One year of fighting, finally over...

Best answers
As some of you might remember me from the end of year 2007, i was about to go serve my time in finnish army. And to clear things up, in finland going to army isnt voluntary work, after turning 20 every boy in finland is called to army regardless if you want to or not. However there is possibility to affect the time you have spend in there.
Basically there are three servitude times: 180 days(6 months), 270 days(9 months) and 362 days(1 year)
And as you might have guessed i ended up picking the short end of the straw and had to spend the whole freaking year in there ;(. And the bonuses of staying a year were basically two promotions, few extra holidays and slightly bigger pocket money for last 6 months (9,7 euros/day!).

Anyways on the 2nd of january i finally got out of there. And on the 9th of january me and my twin sister took a one week vacation to Osaka, Japan. Of course we took the Shinkansen (bullet train) and went to other places like Kyoto and Tokyo. And 7 days and 100000yens later we flew back.

And finally on 20th of february i had to go to operation to fix my kneekap (i actually dislocated it about 4 times in the army) and now im spending 2 months worth of sickdays from work.

And thats about all the important that happended to me during these over 400 days of absence.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Welcome back.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember it was either your or another Finnish user that said you guys had required military service. Was it what you expected it to be?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good to see you back, had no idea you had to do national service.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well lets hope they dont bring it back to the uk xD

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Who's Finland fighting?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No one yet, but their getting ready to blitzkrieg Europe. Crazy Fins

Welcome back man.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Move to America. We have Freedom for you... and a ****ed up economy with money grubbing *******s.

Best answers
I remember it was either your or another Finnish user that said you guys had required military service. Was it what you expected it to be?
That was probably me who said it. It was about everything i expected: lots of shouting, discipline and physical work. I got to do some of the shouting for the last 6 months though.
Who's Finland fighting?
Nobody yet and i hope it stays that way. They just want to train us to be ready, if we somehow end up going to war. Finlands population is only 5-6 million so we dont get enough soldiers from volunteers.
Move to America. We have Freedom for you... and a ****ed up economy with money grubbing *******s.
No thanks, now thats it finally over i dont have to do it again. So no point in moving to US anymore...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good to see you back, had no idea you had to do national service.
it's something i'm strongly in agreement with, and i think it should be mandatory here in england, too.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Oh 1 year at the most?

At Israel its 3 years at the most and I think 1.5-2 years at least.

1 year

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm in for 5. I volunteered, though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh 1 year at the most?

At Israel its 3 years at the most and I think 1.5-2 years at least.

1 year
It depends on your age, sex, if you're married or not, and if you have kids or not. I know when I join the IDF I'll be 23-ish and won't have to serve for the full 3 years.

I think it's a good idea in general to have a mandatory service in some countries. It definitely helps people grow up a little bit and makes them more responsible. I'm glad they didn't have a draft here in America for the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, though. I feel like there's definitely enough volunteers for the army in America.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel like there's definitely enough volunteers for the army in America.
There aren't nearly enough for the Marine Corps, though.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you get me into the tomcat/harrier/JSF pilot list ill volunteer ^^
How fast can you run 3 miles and how many real pullups can you do (real meaning full extension)?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How fast do you need to be and how many pushups do you need to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom