Orphan works bill

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's this world coming to? Next thing you know, they'll let gay's marry.
Know what buddy? I'm getting a bit sick of everything you say to me being soaked in sarcasm. For your info, pal, I voted no on 8, so blow your last zinger right out your ear. I am not your enemy, I am not your symbol of Republican America, I am not your ****ing scapegoat on these forums, so if I'm not aiming punches at YOU, don't try sucker-punching ME.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Know what buddy? I'm getting a bit sick of everything you say to me being soaked in sarcasm. For your info, pal, I voted no on 8, so blow your last zinger right out your ear. I am not your enemy, I am not your symbol of Republican America, I am not your ****ing scapegoat on these forums, so if I'm not aiming punches at YOU, don't try sucker-punching ME.
I didn't say anything to you, I didn't quote you, or use your name in my post, I didn't hint that I was talking to you. I merely voiced my opinion on the topic at hand. Do you have a problem with my opinion?

Last edited:
The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Because gay marriage is totally on topic with corporate theft of ideas and art. The post was, at best, an off topic post. At worst, it was a trolling attempt. Even as an outsider it is getting annoying to see every thread that J-Dude posts in become an argument against what everyone knows he doesn't agree with already.

In short, cut it out.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So, in short, I didn't do anything to him, or say anything to him. And, in short, said something completely relevant to the topic. And, in short, I was stating that the U.S was doing something atrocious and, in short, made a comment on the next thing the U.S might do that is also atrocious.

So, in short, my topic was completely relevant, and J-Dude is just paranoid.

in short.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You were still off topic. In Short.

Now that we have that nonsense out of the way, lets tone down the hostility, that includes J-Dude. Relax, there's no need to lash out at people, report it to a moderator. This way you might have time to notice things aren't really aimed at you when a second person looks at the posts objectively.

As for the bill, as an ametuer writer and someone who hopes to have work published someday, this bill literally frightens me. I seriously hope that its struck down as something that can damage the economy further. Its the last thing fledgling writers need in a market that is already difficult to break out in.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, so what's changed now? Like, typically you can take anything that's not copyrighted, right?

So if I create a drawing or something right now, before this orphan works bill passes, can't some bigger company take it and copyright it and I have no power over it whatsoever?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So if I create a drawing or something right now, before this orphan works bill passes, can't some bigger company take it and copyright it and I have no power over it whatsoever?
To my understanding, that's what it means, pretty much.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To my understanding, that's what it means, pretty much.
I'm not talking about when the orphan works bill passes, i'm talking about right now. Is this how it is right now? What's stopping, for example, right now from Blizzard taking Davidskiwan's paladin design and using it for tier 7 without paying him?

As long as they take it and copyright it there isn't much he can do since he himself didn't copyright it.

Or am I completely off?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
essentially, anything that's not already copyrighted, needs to become copyrighted. and only certain firms will be allowed to "sell" the copyrights.

what the bill says, is that if you find something and want to use it as your own, you must do your best to find the original creator and gain their approval, which a big firm won't give. and say you couldn't find that information, and it belonged to a big firm, and they found out you were using their ****, you could look forward to a nice fat lawsuit.

that's if the bill passes.

at the moment, they cannot use anyone elses work without their express permission, whether they've tried to find them or not.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Passing over QE1's blatant trolling attempt in his personal vendetta against me, I think it's probably a given that in the event that this DOES pass, anyone with original concepts or artwork on youtube, DA or otherwise needs to remove them from public view post-haste.

I just wonder what it would look like if this actually hapenned; would we suddenly see corporations using Internet memes or ripping off well known, uncopyrighted artists?

Which corporations would deem it unethical, and how many people in advertising or in company art studios will resign because of these actions? Just ho bad would it get, and how long could it last before it's ultimately repealed?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As for the bill, as an ametuer writer and someone who hopes to have work published someday, this bill literally frightens me. I seriously hope that its struck down as something that can damage the economy further. Its the last thing fledgling writers need in a market that is already difficult to break out in.
Sorry Cuc, I had to do it. I had to. Grammar! ;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that would be spelling, not grammar.

noob.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never said I write well :p

Seriously though, I don't proof read my posts or IRC conversations.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Maybe you should. GOD!

Before you go off and say I'm trolling someone because I used the word God. That was a Napoleon Dynamite reference.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had no intention of doing so.

(This post has been proof read, and submitted for your approval . . . jeez. :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom