Operation Iraqi Freedom Officially Ending

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here's an excerpt:

As their convoy reached the barbed wire at the border crossing out of Iraq on Wednesday, the soldiers whooped and cheered. Then they scrambled out of their stifling hot armored vehicles, unfurled an American flag and posed for group photos.

For these troops of the 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, it was a moment of relief fraught with symbolism. Seven years and five months after the U.S.-led invasion, the last American combat brigade was leaving Iraq, well ahead of President Barack Obama's Aug. 31 deadline for ending U.S. combat operations there.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_americans_head_home

Discuss.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only thing I can really say is it will be nice to see a few of my friends and cousins again.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Contractors are still in the nation, and they're very much combat capable. The Iraqi security forces won't be able to prevent all of the attacks you never hear about, so we'll probably go back in one form or another as part of the deal was we'd offer any assistance they required, including a security element.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Operation Iraqi Freedom is never going to end... has Operation United States Freedom ended?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A step in the right direction.

Still.

I wish Iron Man was here...

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
50,000 troops are still in the region. They have guns. Not calling them combat troops doesn't change the fact that we still have a "peacekeeping" force. Mission name was changed, surge was drawn down despite protests of many Iraqis, and we're probably going to send a good chunk of those troops brought home to Afganistan. We are a long way from being done in the region.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
surge was drawn down despite protests of many Iraqis
I don't get this. People want us to get the hell out. People want us to stay. I wonder just how taxing the psychology of feeling appreciated is on soldiers in Iraq.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Think of it this way. Half of us want them to stay, half of us want us to leave . . . .

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't get this. People want us to get the hell out. People want us to stay. I wonder just how taxing the psychology of feeling appreciated is on soldiers in Iraq.
The civilian populace wants us to leave, their government wants us to stay because their security forces are incapable of doing...anything, really, at this time without our support. Which is why a percentage of the 50,000 left are devoted to training them. The others are logistical in nature.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The civilian populace wants us to leave, their government wants us to stay
That is an awefully large generalization. Regardless of the jobs, the 50,000 are still enlisted men and women not home. I personally feel that this is a responsible pull out, but calling it the end is not quite genuine. In fact, I'd say it was to pacify our own people just in time for elelctions.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That is an awefully large generalization. Regardless of the jobs, the 50,000 are still enlisted men and women not home. I personally feel that this is a responsible pull out, but calling it the end is not quite genuine. In fact, I'd say it was to pacify our own people just in time for elelctions.
It's a generalization based on the opinions of the people in said country. Provided the majority of the civilian populace wants us out, and their government and military officials want us to continue babysitting, it isn't incorrect to say what was said. Those 50,000 signed up for the job. They should consider themselves lucky that they're not in Afghanistan.

Semantics aside, this was the end of a particular operation, that being Operation Iraq Freedom. Unlike a movie, the credits do not roll and the story does not end after such a declaration. Objectives change, phases change, and operation names change. That said, Operation Iraqi Freedom ended on schedule, as prescribed by the President quite some time ago. I don't think of it as a ploy to get votes as Iraq really isn't all that important in the scheme of things at the moment.

Last edited:
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a generalization based on the opinions of the people in said country. Provided the majority of the civilian populace wants us out, and their government and military officials want us to continue babysitting, it isn't incorrect to say what was said. Those 50,000 signed up for the job. They should consider themselves lucky that they're not in Afghanistan.

Semantics aside, this was the end of a particular operation, that being Operation Iraq Freedom. Unlike a movie, the credits do not roll and the story does not end after such a declaration. Objectives change, phases change, and operation names change. That said, Operation Iraqi Freedom ended on schedule, as prescribed by the President quite some time ago. I don't think of it as a ploy to get votes as Iraq really isn't all that important in the scheme of things at the moment.
Most. Majority. These word would have put me in complete agreement with your statments. The way you said it earlier is incorrect, because it implies that all civilians want us out, and all in the government want us to stay.

Semantics asided indeed, I never had problems with people being deployed, I was behind both wars. What I am against, is using the wars for political gain. I believe they are pulling a stunt, you believe they are not. Since we have no way of confirming or denying what we think is going on, arguing on it is pointless. Every major poll shows massive losses for the democrats in both the House and Senate. Even Obama's poll numbers are tracking amazingly poor. Bad poll numbers get their attention in the Beltway because it means that someone is about to get their gravy train, and they can join the unemployed masses. I only say that we have this as a show of election help due to the timing and left wing pundits talking about the base being unhappy with Iraq. This was read from the LA Times, NY Times, and Politico. I can dig up the links with some time, if you like.

I'm sorry that you thought I would see a credit roll at the end of the war as Chuck Norris lead delta force back to America for some brewskies, but you are horribly inccorect in your assumption. I have always been for finishing the job, in fact, I mentioned that I felt the pullout was responisble. Again, I'm against labeling it something its not. Regardless, it is good to see our troops coming home, even you. Have I had a chance to thank you for service to our country? If not, thank you, no matter what you did. You have skin in the game, and that I can respect.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna let you talk to me like a child though. Don't kid yourself, I know enough to know that things dont deadstop unless you are calling for a 100% retreat ala Saigon, and I'm kinda dissapointed that you think that little of me.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Most. Majority. These word would have put me in complete agreement with your statments. The way you said it earlier is incorrect, because it implies that all civilians want us out, and all in the government want us to stay.

If you're determined to believe what I said meant every person in every group had one point of view, that's on you. When someone says, "America voted for _____", I don't require someone to point out some people were against _____ and some people were for it. It's a given, as is the conclusion that the majority is clearly for _____ based on either polling or the passing of ______.

Semantics asided indeed, I never had problems with people being deployed, I was behind both wars. What I am against, is using the wars for political gain. I believe they are pulling a stunt, you believe they are not. Since we have no way of confirming or denying what we think is going on, arguing on it is pointless. Every major poll shows massive losses for the democrats in both the House and Senate. Even Obama's poll numbers are tracking amazingly poor. Bad poll numbers get their attention in the Beltway because it means that someone is about to get their gravy train, and they can join the unemployed masses. I only say that we have this as a show of election help due to the timing and left wing pundits talking about the base being unhappy with Iraq. This was read from the LA Times, NY Times, and Politico. I can dig up the links with some time, if you like.

I have problems with being deployed for political reasons, and I was and remain against both wars for that reason, among others. The date to pullout combat troops was set long ago, and for that reason, I don't believe this to be a political stunt. If anything, it's a reallocation of forces to an area that desperately needs it. That place, of course, would be Afghanistan. As for the Iraqi stance on US forces, if polls are to be believed, the civilian population has been for us getting out since pretty much the beginning. Just to avoid confusion, when I say civilian population, I'm not talking about Americans. I'm talking about Iraqis. Their opinion matters a little more than ours when it comes to their country.

"Finishing the job" in Iraq would mean establishing a security force capable of protecting its civilians from external and internal threats. That's the current goal. We can't do that without having a force capable of training the Iraqis in country. And even then, I highly doubt their security force will be capable of subduing anyone without US assets. With a change in objectives comes a change in operation names. Iraqi Freedom is over. Our plans for Iraq, however, have not been fully realized, and so we'll maintain a presence. Is it as disingenuous to say "Operation Iraqi Freedom is over" as it is to say "Mission Accomplished?" Not at all. One states objective complete, the other states we've completely won. It can be construed as wordplay, sure, but it really isn't this time.

As for the 50,000 troops staying behind, they're living the life. They work a few hours, chill for most of the day, work out, play Call of Duty and repeat. That's what PoGs do. There's nothing wrong with that. It's their job. But let's not pretend they're in harms way and they need to come back right this minute because ****s going down. It's not. They're safe, and getting paid ridiculous amounts of cash to stand by.

I'm sorry that you thought I would see a credit roll at the end of the war as Chuck Norris lead delta force back to America for some brewskies, but you are horribly inccorect in your assumption. I have always been for finishing the job, in fact, I mentioned that I felt the pullout was responisble. Again, I'm against labeling it something its not. Regardless, it is good to see our troops coming home, even you. Have I had a chance to thank you for service to our country? If not, thank you, no matter what you did. You have skin in the game, and that I can respect.

I'm not coming home. My job is to go where the fight is, and the fight hasn't been in Iraq for quite some time now.

That doesn't mean I'm gonna let you talk to me like a child though. Don't kid yourself, I know enough to know that things dont deadstop unless you are calling for a 100% retreat ala Saigon, and I'm kinda dissapointed that you think that little of me.

I'm not sure how I was talking to you like a kid, but alright. Good to go
Words.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since you aren't back, I'm going to wish you unconditional luck and well being. Be safe out there. And thanks again.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As soon as Iraq "freedom" ends, Israel will make war with Iran with the support of US, and the US will try to enter Venezuela, mark my words. 3th world war wont take to long to start, believe it or not is the truth...

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As soon as Iraq "freedom" ends, Israel will make war with Iran with the support of US, and the US will try to enter Venezuela, mark my words. 3th world war wont take to long to start, believe it or not is the truth...
I guess it will boost the economy.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I guess it will boost the economy.
War only damages investor confidence, and hurts the economy. Sure manufacturers like General Dynamics, Rayethon and Winchester make tons of cash, but the US government is famous for spending beyond its means to pay for war, which also hurts investor confidence.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They can't play Medal of Honor anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom