One sun not enough for you?

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...es/story-fn5fsgyc-1225991009247#ixzz1BfaVL87G

The infamous red super-giant star in Orion’s nebula - Betelgeuse - is predicted to go gangbusters and the impending super-nova may reach Earth before 2012, and when it does, all of our wildest Star Wars dreams will come true.

The second biggest star in the universe is losing mass, a typical indication that a gravitation collapse is occurring.

When that happens, we'll get our second sun, according to Dr Brad Carter, Senior Lecturer of Physics at the University of Southern Queensland.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You didn't read the article, and you didn't quote correctly. Stop posting just to post; and at least read what you're posting.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but how are we getting a second sun if
“There’s a reasonably even chance of a neutron star or a black hole”
???

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
True story or not, I can only imagine the amounts of chaos the lack of night will cause.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Plus the energy that comes from that enormous explosion, I could imagine it could cause problems, even here on earth.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Plus the energy that comes from that enormous explosion, I could imagine it could cause problems, even here on earth.
Well lets see. It would pretty much short out all electrical systems all over the planet. But thats no reason for a panic right XD

I mean if we know when it happens, all we need to do is turn everything off for a few hours or days instead of waiting years for it all to be rebuilt ^^

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah this article holds water...
Indeed. It's comforting to know that we've managed to catalogue every star in the universe, so we can claim - with certainty - that Betelgeuse is the second largest of them all.

Perhaps I'm a little spoiled, but I prefer my scientific articles to be a little more dry and less dramatic. I'm sure there is some content of interest in the linked article, but the gross overstatements are definitely not appreciated.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well lets see. It would pretty much short out all electrical systems all over the planet. But thats no reason for a panic right XD

I mean if we know when it happens, all we need to do is turn everything off for a few hours or days instead of waiting years for it all to be rebuilt ^^
You know why the sky is blue right? The same thing applies here.
Seriously, this won't cause you more damage then our current sun does.

As for it happening. I'm skeptical.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know why the sky is blue right? The same thing applies here.
Seriously, this won't cause you more damage then our current sun does.

As for it happening. I'm skeptical.
Maybe i should add paranoid joke marks on it next tine ^^;

If this was true it would be news all over the world by now. With media saying "Dont panic"

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Please excuse my lack of knowledge but how are we getting a second sun if ???
The sequence is expected to go like this: Red Hypergiant -> supernova -> gravitational collapse of remains into Pulsar, Neutron Star, Strange Star, or Black Hole. During the supernova phase, the star will get rediculously bright, somewhere between Venus and the Moon, which are the brightest obejects in our sky besides the Sun. It will also get large enough to see with the naked eye. This condition will give us lightened nights for a few weeks before the star fades away. As has been said though, this could take anywhere from a day to a million years, nobody knows.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It gives me a bit of an unsettling feeling, but on the other side, it's extremely.. actually once the life time of our species.. rare. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
The world could explode in 2012, or in a million years. See, I can do it too.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This article was merely an attempt to keep the religious fanatics from turning the imminent collapse and light show of the star from becoming a martyrfest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom