Pan's Labyrinth/El Labirinto del Fauno

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pan's Labyrinth

http://www.panslabyrinth.com/

Ok, this movie is made of awesome, win, and a lot more awesome. Dunno how many of you will have a theater showing it since it's a foreign film out of spain (Spanish Language - more specifically, castilliano...evil dialect.... - subbed in english) but if it's showing, you damn well better go see it. It's set at the end of the Spanish civil war during the rise of Fascism in Spain. I'd give a synopsis, but I couldn't do it justice. Visit the site and read it there and view the trailer.

Ok, so, shameless pimping aside, anyone else seen it?

-Karrde-

Best answers
Actually it's "castellano" lol ^^

Hmmm might as well watch it :p looks good...

LOL a spanish guy (the same director) directed hellboy and blade II... go figure! :p

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like I said, I hate the dialect for being evil on so many levels ;P And yeah, my friend and I were talking about how he's done a rather odd range of films. But this movie is Godlike. Easily the best film I've seen in about 1.5 years. It's gonna effortlessly take "best foreign film" at the oscars, I'd say.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really want to see it but it's probably not going to be showing here where I live x_x

Gonna have to wait for a DVD or something =/

Best answers
"A fairy tale for grown ups" eh? well thats what i think of berserk actually...

mmh should give it a try,if you say its that good...

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it was not that good of a moive it was an ok movie more for kids that belive in faries

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw it. It was good, but was 80% reality and only 20% fantasy.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it was not that good of a moive it was an ok movie more for kids that belive in faries
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's really the kind of movie you want to show to children what with torture, interogation, killing, etc

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Has anybody had the chance to see this yet? Karrde's most recent avatar is from the movie though given the text he could just have it out of memetic's sake.

In any case, it's one of the best movies I've seen in a looong time. Basically, it's about a girl and her pregnant mother who come to live on a small army base with the girl's stepfather. The movie deals with how the girl copes with the harsh reality of the world by escaping into fantasy.

It plays as both a fantasy and war movie, and does well with both. The fact that it's a fairy tale made little impact on the atrocities of war. Hell, even the fantasy imagery itself wasn't the beautiful cotton candy type stuff, it definately was grotesque in it's own way.

Anybody care to comment on it? Please mark spoilers with white text if you plan on saying any.

Best answers
wasnt there already a thread about this movie ? o_O
well now that iv seen the movie...... its boring... the real world parts were boring just as expected....there were by far not enough parts playing in the fairy world to keep me really entertaint.
the only interesting thing in the movie was the "pale man" even if he/it wasnt that scary and was shown too short...

if you want to see an awesome movie go and watch "the butterfly effect".

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh sure everyone likes you thread about the movie and not mine ;P Yeah the film was fricking awesome in basically every way. It's a shoe in, at this point, for best foreign film, I think.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thread's merged then. I did not notice you created a thread for it :O It was on the second page and we all know how much that page matters >: O

Best answers
well ive seen it today it was like....special however it pointed me abit down when i saw the trailer and u see all the fairy-tale parts in the trailer and it makes u really think its all in a wonderworld bit it aint and the only fairy things u see, well almost u can see in the trailer. wich was kinda dissapointing but that was just personal.

overal it was an very nice movie imo even though it was abit mixed with hard scenes and soft child ones

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I haven't SEEN the movie, but I've walked through the theater and seen most of it (I work at the theater). It looks good enough to be interesting, but there's something in it's style that puts me off. It might just be the odd, "dirty" manner the mystical things are portrayed in. I never liked the faun. Too creepy. The head and eyes of the thing look more alien than mystical. The faun's voice also annoyed me, but maybe that's just because it's an authentic Spanish voice, and when Spanish voices are chosen for creepy characters, generally they have that deep hispanic rhasp in their tone.

One thing I was intrigued by about it was the thing from her 2nd task, the pale semi-humanoid eating machine with the eyeballs in its' palms. That had to be one of the strangest and most original movie-monsters I've ever seen. Honestly though, I don't know what she was afraid of. If it's only weapons were it's slow swinging claws and it's teeth, then she'd own that thing with the dagger she retrieved. Hell, if it were me I could have flying side-kicked that thing off it's wobbly misshapen legs and been done with it. You see, that was the problem back then: not enough violence :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom