Obesity - Does economy play a role?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
My parents just got back from a three week vacation to various parts of Europe, and one of the things they said they noticed is that there aren't nearly as many obese people in Europe as in North America. Another thing the mentioned is how expensive everything is, food included. Example, two bottles of water and three gourmet cookies would cost about $3.00 Canadian roughly, my Dad was telling me how over there it cost him $16.00 Canadian (after conversion) to buy the exact same thing.

In restaurants, meals that would cost $20 here cost upwards of $45 over there (And apparently, at least in England, the food isn't that good either). Not only that, cost of living is higher there, (A lawyer here lives better than a lawyer making the same income over there). So basically, disposable income is far less available than it is here. So does that mean people don't have as much money to spend on food as we do?

Makes you think, does economy play that large of a role in obesity?
Of course it plays a role. We live in a land and time of plenty, of supersizes and economy-sized portions. We live in a society that trains us to:

1) 'Finish our plate' (remnants from the depression/world war age)
2) Always strive for the biggest, most expensive, "best" option

We live in a capitalist society that uses psychology and statistics. Both show that the more food you set down in front of someone, the more they'll eat. Also, people think they're getting a good deal by getting a much larger portion for "only twenty cents more" when in reality that larger size is normally priced and the smaller portions are the rip off, as opposed to a deal on the larger.

Solution? Don't eat fast food unless absolutely necessary, and when you do, make healthy choices. Obesity, while not in all cases, can be controlled through exercise and diet--not drugs or just giving up.

I think it's especially funny when I see fat people order three cheeseburgers and a diet soda--you're eating 1000+ calories--does the "diet" soda really make a difference?

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
1) 'Finish our plate' (remnants from the depression/world war age)
2) Always strive for the biggest, most expensive, "best" option
That's not economy, that's culture.....

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
That's not economy, that's culture.....
Had you actually read my whole post, you'd see that I said:

"We live in a society that trains us to:" etc.

I said, of course it (ecnomy) plays a role. The first thing I said pertained to the question asked: Yes, economy plays a role. We live in a time where food is cheap and most people can afford lots of it, and junkfood tastes better, and is usually cheaper.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I eat junk food all the time and I don't gain weight. What then?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you honestly sitting here and disputing the negative effects of junkfood? They're full of empty calories and fat. Obviously junkfood is not as good for you as healthier choices. The reason you eat "junk food and don't gain weight" is because you're burning the same number of calories as you're taking in.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris` said:
I eat junk food all the time and I don't gain weight. What then?
The less fat your body is composed of, the more calories you burn/the higher your metabolism is. I know people who are tiny that can eat a tremendous amount of food and not gain weight.

fat ass people are the reason for obescity

its simple, stop eating.

edit, didnt mean to quote
It's not simple as many people think.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare. Just simply 'stop eating' isnt that easy. It's not a matter of, "Know what, i'll stop eating. I can do it!" and you just do it.

I'm somewhat fat (not A HUGE *****), and i've tried to stop eating. You'll do it for like a few days, but sooner or later you'll catch yourself eating again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare, stop trolling the thread.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
yeah it is.
  • Lack of exercise/activity
  • Over-eating
  • Lack of eating
  • Thyroid disorder/disease
  • Genetic disorders
  • Heredity
  • Lack of sleep
  • Specific medications
  • Sickness
  • Stress
  • Depression
These are just a number of things that cause obesity.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh yeah, being severely overweight is never the persons fault.

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
It can be but it doesn't mean it always is the persons fault.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
Maybe the parents dont cook so all they do is go out and by McDonalds.

It's not the kid's fault he doesn't eat anything but mcdonalds.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
I never said it was or that it wasn't. Obesity can be caused by the person and obesity can be caused by something out of a persons control. It's not always a persons fault for being obese. What if they had a Thyroid disorder from birth which caused them to become obese later in life? Would you still think it's the persons fault for becoming obese?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ZeroNightmare said:
Not entirely true. I was put on a medication when I was younger that changed my metabolism called risperdal, which is used to treat mental related illness. My mum herself is on this medication herself at the moment for her mental problem, however she is on a higher dosage then I ever was when I had to take it as a kid.

I also find it funny how you just go "It's their fault for being fat", it's not the simplest thing for them to go out and start losing weight just like that. Depending on their body weight, if the over do it, bang, injury! It's when you really need to consult a doctor on the first approach or get some good advice. After all, if your'e going to lose weight it also has to work for the person losing the weight.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sorry, but around here i just dont see people doing anything about it. they are just like i'm fat what else am i goin to do. and i never see people doing anything about it...

...except those people who get their stomachs stapled. not advocating that btw,

Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
My point was that people don't have as much money to SPEND on fast food, which is more expensive to begin with.
I dont think that fast food accounts for most of obesity... or atleast all of it. It goes deeper than that. My cousin takes this one medicine that has made her burn weight at a slower pace, before the medicine... she was skinny. And dont forget about genetics, those also play a role in obesity.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I honestly think it's the opposite.

I don't think big quantities and ease of acquisition made America fat.

I think America is fat, and subsequently supply and demand leads us to bigger quantities and ease of acquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom