Other side of things

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I'm sure we're all quite aware that there are calls for countries to boycott the Olympics because of the whole China-Tibet thing.

My question to you all is if you think there would be similar calls for a boycott if America hosted the Olympics, with the protests relating to the Iraq war.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I highly doubt it. I mean there might be some, but not to the extent that China is getting. I think China has a worse moral reputation than America has.

We also may have a sympathy bonus. If the people that dislike America because of the Iraq war, they may think "Jesus, why did they even go to war..." then thing "Oh, yeah, the terrorist attacks", so we don't seem as "evil" as China.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whatever our situation may be in Iraq, China didn't get rid of a dictator in Tibet. They got rid of the mother****ing Dali Lama, and then treated its indigenous population like second class citizens. The Dali Lama isn't even saying he wants Tibet to be completely separate from China. He just wants more autonomy, and if he could return home without being arrested, that'd be sweet too. China is saying, "Uh...no. You can't beat us, so we're going to keep doing what we've been doing. Don't like it? Leave. We'll replace you with our citizens." Then they make their soldiers dress as policemen so they can foment violence and blame it on the monks, which they follow up by unloading on everyone too brave to scatter.

If America were hosting the Olympics, people would be protesting, but I highly doubt it'd be as widespread as this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom