Out of curiosity

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well, im not complaining or anything, but other than the sentence "ESF started with HL1 and it will finish with HL1", why the team chose not to use the source engine? what was the reason? knowledge? flexebility? devs don't know how to use the source engine? what is the reason?

(Yes I know it stays on the gldsrc engine and there's no need to change it, it looks great, even though, out of curiosity)

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because it would require too much work to learn how to import and upgrade everything to the source engine.

yes, it could've been done by now, especially seeing as how esf is practically being redone, but it's too late for something like that to happen now.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i thaught it was something to do with source engine limitations

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, we seriously need a next-gen Dbz game with Destructible environments and what not. Something that "visually" portrays all the action a bit more accurately. Esf is gonna be Amazingly Awesome, i don't doubt that, but there's just this nagging feeling of "What if it was on a newer engine, that would've been so cool".

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Source has problems doing stuff that's no straight FPS. No I don't know the details, but trust us, it's just easier on HL1.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, we seriously need a next-gen Dbz game with Destructible environments and what not. Something that "visually" portrays all the action a bit more accurately. Esf is gonna be Amazingly Awesome, i don't doubt that, but there's just this nagging feeling of "What if it was on a newer engine, that would've been so cool".
What does this have to do with Deco's question? If you want a next-gen game with destructible environments and "what not", play the new DBZ games that came out for the consoles.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally, I think the fact that this is a HL1 mod and shows Graphics of this gives it a lot more of a superior outlook compared to a HL2 mod. This shows more then just the abilities of the team but the knowledge as well.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The reason is that we had been working on ESF for about 4 years or whatever on HL 1, we started work on 1.3 then hl2 / source came out. A lot of the coders didnt want to port the code over to the source engine. Then we got new coders 'raven/lod/greenberet' and heard that we had a lot of progress and didnt want to redo it all. So they hacked the hell out of hl1 and got sooo many things working. Later we discovered that there is no way that hl2 can do what we can currently do with our updated hl1 hack.
- fbx
- shaders
- external xml editor
- etc.. etc..
So, with the implementation of these additions into our hl1, we seriously hard-locked the decision to stay away from hl2 because of all the awesome features we newly acquired. So now at our current state, we just have to finish and polish up stuff.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True dat.
Please next time have a little more to say then just 2 words.

Just so everyone is aware we will be looking more into these reported posts that users decide they think its worth us looking into. If the reasons are not justified or if someone is goofing around by reporting things that do not need reported it you will earn yourself a warning and could tally up to a 2 week vacation. So next time think real hard before hitting that report post button because it could come back and bite you in the butt.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Just so everyone is aware we will be looking more into these reported posts that users decide they think its worth us looking into. If the reasons are not justified or if someone is goofing around by reporting things that do not need reported it you will earn yourself a warning and could tally up to a 2 week vacation. So next time think real hard before hitting that report post button because it could come back and bite you in the butt.

I was wondering what the Warning Count is.

1 Warning
2 Warning + 2 Week Ban
3 Warning + 1 Month Ban
4 = Perma?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, the great Phobius returns from his long slumber of absence, ready to tell the community that he abandoned how it should behave. I sense good times ahead.

Was his post so offensive that it needs to be singled out, that future such posts shall earn offenders a ban? I will agree that it added nothing of substance, but Jesus, threatening to ban people for that **** is retarded. Spidey (or honestly, anyone else who still posts here at this time) is a member of the community now just like you or I, and honestly, I consider this forum like a family. Call me corny, but seriously, even Mkilbride, who I find abhorrent with regards to how often he posts offtopic threads, is included in this and should be allowed to post what he pleases.

tl;dr: I'll be damned if this forum degenerates into Nazi Frown Town again. Lighten the **** up, please.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My heart is warmed by you kindness Sub, it really is, but i think he meant banning the nub Reporters.

What i can gather here is that someone reported me, Phobius found it was not worth his time, and then ranted on those foo's for wasting his.

Mercy.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh. Alright then. I remember back in the day I used to report every other post. I don't think anyone used to read them. Good times.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My heart is warmed by you kindness Sub, it really is, but i think he meant banning the nub Reporters.

What i can gather here is that someone reported me, Phobius found it was not worth his time, and then ranted on those foo's for wasting his.

Mercy.
That wouldn't be nice, I'm not a nub reporter. The post I reported was justified!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom