Best answers
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Guy said:
I bet it lands in Iran.

"Oh, hey. Yeah, we're just here to... um... recover... parts of the, um... crashed spy satellite, and, you know, I mean, while were here anyway, we thought we'd uh, bring you freedo---"

bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang

MUSHROOM CLOUD
I laughed.

Anyway, we've had satellites crash before. No biggie.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As long as no one gets hurt, its not skin off my back.

Best answers
What the hell do they mean by the material. Got a nuke in it or something lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it doesn't burn up, it could probably level a building. >_>

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its made of steel and falling at the acceleration of gravity.. yea im pretty sure that has the potential to be deadly if it hits somebody.
Like dropping a penny from atop a skyscraper, only a much bigger penny, and from the atmosphere, and it doesn't go where you want it to.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like dropping a penny from atop a skyscraper, only a much bigger penny, and from the atmosphere, and it doesn't go where you want it to.
Actually, Mythbusters disproved the "Penny off the ESB = Death" myth.

But yeah, orbital speed objects coming in for a crash landing have a lot of momentum. Most of it will likely burn up, but as for the rest of it, a penny-sized piece probably WOULD strike the dirt like an artillery shell.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pennies don't actually weigh enough to severely damage a person :p

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pennies don't actually weigh enough to severely damage a person :p
It's not about weight. It's about velocity. You could argue that a bullet doesn't weigh enough to severely damage a person, but...

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not about weight. It's about velocity. You could argue that a bullet doesn't weigh enough to severely damage a person, but...
You're right, it's not about the weight, it's about terminalvelocity and mass. That was me saying something without looking back through the research I've read on this. A penny's terminal velocity was calculated out to be anywhere between 23.6 mph to 73.3 mph depending how it falls. Hell, if a penny hits you at the same speed a bullet hits you, it still doesn't have the mass to do damage.

http://www.jimcarson.com/2004/01/monday-morning-armchair-physic/

Anywho, I digress, let's get back on topic ;)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its made of steel and falling at the acceleration of gravity.. yea im pretty sure that has the potential to be deadly if it hits somebody.
Skylab, ten times it's size, also an uncontrolled burnup, barely hit the ground in parts of Western Australia. The rest fell into the sea. Only 12% of the earth's surface is inhabited by mankind, the rest is open land. I doubt it will hurt anything.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Skylab, ten times it's size, also an uncontrolled burnup, barely hit the ground in parts of Western Australia. The rest fell into the sea. Only 12% of the earth's surface is inhabited by mankind, the rest is open land. I doubt it will hurt anything.
Yeah, the planet is FAR from overpopulated.

It's definately going to hit an open field or ocean.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well yeah the Earth is over 70% water. The chances of anyone being hurt is slim to none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom