Official Firefox Thread

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Offical Firefox thread

Discussion of firefox in general, post extensions/themes and discuss firefox updates and changes etc.
21/12/06: Firefox 2.0.0.1 and 1.5.0.9 updates released, look here for more information. Grand Paradiso Alpha 1 (Gran Paradiso being the codename for firefox), which is based upon Gecko 1.9 has also been released recently.

Themes:

minifoxflat
Classic Compact
I find these two themes nice if you're someone who likes to make their browser UI as small as possible for maxium page viewing space.

Extensions:

Tiny Menu - Compresses the file menu into one whole menu to save space on the GUI.
Adblock Plus - Blocks webpage ads.
Adblock Filterset.G Updater - Companion extensio to adblock/adblock plus with more filter sets.
Customize Google - Removes crap search results from google (IE: search results that link you to stuff unrelated to your search etc, adds links to yahoo and other search engines when googling).
Fasterfox - Utilizes Prefetching to speed up browsing.
Mcafee siteadvisor - Changes color (green = site has no threats, yellow = medium concern, red = high concern). When the security level changes you can click on the bar and it will take you to a page with a analysis of information from people that have visted sites in question or mcafee's own findings.
New Tab Button on Tab Bar - Adds a new tab button on the tab bar. Nice if you want to replace the default new tab button you'd find amoung the firefox GUI or if you don't find yourself using a lot of keyboards shortcuts.
Flashgot - intergrates firefox with various download mangers
IE View - Launches pages in IE, can also be configured to work with other browsers like Opera.
FoxyTunes - allows control of various media palyers (Windows Media player, winamp, itunes, musicmatch jukebox just to name a few).
Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer - Create a account and store your bookmarks on a server. If you install this extension on another firefox installation on another computer (or use portable firefox on a usb disk like me), you can then download and use your bookmarks on another installation of firefox.
Password Exporter - Exports and imports passwords from one install of firefox to another through the use of a xml file. To import and export passwords, see the extension options in the addons manger under extensions.

Best answers
Ohh sweet :) :) but latly me has been very angry with Firefox....its screwing up on me...I think i
ll re-install it or something :) :)

-GuZzie

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Besides from Overlords list, I use DownloadThemAll!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A few more Extensions:

Tab-X - Changes the behavior of tab close buttons on tabs (tab close button will now not disappear when a lot of tabs are open)

Undo Closed Tabs Button - adds a button to go through and see a list of recently clsoed tabs (up to ten tabs via default) and saves you having to go through and do this via the tabs context menu. It also assigns a keyboard shortcut to this feature (Alt+Z).

Firefox Menu Buttons - Even though I don't use all of the buttons in this extension (as it would rape my gui pluss I can already access them fairly quickly through keyboard shortcuts), a few of the buttons from this extension I do find handy.

Flashblock - Disables flash on webpages, however it can be played be clicking on a button where you find the blocked content. Some ads can also bypass adblock because they use flash, so this can also block flash based ads.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Overlord be careful how many times you hit the submit reply button you posted the same thing twice but I removed the second copy.

*Back on Topic*

Do you know of any good download managers? lately I've noticed firefox saying my download is finished but only downloads half of the file. For instance a 100mb file I would try to download and it would only get 60MB and when I go to re download it I can't resume to where it left off. Got any ideas?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Phobius said:
Overlord be careful how many times you hit the submit reply button you posted the same thing twice but I removed the second copy.
Sorry, my net redialed in the process of me posting and I was unsure whether my post made it or not, though I'm pretty sure I deleted my 2nd psot when I saw it.

Phobius said:
Do you know of any good download managers? lately I've noticed firefox saying my download is finished but only downloads half of the file. For instance a 100mb file I would try to download and it would only get 60MB and when I go to re download it I can't resume to where it left off. Got any ideas?
I myself just use flashget.
Tsunami said:
I use...

Extensions:

Tabbrowser Preferences - Enables enhanced control for some aspects of tabbed browsing.

Forecastfox - Get international weather forecasts from AccuWeather.com, and display it in any toolbar or statusbar with this highly customizable and unobtrusive extension.

Themes:

Fusion Alternative 2

iFox
Ah, nearly forgot about Tabbrowser Preferences, I'll install that now, thanks for reminding me. With 2.0 implementing most of the features from popular tab extensions like tabmix plus, I haven't really felt compelled enough to look at the older tab extensions.

More extensions:

Chatzilla - IRC client for firefox. I myself use it on portable firefox for computers I don't find a irc client on or can't be bothered to install one on that computer.

Cookie Button - Button for easy access to cookie permissions. A button placed in the firefox toolbar allowing one to change cookie permissions for the host of the current page.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought I might use this thread for more then one use, also seeing as how Zorg recently created a new tech bench stocky containing a link to this thread. As you can see, the thread title has been changed (many thanks to Deman for changing the thread title upon request).

Firefox 1.5.0.9 and 2.0.0.1 have been released, fixing some security issues. For more information, look at this link. Grand Paradiso Alpha 1 (Gran Paradiso being the codename for firefox3) has also been released, and is based upon Gecko 1.9, a newer version of the rendering engine that will be used for firefox3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom