Overlord

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, seeing as noone posted about this game yet,

Overlord, a new game is out, created by Codemasters.

Its a game where you are the Overlord, a Sauron look-a-like, and you gotta controll these minions to do your bidding, to complete your missions.

There's a Demo out for the XBox 360 and the PC, well since I have only a PC its obvious to download the last, and damn.... I need a hardware upgrade!

Anyone else ever heard of this game? or played it even? I thought it was pretty good from what I saw, unique, kinda like a mix of Dungeon Keeper and Fable.

http://www.codemasters.nl/overlord/index.php

Best answers
those dog thingies dont look so intimidating. Look like a bad crossbreed of Gollum and a mongrel...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Been playing it for about a week now. Fun game. Those minions are funny as hell.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
those dog thingies dont look so intimidating. Look like a bad crossbreed of Gollum and a mongrel...
I think that's the whole idea, they aren't suposed to look really intimidating, but more like a bunch of funny goons that do their bidding for you.

I mean, the way they behave... imagine this scenario.

You walk towards a pumpkin farm, if you send your minions to the field, they chop up all the pumpins, some of the minions use the pumpins as a helmet! and if the farmer is pissed... well you just kill him and the minnions might use his legs as a weapon.

And they are as enthusiastic like small children in a candy store.

btw, they don't look like dogs, but more like gremlins. (ever seen the movie?)

Best answers
oh. I was thinking along the lines of a more serious plot. cool though. I wish I had the hardware to support it.
And no, I havent seen gremlins...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried the demo on Xbox Live and I was impressed.

The game is very, very much like Pikmin - you kill stuff, gather resources, make more minions, then use those minions to kill more stuff and gather objects to take back to your base. Although I must say that the 'sweeping' mechanic works extremely well, much better than Pikmin where you had to physically move close to your enemy in order to have your Pikmin do stuff. You could control them with the C-Stick, but not as far as you can with sweeping in Overlord.

I loved the humor and style. I'll probably be picking this up when it hits the stores. o/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
meh after installing the demo it won't run, i get the error "this application has failed to start because d3dx9_29.dll was not found. re-installingthe application may fix this problem"

reinstalling didn't help. anyone wanna send me the file?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like you need to upgrade your DirectX drivers. O:

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, update to the newest DirectX9.0c (June version IIRC), should fix the problem.

I liked the game, sweeping is a bit hard on the PC without some sort of a cursor, but I like the controls. Most [Xbox360] people are *****ing about how the controls suck on the PC, but they are fine.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like there week attempt to make up for canceling dungeon keeper

but I'll download the demo.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds like there week attempt to make up for canceling dungeon keeper

but I'll download the demo.
Err... no its not.

It would be if Lionhead Studios or Mucky Foot productions would have made it, coz they used to be bullfrog, who created Dungeon Keeper.

Codemasters has absolutely nothing to do with Dungeon Keeper, even though its obvious that they got their inspiration from DK.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this game is so filthy o/

GOOO MY MINIONS!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the full version, there's fire minions too. They're resistant to fire, and are able to start fires themselves.

Burnination ensues.

🍂 Regular
Best answers
I'm picking up this game as soon as it hits the shelves on Thursday or Friday along with The Darkness, and yes, I actually buy my games, I prefer to support the consoles, so it won't suffer the same fate as the PC, where developers are dropping PC games left and right and switch to consoles, because of piracy, not making it worth to develop PC games.

By the way this game is created by Dutch Game Developing Company Triumph Studios, Codemasters are merely the distributors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom