Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maybe

• no

• Total voters
Best answers
I have question:

How do I paint the surfaces on brushes? I think you know what I mean. (Like this instead of this.)

So therefore I really hope there is someone there can help me.

Best answers
Oops, didn't see that. But isn't Hammer the same thing?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Valve Hammer for Half-Life 2 has a lot of different features compared to the Valve Hammer for Half-Life. Displacement surfaces are only in the Half-Life 2 Valve Hammer.

Best answers
Okay thanks.

But to make something look like that, do I then have do make it one big texture? Or is there a better way of doing it?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a Half-Life 1 (GoldSrc) Hammer, and there's a Half-Life 2 (Source) Hammer.

I tell you this for your own good, not to be snide: learn triangle brushing by hand. It gives you absolute control over your map, and a new understanding and respect for the technique.

Just looking at the wireframe layout of that example screams "wasted faces!" If you decide to map for HL2, even Source has its limits. Mapping with a tool like "surface painting" may be a shortcut, but it's a crutch.

Addressing your question on the textures, though, based on the wireframe geometry, it looks like they're using three independent textures, with the dirt path designed to blend into the grass. It could all be one texture map, being that it's hard to tell from the given perspective, but the geometry would suggest to me otherwise.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be honest, I don't know. I think there was a map that used something like what you're trying to make but I'm unsure.

Edit

DragonDude beat me.

DragonDude said:
Just looking at the wireframe layout of that example screams "wasted faces!" If you decide to map for HL2, even Source has its limits. Mapping with a tool like "surface painting" may be a shortcut, but it's a crutch.
It doesn't waste faces:

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/aw4efaw.JPG

Displacement surfaces was added to allow the mapper to make detailed maps without taking a hit to the face count.

Painting geometry saves faces:

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/save.JPG

Best answers
DragonDude said:
There's a Half-Life 1 (GoldSrc) Hammer, and there's a Half-Life 2 (Source) Hammer.

I tell you this for your own good, not to be snide: learn triangle brushing by hand. It gives you absolute control over your map, and a new understanding and respect for the technique.

Addressing your question on the textures, though, based on the wireframe geometry, it looks like they're using three independent textures, with the dirt path designed to blend into the grass. It could all be one texture map, being that it's hard to tell from the given perspective, but the geometry would suggest to me otherwise.
I am not mapping for HL2. I just wanted to hear how I did make grass fade into dirt (And something like that).

I have seen a loads of maps where there for example was a little spot were there was dirt and around it were there grass (And it faded). And that was for ESF.

So how do I make a spot with dirt in some grass (Fading of cause) ?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can you give me a map name for ESF that uses it? I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out for you.

Best answers
MC said:
Can you give me a map name for ESF that uses it? I'll take a look and see if I can figure it out for you.
If you would do that I will really appreciate it. Btw the map is the cell games (The one there comes with esf).

And below there is a pic of those spots.

Best answers
those groundtextures are split into huge 512x512 textures, containing everything from grass to dirt. the effect of the textures "flowing" into each other is done in a gfx programm like ps or psp

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
To be honest, I don't know. I think there was a map that used something like what you're trying to make but I'm unsure.

Edit

DragonDude beat me.

It doesn't waste faces:

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/aw4efaw.JPG

Displacement surfaces was added to allow the mapper to make detailed maps without taking a hit to the face count.

Painting geometry saves faces:

http://www.freewebs.com/danotoriousmc/save.JPG
Allow me to correct that. A true mapper puts his detail in the textures, not in the brushes/faces. As DD said, that screenshot really is screaming "Wasted Faces!" Just learn how to triangle map, I swear to God, it's 10 times better then a terrain generator or the terrain painter from HL2.

Theoboy said:
If you would do that I will really appreciate it. Btw the map is the cell games (The one there comes with esf).

And below there is a pic of those spots.
As for the textures, read my tutorial. It's on esf world and somewhere in the stickies here. It should explain everything you need to do to make maps like that.

Best answers
Okay thanks for the replies.

I think I will try and follow Cold Steels tutorial but I don't have psp yet, so I have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom