preety much do nothing for cleaning up the computer ^^

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well, simply my computer heats up lately, I want to take care of it.

I thought about it, maybe I can not buy some cooling device like a fan or water cooling and use something in the house, like a normal fan and activate it near the PC.

Anyone got any creative cooling solutions that can be made from household equipment?
What do you mean your computer heats up, do you mean the CPU or the temp in the case?

If it's the CPU, take off the heatsink (if your able) it's most likey full of dust.

clean the thermal paste off of the heatsink and cpu with isopropyl/rubbing alcohol and a lint free rag or a coffee filter, reapply some new paste and stick the heatsink back on.

Get an old toothbrush, if you have one, or something similar, loosen up all the dust and vacuum it out of the heatsink. *NOTE* you will have to take the fan off of the heat sink first.

If your not comfortable taking off the heatsink you can just take the fan off of it and clean it that way, still using the toothbrush and vacuum.

You can vacuum your computer if your careful of a few things, namely static.

If you have a crevice tool with your vacuum, it works pretty good

when your vacuuming inside a computer make sure you don't actually touch any of the parts inside just hover above them to suck up any loose dust.

If you have two vacuums and one is able to reverse i.e. blow that works great, you can have one blowing and one sucking........ya. Just be careful, the pressure from a blowing vaccum can be fairly high and can damage parts in your computer. And as suggested in some of the replies, you can also use a air compressor or a can of compressed air. A suck, blow combo works very well.

If your just gonna blow out all the dust, take outside because otherwise dust will be everywhere.

Also check any fans for dust, the good ol' toothbrush comes in handy for cleaning dust off the fan blades as well.

Btw, what do you have for cooling?

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
I got 1 for CPU cooling, 1 for outtake, 1 for intake.

I don't think I wanna mess with the heatsink, I cleaned it as I could.

Cleaned the mobo, the outtake fan the CPU fan(much as I could) and the case generally.

Some of the dust got attached to the mobo, not much, but enough to want to clean it up. I heard you can't touch your hardware because of static electricity which can kill it? I don't know, any help on how I can clean the mobo up?

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I heard you can't touch your hardware because of static electricity which can kill it?
You can touch your hardware, just make sure you ground yourself first. To ground yourself you can just touch an unpainted part of the case.

Since you seem uncomfortable touching the hardware too much (which is understandable :)) If were you I would get something to just blow the dust off.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i want a big one not some little can of it xD i mean a 1 ton cannister xD

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Will it help if my computer's case, 1 side of it will be open and not blocked? Like removing 1 wall of the case? Better airflow, no?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Depends. Some cases are made so that the best airflow is generated only if the case is closed.

Then again a bigger opening = more room for dust to get in.

But yes it should improve a bit on the short run since the heat can flow easier. But as said some computer cases require to be closed for maximum cooling power.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have airflow in your case (ie working intake/exhaust fans that do something other than be noisy and the flow is not blocked by messy cables) it's mostly better to have the case closed IMO.

Did you have recent problems with heat, or did you just check temps and were like "omg thos are hot!"?

What sometimes helps with old pcs is reseating the cpu cooler. You need some thermal paste, rubbing/isopropyl alcohol for cleaning and knowledge of how to reseat your cooler.
Depending on how old your cooloer is, you might also want to get a new fan for it. those are like 6-15$

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting tips.

I decided to post here rather than make a new topic on the matter.

I've been concerned about my own components, namely the CPU due to some of the alarming temperatures that Speedfan gives me on certain games.

Usually I'll have no problem with most games. Keeping the main intake fan at 100% and the CPU fan at 70% does well for max settings on games like Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and even Crysis. Some games pose problems however. Left 4 Dead isn't so bad these days; I think a recent update did wonders for performance. A GPU driver update couldn't have hurt either (since NVidia cards had updates which specifically improved performance with L4D)

However, I'm troubled by "City of Heroes", a game which by all means shouldn't be giving me problems. It is, after all, an MMORPG, and one with fairly dated graphics no less. And yet my computer has a tendency to heat up palpably when running it. I've recorded temps in the 60's, sometimes at and above 64C (supposedly my CPU's maximum operating temperature [ Athlon 64 x2 3800] ). Even my GPU reported temps nearing 80C (I'm not as concerned, seeing how my GPU can operate safely as high as 100C ). This simply shouldn't be happening, not in an MMO, especially since I can play a higher graphics MMO like EVE without such temperatures.

Currently my CPU is calmly chilling at 35C with nothing but this browser running. I'm going to have a try at deep cleaning this computer as much as I'm comfortable doing, but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear some.

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
@J-Dude, you had an HP something or another computer right? I would get a better case, HP cases don't usually have the greatest ventilation, something that has a intake fan in the front perhaps. I would suggest this, it's not very expensive, has lots of room, and has pretty good cooling.

P.S. what happend with that motherboard thing? If your gonna change it out, I would most likely get a new case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom