One Megabyte...

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is all I can manage to compress with WinRAR!
I heard that WinRAR is really good with compressing file's but no mater what I archive it never changes the compression size.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
It depends on your Compression Rate / Speed with Winrar, but remember that it doesn't really alwys change much of the file size. Even i used Winrar to compress 750MB of files, and it turned out to be 700MB in the Rar size. Try to set the Compression in the menu, you'll see something like "high, fast, slow, normal" Etc.

Best answers
Well the compression does depends too on the type of file you are trying to compress. Where text files can be compressed very well in most circumstances, media files may not always be compressed well. Try out what Skyrider suggests and set the "Compression Method" to "Best" in the WinRAR settings.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What are you trying to compress? Some files are already compressed...like MP3s (their filesize will barely change if at all) and 'install file' type of files (an exe, for example). Plus you may be trying to RAR an .exe file that is in fact a winzip self-extracting archive--in which case the change wouldn't occur at all.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, what about Mpeg's and other video formats? are they already compressed or is it just the .avi format?
Also, if I were to try and compress a .rar compressed file it wouldnt work then is what your adding?
I'm mainly trying to compress video formats, my favorite WoW video's are just taking up too much space :(

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fatal_CobraX said:
Ah, what about Mpeg's and other video formats? are they already compressed or is it just the .avi format?
Also, if I were to try and compress a .rar compressed file it wouldnt work then is what your adding?
I'm mainly trying to compress video formats, my favorite WoW video's are just taking up too much space :(
Video files are generally already compressed file types. You aren't going to get a noticable filesize difference with WinRAR or WinZIP when compressing video files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom