Oookay...I'm not sure THAT was supposed to happen...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think this is anything major, but the new PSU I bought contains a LOT of cords, particularly unused ones that I had to tuck awayin out of the way spaces so they wouldn't touch certain components and hurt the machine.

One cord was a 4-prong cord that goes into the motherboard on the other side of the CPU from the drives. It had been a bit of a trick to keep it floating away from the back fan and the CPU fan. This morning I accidentally knocked the tower with my knee, and this cord nudged loose and started getting whacked by the back fan. I could tell from the out of place noise, and I'm glad for my CPU's blue LED that allowed me to see where the sound was coming from.

Not wanting to let this continue further, I hard booted the machine and opened it up, and twisted the cord into a form that was less likely to repeat this.

While doing so however, I had wanted to ensure the 4 prong cord was still mounted in properly, and applied a little pressure. This resulted, to my utter surprise, with the machine booting itself up! I had fully expected something terrible might have hapenned, but no, the machine has started normally, as though my nudge of the 4 prong was a simple press of the power button. But you'll understand if I found the silent machine suddenly coming to blue-lit, disk whirring, fan spinning life rather eye-opening.

I'm wondering why this hapenned at all. Granted, I ought to have turned the power supply off for this procedure, but it was such a simple thing, I'd though I might not even have needed to turn it off.

But the question remains, is the 4-prong part of the electrical signalling that tells computer to start up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom