omg, fyi, and lol are now considered words by the Oxford Dictionary

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about it? Maybe some people don't know what those stand for(living under a rock or smth) and want to know what it means. OED is a good source. :p

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I saw a rare species of bird and it made me say, "ohemgee!"

I've got a joke that will make you elohel.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Lol was already a word in the nl. Nothing new.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Language isnt static anyway, it changes non stop. dont be suprised if w8 will actually be adopted as common grammar. (not the best example but i dont know alot of english slang)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a difference between the evolution of a language and the bastardization of a language as a result of laziness. I can kind of understand "lol" as it describes an action usually relegated to the somewhat clumsy "ha ha" but the other two don't deserve their place in any dictionary unless there's a section for acronyms or something.

Then again, when reading literature written in times long past, I can't help but feel a little angry that people spoke and wrote in such flowery and expressive language while we mostly cut straight to the point and sound base now. I dont know if its the difference in education or simply a cultural difference, but books like the Count of Monte Cristo give me a raging boner. Twilight? Yeah. No.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Twilight lol, that's not even literature. That's some tweens wet dream fantasy printed to pages, not a real book.

And I agree with Nix for the most part, but I like that today our language is straight to the point really. I like the old style, too, but it gets tiresome after awhile.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's the difference between taking the time to actually court someone and going to a club and saying, "Hey. Wanna ****?"

Call me old-fashioned, but I still prefer the former.

If you don't consider Twilight literature, what would fit that description? Harry Potter?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's a difference between the evolution of a language and the bastardization of a language as a result of laziness. I can kind of understand "lol" as it describes an action usually relegated to the somewhat clumsy "ha ha" but the other two don't deserve their place in any dictionary unless there's a section for acronyms or something.

Then again, when reading literature written in times long past, I can't help but feel a little angry that people spoke and wrote in such flowery and expressive language while we mostly cut straight to the point and sound base now. I dont know if its the difference in education or simply a cultural difference, but books like the Count of Monte Cristo give me a raging boner. Twilight? Yeah. No.
The world is speeding up in a lot of ways, it's a shame that certain stuff suffers because of it. It's also why I personally don't consider this a bastardization, I do fully understand though, why others might.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Nixanthros skeet skeeted all over the thread.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The world is speeding up in a lot of ways, it's a shame that certain stuff suffers because of it. It's also why I personally don't consider this a bastardization, I do fully understand though, why others might.
While the world may be speeding up, the likes of lol and omg aren't necessarily a result of that, but of online culture, and more importantly, teenagers. When like becomes lyke and see you later becomes c u l8r, we're not so much trying to save time as we are just not forcing these idiots to learn their respective languages. To reward them and legitimize their way of communicating is to basically throw our arms up in surrender. These words aren't the same as adding google as our vocabulary. The example of google would be evolution of language through culture and use while the short-hand for every goddamn thing would be legitimizing instant-gratification teens and tweens who can barely construct a sentence without saying like 500 times.

cul8rbbyscwatsyciikellsc

I just saved so much time.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While the world may be speeding up, the likes of lol and omg aren't necessarily a result of that, but of online culture, and more importantly, teenagers. When like becomes lyke and see you later becomes c u l8r, we're not so much trying to save time as we are just not forcing these idiots to learn their respective languages. To reward them and legitimize their way of communicating is to basically throw our arms up in surrender. These words aren't the same as adding google as our vocabulary. The example of google would be evolution of language through culture and use while the short-hand for every goddamn thing would be legitimizing instant-gratification teens and tweens who can barely construct a sentence without saying like 500 times.

cul8rbbyscwatsyciikellsc

I just saved so much time.
It actually took me more time to decipher that then to read your whole paragraph.

Hence Proved.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I get stuck decrypting that after the See you later part ^^;

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I interpreted it as a sign that the Darkness Incarnate is upon us.

Discord Member
Best answers
they're just abbreviations .. get over it ... we aint changing like into lyke and later into l8er ... and teenagers and tweens arent the only ones that use it.

IMHO BFF and TMI are already in there ... and these are used WAY more

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
So are Americans the only people using abbreviations like these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom