Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome! I can't wait till 2012!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, remember that ooold thread, I don't remember what it was about anymore, but I think I told you to consider using a bike to go to work. Seems a lot of people will do just that. Or magically grow wings and fly there.

Wait, that might not actually be a bad idea. Let's make scientists alter our DNA so we grow wings on our shoulders. Yeah, who needs cars? Wings FTW

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I live in in New York. We walk, ride bikes, and take public transportation. Moving our cars and finding parking spots is too time-consuming and expensive. People just need to walk as much and as quickly as we do, and not only will gas and parking spaces no longer be a problem, but there won't be so many fatties in the suburbs too. Who needs wings when you have calves of steel?!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Still, many people still rely on cars as the primary method of transportation. I for one don't think I got in our family car for about a month or so. We only use it to go on trips. But then again I live in an incomparably small town compared to New York. People need to stop relying on cars so much. It isn't impossible, it isn't even hard. From what you say, if you live in New York, which is, if I'm not mistaken, the largest city in the world, and can use public transportation to get everywhere, people everywhere else can do the same. Don't you agree?

But then again, petrol isn't the only use of oil. It may be the largest use, but oil is also used for producing electrical energy and plastic. 70% of the world's electricity is gotten from oil. I believe that I read somewhere that 74% of America is powered by oil. It's a similar percentage here in Serbia, and many other countries. Most countries rely on oil heavily. Once it keeps getting more and more expensive, not only petrol prices will rise, but also electricity bills will skyrocket, plastic will get more expensive, hell oil is even used in some types of FOOD. We need to start changing our ways of living, or things are gonna get very, very ****ed.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's nice if you live in new york where everything is in walking distance, but for those who live elsewhere walking is really not an option. I have to travel 20km (don't ask me what that is in miles) to uni during the week, which is a 30 minute drive or over an hour on multiple forms of public transport, and I work in the city on weekends which is a 10km trip, 20 minutes in a car or about 45 minutes on a bus.

I think in a perfect world the size of a football field we could not rely on cars and walk everywhere, but in the real world it's not feasible to suggest not to drive.

On the subject of petrol prices, it's now $1.40/L (AUSD) on the cheap days going up as high as $1.60/L on weekends, thats seriously insane.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's nice if you live in new york where everything is in walking distance, but for those who live elsewhere walking is really not an option. I have to travel 20km (don't ask me what that is in miles) to uni during the week, which is a 30 minute drive or over an hour on multiple forms of public transport, and I work in the city on weekends which is a 10km trip, 20 minutes in a car or about 45 minutes on a bus.

I think in a perfect world the size of a football field we could not rely on cars and walk everywhere, but in the real world it's not feasible to suggest not to drive.

On the subject of petrol prices, it's now $1.40/L (AUSD) on the cheap days going up as high as $1.60/L on weekends, thats seriously insane.
Which is where public transportation comes into the mix. I have to travel 2 hours by train and bus to get to school, and then 2 hours coming back. I can't walk from my borough to the city to another borough and hope to get anywhere on time. Having a bus or a train around works out much better for us than having to spend money filling up on gas all the time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In Norway, the price is around 2 USD per litre. Beat that, foos.

Rocky, 20 kilometres is like, nothing ;P I had to travel something like 40 kilometres one way every day just two months ago. For those imperialists desperately clinging to their pathetic form of measurement (I don't even know what your system is based on) one mile is approximately 1.6 kilometres. Kilometres : 1.6 = Miles

Saying that it's great that the oil prices are moving up is ignorant, because of all the people depending on it. Believe it or not, a lot of people live outside of cities, and they need cars to drive places.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rocky, 20 kilometres is like, nothing ;P I had to travel something like 40 kilometres one way every day...
And I travelled 2-way 20km:

2*20=40

So the distance is the same :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I said one way. Meaning that one way is 40 kilometres. Two ways then being 80 kilometres. ;P

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saying that it's great that the oil prices are moving up is ignorant, because of all the people depending on it. Believe it or not, a lot of people live outside of cities, and they need cars to drive places.
As I said before, I can't wait until 2012.

Oh, and since you're such a silly Mr. Lazy Pants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units

Our system isn't really our system. We borrowed it from actual imperialists.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OH YES HE DID!

"You can't wait 'till 2012" because a lot of people will be suffering economical problems as a result of this? I heard sadists lived two thirds of a normal person's life.

Edit: Oh yes and I almost forgot, did I say Americans were the only people to use this system? No? That's strange. You seem to be placing ... words in my mouth? That's not very polite. I said imperialists. Where did it say "you Americans"? It didn't. Stop misreading every single post I make.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OH YES HE DID!

"You can't wait 'till 2012" because a lot of people will be suffering economical problems as a result of this? I heard sadists lived two thirds of a normal person's life.

Edit: Oh yes and I almost forgot, did I say Americans were the only people to use this system? No? That's strange. You seem to be placing ... words in my mouth? That's not very polite. I said imperialists. Where did it say "you Americans"? It didn't. Stop misreading every single post I make.
Way to "read in between the lines". Go look up the Mayan prophecy ordeal and then come back.

You said you didn't know where the Imperial system came from, so I directed you to its history. It was also quite clear you were calling us Imperialists. I don't know why you're upset, but I'm getting used to you being perpetually angry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but I'm getting used to you being perpetually angry.
We should prescribe him some prozac

HAI PROZAC!

The price of everything is really getting out of hand, I mean from an investment pov you can't fail with shares in oil companies, but from an average consumer's pov, at least in Australia where real estate is getting higher, the cost of groceries and etc. is getting higher, add to that the never-ending increase in petrol prices and you've got mr. average joe scrambling to pay the bills.

Not to mention the average wage isn't increasing at the same rate

I remember back in the day where petrol was 60c/L (maybe 10 years ago) and you didn't have to pay off your mortgage till the day you died.

Inflation is a *****.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Imperial units or the Imperial system is a collection of units, first defined in the British Weights and Measures Act of 1824, later refined (until 1959) and reduced.
Yes. I consider you imperialists because you use the imperial system. It was a pun of sorts. *Roars angrily at Zeo* I ar wrath, so so angry ovar dar intarnets. But not really.

Best answers
I go to work (21km) around 3am- 6am (my working times change) and at that time there isnt a single bus riding to the right direction. Theres no train stops here in the coutryside so i have little no choice but use a car if i want to get on time. (using a bike in winter while carrying another set of clothes and riding for 21km, doesnt sound very tempting.)

So there you go, its less possible to use public transportation in smaller towns or at the countryside.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying everyone in the world should use public transportation. There are hardly enough people in the countryside to cause a significant impact on the environment. People in large cities are the biggest consumers of oil. There's a car for every person and for some reason they'll drive right into bumper to bumper traffic every single day. Then you have people who refuse to carpool for whatever reason and that just exacerbates the problem. There's no reason not to use public transportation in large cities. It's convenient, it's safe, it's cheap and it'll get you where you're going.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...The point is that it's expensive for those who live outside of cities. The people outside of cities use more gas than the ones inside because of public transportation. There is none in the country worth speaking of. In our cities, public transportation is more often used than not, because it's cheaper and easier for a lot of people. In the country, cars are used a lot because there is no public transportation worth paying for, and because one has to drive around more.

I won't expect a New Yorker to understand how things work in the country.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless everyone in the countryside is riding around in Hummers, you're not using more gas than city dwellers. Factories produce only a fraction of the smog cities have. Personal vehicles produce most of the smog and aerial pollution in cities. There just aren't enough people in the countryside to match the number of people in cities using vehicles to create as large of a negative impact on the environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom