Optimus Keyboard

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

This seems like a very nice keyboard. It's not out yet, but prototypes will start sometime in Fall, so I read. But I think the problems with it might be some o.l.e.d's might give out eventually. So that my be a problem. But I think the keyboard is a very nice idea and it looks very sleak.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, my brother showed me this about a month ago. Really nice, I'm going to go get it :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
thats sweet

do you guys remember that old laser keynoard. where it was projected on to your desk or something, there was no keyboard, just the light.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That would be incredibly handy for me. I work a fair bit using Ukrainian Cyrillic, and I often forget which keys are assigned to some of the last few letters in that alphabet (since it's larger than the English alphabet and, as such, must use the colon, apostrophe, brackets, etc. keys).

I wouldn't mind picking that up, myself.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice , i know i Would buy one. Would come in handy (even though you can already assign special function keys on today's kayboards , still looks pretty dam nice)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like everyone else, that WOULD be handy. It completely makes keyboard use easier. Gone are the days where you look up shortcuts. Now all you need to do is look at the keyboard and 'wham' its there. Also, theres a gaming 'option' ^^.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
when are they releasing these? =O i want one ;_;

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yey I found this:

It’s in the initial stage of production.

We hope it will be released in 2006.

It will cost less than a good mobile phone.

It will be real.

It will be OS-independent (at least it’s going to be able to work in some default state with any OS).

It will support any language or layout.

Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence.

It will be an open-source keyboard, SDK will be available.

Some day it will be split (and made “ergonomic”).

It will most likely use the OLED technology (e-paper is sooo slow).

Our studio is located two blocks from the Kremlin.

It will feature a key-saver.

Keys could be animated when needed.

It has a numeric keypad because we love it.

There’s no snow in Moscow in summer.

It will be available worldwide (why not?)

OEM is possible (why not?)

Note that this is copied directly fron the site, so ignore things like There’s no snow in Moscow in summer.

Best answers
Hmm, could be me, but I play games without watching my keyboard -_-

It's definatly fancy but apart from looking cool, it doesn't do much more than that. You can remember a letter or number as easy as a picture.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bapplebo said:
It will be real.
Always helpful :p

Well to me this looks incrediably badass, but one thing i'm confused about is how the keyboard knows what to display, does it have images of the keys preset into the keyboards memory or will you have to add the key images yourself, or will the games come with support for it? I know it comes with an SDK but surely there has to be some support from the software developers of the programs you use too.

Also, won't the power drain be huge on account of having a hundred little LCD monitors?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
now THATS a keyboard worth investing for.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's only 3D Rendered if you read, but they're making it right now. I just hope it doesn't burn your hand when you press the lighted buttons. :O

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want it badly. That would be so awesome, though it wouldn't help me typing japanese :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom