Online Gamer Dies After 50-Hour Session

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this is...what? the 7th that died from games this year?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Logan said:
this is...what? the 7th that died from games this year?
And can you explain how exactly he 'died from games'? He died because he was a moron who thought he didn't need food or sleep.

It's just more 'video games are satan' hype bull****. They wouldn't have made such a big deal if he'd died from reading without sleep, or watching too much TV.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pretty sad, not like he knew playing a game for too long would kill him, but still, playing a game that long is just rediculus. I played the spiderman the movie game for 4 hours straight or so and I saved and turned off the tv and had a seizure...I think gamers need to be more careful, it may not seem like a big thing, but any deaths caused by videogames is a result of negligence. Health does need to be considered, instructions for safe gaming is available in any game booklet..... Looks like big game companies are going to have to take health into consideration when releasing there games, automatic shut offs could be a harsh step, but it looks like it needs to be taken.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
Ravendust said:
And can you explain how exactly he 'died from games'? He died because he was a moron who thought he didn't need food or sleep.
Quoted for truth.

The human body is a machine. If you run it without fuel or 'cooling off time' it's going to blow, no matter how much you 'pwn'.

Ignorance is the real killer here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh man, what a tool.

Best answers
NightTerror said:
Health does need to be considered, instructions for safe gaming is available in any game booklet.....
To be fair, instruction books don't usually inform the player of the need to eat or sleep :no:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To be fair, most human beings don't need instructions to eat or sleep...our body usually freaks out when it's time for those things.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Look on the bright side, this guy was old, if it had been a kid the video games industry would've been sued. Again.

Best answers
Ive read about this before. I dont see why anyone would want to play this long. The longest ive played is around 6 hours but thats was on my first day of WOW. Ive read on another site that the game he was playing was Starcraft. How anyone get addicted to an RTS is beyond me (I dont hate RTS's BTW. Ive got Starcraft and quite a few others.. just FYI).

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow..

That guy is nutz...

Or WAS nutz... damn, for 50 freaking hours?

And an RTS? well ya know in those countries they LOVE starcraft, Starcraft is like God there for them, at least for the gamers.

Best answers
Pride said:
To be fair, most human beings don't need instructions to eat or sleep...our body usually freaks out when it's time for those things.
Didn't detect the subtle hint of sarcasm in my post eh ;)

DMW

Best answers
Anyone who says he died because he simply didnt sleep enough and eat as much as he should have(for energy ...Duh)and not cuz of a damn game is right.He needs to learn self restraint.Games are fun but shouldnt own your life.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NightTerror said:
Looks like big game companies are going to have to take health into consideration when releasing there games, automatic shut offs could be a harsh step, but it looks like it needs to be taken.
I hope that doesn't happen. Although it's not likely, I could play a game for 50 hours without turning it off and i'd rather it didn't auto-shutdown. I guess this is why the rest system was implemented in WoW.

It seems a bit like natural selection to me o_O

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I could be playing games alot and be on the computer alot. But 50 hours? Not even I could play that long without going outside or eating. There's no way I'd give my life out for just a stupid game.

Best answers
no disrespect and all but that guy is a ****ing idiot..i mean..if your so stupid your playing without eating or resting for 50hours straight you almost deserve it,maybe this will teach children and other idiots that you do NEED to eat and sleep between fragging.

Even at lans where you where you play like 12-24 hours straight you have 15-20 min eating paus and drinking between deaths and pissing breaks.And that was at a internet cafe? if i would sit 50hours straight at an internet cafe in my town people would coming up asking if it isnt time to take a break or something.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Come to think of it, don't those things...shut?

Maybe that's when he took naps o_O

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Look on the bright side, this guy was old, if it had been a kid the video games industry would've been sued. Again.
The gaming "industry" cannot be 'sued.' You can only sue an individual corporation, and that's assuming you're an American citizen. In any case, there haven't been many suits regarding gaming companies at all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People and there games these days. Just don't know when to quit sometimes :\.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"To be fair, instruction books don't usually inform the player of the need to eat or sleep"

Quoted from my Soul Calibur 2 precautions booklet:

"Playing video games can make your muscles, joints or skni hurt after a few
hours. Follow these instructions to avoid problems such as Tendinitis, Carpal
Tunnel Syndrome or skin irritation:

- Take a 10 to 15 minuete break every hour, even if you don't think you
need it.

- If your hands, wrists or arms become tired or sore while playing, stop
and rest them for several hours before playing again.

- If you continue to have sore hands, wrists or arms during or after play,
stop playing and see a doctor."

But you are right in a way, some companies have not stepped up to the plate to insure safty while playing there video games. That precautions booklet that I just quoted from comes with EVERY gamecube game. Not sure about the other consoles though.

"To be fair, most human beings don't need instructions to eat or sleep...our body usually freaks out when it's time for those things."

Completly true....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom