Best answers
Not BAD mantis, for your first serious model. But i'm gonna be the one to tell you that its a huge waste of polys. If you have like 10 of those runnin around in almost any game it'll crash or lag alot. I suggest you tone that chest and arm section down to at least half the amount. And one other thing I noticed with it is that the ribcage looks a little smaller than it should... bring the sternum area down a tad.

Best answers
One of my nOOb models, don't worry this is for our serious sam mod. I am only showing this because I made a statement in the the ESF chat thread and I want to prove it. I need to decrease the polygon count a bit, but SS could handle this complet model. (it isn't finished yet it's only my first)here

Best answers
DAMN, teach me how to make a model like that dude, that's bad assed!

Best answers
It's not so hard to learn, it took me 3-4 months learning on my own with tutorials from the net. Really usefull was this tutorial of Gamasutra . It now has about 1000 polygons, this model probably would make HL crash that's why we have chosen to model for Serious Sam which would be able to handle this. And LightWave is much better then 3d Studio Max, used them both and I must say changing from 3dsm to lw is like bangin your head against a wall (3dsm) and then see the light (lightwave). So I prefer lw (expensive program but worth the trouble).

Best answers
1000 polys wow oh wait big deal and don't say that 1000 polys would probably crash HL cause it wouldn't the game runs just fine with high poly models. After all have you ever seen the BOTM models they are all around 1500 polys each and I've loaded a game and battled with 25 players in one server and not had HL crash. The game only crashes if your video hardware can't handle it or if you have a ****py CPU of if you have a weak amount of RAM like 32MB or lower.

Best answers
My pc is fine 384mb sdRAm, PIII 1ghz, TNT2 32 mb tv-out, 40 GB 7200rpm harddisk.

Best answers
I have lightwave, thank you very much, I only want 3DS Max, cause I wanna use it to animate models...

Best answers
Oh yeah!

This model kicks ass!
Its very, very cool!
Do you know for which person/char that model is?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Man thats tight, Even though its from a tut I never thought it would come out that good... Go to the Model Contest thread and look at my model, That took me days after almost three quarters of a year of practice

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That model is hella sweet but boy is there ALOT of wasted polys in it! You so need to cut that poly count in half! Dont get me wrong that model is excellent but 1000 polys for only the chest and arms thats ALOT!

BrunO

Best answers
OK, I admit there were to many polys, that's why I started all over again, now the whole body (except the head) has about 1500 polys. It isn't finished yet but you can find a pic here .

And indeed HL would crash, but I am modelling for Serious Sam which would be able to handle it. (if you see the amount of ennemies that sometimes run over your screen sometimes even I say wtf)

Best answers
Originally posted by Mantis
OK, I admit there were to many polys, that's why I started all over again, now the whole body (except the head) has about 1500 polys. It isn't finished yet but you can find a pic here .

And indeed HL would crash, but I am modelling for Serious Sam which would be able to handle it. (if you see the amount of ennemies that sometimes run over your screen sometimes even I say wtf)
I can't believe that I have to repeat myself but I guess you have a short-term memory but whatever. When you first posted the poly count 1000 big deal it won't crash HL 1500 a little higher than before still big deal it still won't crash HL. Half-Life will only crash if you make a model that exceeds you video hardwares abilities. Which most people have fairly good video cards so you would have to go a lot higher than 1500 polys to actually crash HL at the most your poly count would just reduce your frames per second rate a little but still BIG DEAL.

BTW Please don't make me repeat myself again I'm getting tired of it. Oh yeah one last thing stop badmouthing the HL engine even though it is a couple years old it still runs fine.

Best answers
If an hl models poly count exceeds 1200... you begin to experiance lag.. lots of lag..

Best answers
Ok so your saying 1200 makes you lag bad hmmm interesting seeing as how Battle Of The Millenium has all of there models above 1200 polys and there mod seems to play just fine even on my somewhat POS machine. I find it funny how you guys talk about the poly count lagging and I've played on a server with like 16 players on BOTM if you do the math thats a lot of polys running around and guess what I never lagged once. How do you explain that huh? Or can you explain it cause I'd like to see you try.

Banned
Banned
Best answers
King Kai..stop blathering...

I don't think the polycount on the BotM mdoels is that high....virtually every mod out there strives to keep their polycount at aroun 1000...makes it all-around easier for everybody.

And yes, the polycount of his model was fine for half-life.....but if you take it into consideration that it was just the headless upper torso....it would have easily been 2-3k+..maybe even higher...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom