Opteron vs X2

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. Yes, he is. No way in hell could that Opteron match one of AMD's top chips, overclocked or not.

It is cheaper though...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He says that AMD uses the beast chips for the Opteron then the Fx series then the X2 then the plan 64 bit. He also said that he spent many many hours reading up on computers and such. I figured it was bs though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's just an educated guess. I looked up the latest CPU charts on Tom's and you will not see the word Opteron anywhere, OC'ed chips included.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Yes. Yes, he is. No way in hell could that Opteron match one of AMD's top chips, overclocked or not.

It is cheaper though...
Incorrect my friend, incorrect!. Also Opterons are made by AMD.

Opteron's overclock really well. By default they are clocked slower, however trhe factor behind there desaign is to use less power on the core and AMD thurly check and test the Silicon on opteron chips (These are of course the socket 939 opteron chips we are talking about here witch are usually targeted for the workstation market segement & server market segements however you do see people buy them with the intention to overclock them). You can yeild pretty good clock speeds with overclocking Opteron chips ;). I'd suggest looknig around on some tech forums if your'e still not sure.

Also remember that different chip steppings get different results with overclocks. The good thing is If you go With the Opteron you'll also be saving yourself $233 too ;).

Best answers
Well, it really depends on what you are doing, or using the processor for. The Opteron is better for workstations (opinion), and the X2 is better for gaming (also opinion).

Pretty much what Overlord said.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
Well, it really depends on what you are doing, or using the processor for. The Opteron is better for workstations (opinion), and the X2 is better for gaming (also opinion).

Pretty much what Overlord said.
They will both do equally well at the same clock speeds considering they're both dual core and, more or less, the same core design period.
Also remember that different chip steppings get different results with overclocks.
All CPUs get different results with overclocking.
The good thing is If you go With the Opteron you'll also be saving yourself $233 too .
Agreed.
I have a friend who says that a AMD Opteron 170 is better then a AMD X2 4800+ because you can overclock the crap out of the cpu and its also cheaper. I think thats bull****.
The thing I find funny about these arguements is that they never consider the fact that you can also overclock the 'opponent' CPU.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
The thing I find funny about these arguements is that they never consider the fact that you can also overclock the 'opponent' CPU.
I Haven't really seen X2 4800+ chips oc much past there default clock speeds, some people end up buyying Opterons or just buyying a X2 4400+ and oc that to 4800+ speeds.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
I Haven't really seen X2 4800+ chips oc much past there default clock speeds, some people end up buyying Opterons or just buyying a X2 4400+ and oc that to 4800+ speeds.
That's a shame; I do. Though, I would never buy a 4800+ as they're very expensive.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
That's a shame; I do. Though, I would never buy a 4800+ as they're very expensive.
Mustr be the steppnigs we get over here in australia :(. It will also would differ depending on coolnig and what not. Atm I see people pull out ~2.6ghz - 2.8ghz, sometimes a little more with a dc opteron. Of course results are gonig to differ depending on what mainboard they are using and what sought of cooler/cooling they may be using.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also Opterons are made by AMD.
I don't think I said they weren't...

You should inform Tom's Hardware that Opterons perform that well so that they can include them in their next installment of CPU tests so we can have a conclusive answer. I'm certain that, if it can perform as you say, they'll want to know about it. And if they do, why aren't they posting them?

And yes, The 4800+ can be OC'ed as well, like most any CPU.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
General Overlord said:
Mustr be the steppnigs we get over here in australia :(.
Guess so.
It will also would differ depending on coolnig and what not. Atm I see people pull out ~2.6ghz - 2.8ghz, sometimes a little more with a dc opteron. Of course results are gonig to differ depending on what mainboard they are using and what sought of cooler/cooling they may be using.
I'm aware.
You should inform Tom's Hardware that Opterons perform that well so that they can include them in their next installment of CPU tests so we can have a conclusive answer.
Tom's Hardware knows about Opterons, but it'd be a little redundant to have identical scores for every clock range. You can send an email, though, if you'd like =).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
I don't think I said they weren't...

You should inform Tom's Hardware that Opterons perform that well so that they can include them in their next installment of CPU tests so we can have a conclusive answer. I'm certain that, if it can perform as you say, they'll want to know about it. And if they do, why aren't they posting them?

And yes, The 4800+ can be OC'ed as well, like most any CPU.
I read a lot of different tech hardware sites & I'm a member of 3 different tech forums that I reguarly post in. You couldn't go just by what one particular website goes buy. If I was in the market for something new i'd be doing research on it, look at results and opinions from people who own the same or simlar products too. A lot of different sites do a lot of different benchmarks and benchmark runs with chips that are overclocked and will get different results (example: one tech review site colud have an Opteron that reaches 2.7ghz while another is capable of clocking to 2.9ghz depending on there chip stepping, what cooling they used and what mainboard they were using at the time, those are a few factors with processors and overclocks). The Opterons though In a lot of people's opinion's are better, and the performance compared to the X2 a64 chips are ethier a tad slower, better or on par.

Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I have a 4200+ OCed from 2.2 to 2.7ghz rock stable. However, Opterons ARE better in a sense that if you get a good stepping, they can hit 3.0ghz and run cooler as well as they are cheaper. This however is all a under a what-if scenario.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The price saving is a nice one here as Opterons can be Overclocked well, you can oc it to 4800+ speeds and sometimes more depending on your stepping. In the end the price difference here if your willing to do some overclocking is nice as you will save yourself some money for something else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright Overlord, I'm beginning to believe...

Tom's OC's a cheap CPU beyond the top of the line

I think your Opterons have been owned.

Sweet Mother of Christ, add on the cost of a water cooling system and you're still way in the green compared to an equivalent CPU (not OC'ed of course). With a nice paycheck coming next week, it may just be high time to get that new computer I've been after...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom