Obama

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
Thanks for cleaning that up, MC. I'm ideologically opposed to any form of gun control, and it's pisses me off so many half-assed liberals are wooing for it without properly understanding it.
I support gun control, but I also support the right to bear arms. And I don't believe stricter gun control will do much to limit crime and/or violence.

And let's not forget that politicians are more focused on (and thrive off of) the means of gun violence rather than the causes.

fortnox said:
Interesting thought; where did gun control come from? Your right to bear arms is guaranteed under the second amendment, so who on Earth first invented the concept of restricting gun trade?

The KKK. The Klu Klux Klan first invented gun control to keep weapons out of the hands of their victims, to leave them defenceless. Doesn't this speak miles about the purpose of gun control?
Gun control has been around long before the KKK came into existence.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
Gun control has been around long before the KKK came into existence.
Hence the need for an article stating "You shall not take our guns"

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Jesus said:
that's because, for the most part, you are.

it's the boy who cried wolf, thing.

and yeah, i pay for it through tax/national insurance, but i pay a hell of a lot less than americans on private do, and it's not something i have to consciously go out and look for. it's just THERE.
Except I'm not. Why wouldn't I want to live in a place where I don't have to pay for healthcare, yet still receive it? What person in their right mind wouldn't want to go there?

You can think i'm being sarcastic and kidding all you want. But not paying for something, and getting it anyway, is awesome. Whether you believe i'm joking or not.

G
Sub said:
Hence the need for an article stating "You shall not take our guns"
Sorry I exaggerated, I meant it's introduction into the United States post revolution.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
Thanks for cleaning that up, MC. I'm ideologically opposed to any form of gun control, and it's pisses me off so many half-assed liberals are wooing for it without properly understanding it. Interesting thought; where did gun control come from? Your right to bear arms is guaranteed under the second amendment, so who on Earth first invented the concept of restricting gun trade?

The KKK. The Klu Klux Klan first invented gun control to keep weapons out of the hands of their victims, to leave them defenceless. Doesn't this speak miles about the purpose of gun control?
Are you opposed to the assault weapons ban?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DiebytheSword said:
You would if you had a superior plan to the government one. I pay for other peoples social security benefits, even though I have my own retirement plan.
msn convo with my friend Alex said:
Lee says:
y0
Alex says:
hey man
Lee says:
how's it going bro?
Alex says:
alright, ****in wisdom tooth is killing me, waiting for hannahs mom to get home so that i can talk to her about going to thier dentist and setting up a payment plan to get these ****ers yanked out
Alex says:
i never got them pulled, well cause, im a dumbass and i regret it now :p
Lee says:
payment plan?
Lee says:
wtf?
Alex says:
iny is doing a nice job on malak
Lee says:
wouldn't know, got myself banned for posting meatspin :p
Alex says:
i dont have dental insurance and sometimes you can get payment plans set up so you dont have to pay all at once
Lee says:
wtf?
Alex says:
yeah i was wondering why you got banned
Lee says:
i'm so glad i'm english...
Lee says:
my government pays for all that ****
Alex says:
yeah well americas health system is like the ****tiest other than like clothes hangar abortions in 3rd world countries
Alex says:
everything is mad expensive
Alex says:
i could like sprain my ankle and id be better off just letting it heal than paying the hospital bill :p
Alex says:
if i lived in new york id hop the border to canada and get some free health care :p
Alex says:
so hows about linking me to what you posted that got you banned? :p
Lee says:
www.meatspin.com
Alex says:
omfg
so... maybe having a national plan, with the option to go private, would be a good idea? that's what we have here.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The so called assault weapon ban is actually kind of ridiculous.

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding stock
Conspicuous pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device which enables the launching or firing of rifle grenades)
Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or silencer
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm
Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine

You are allowed to have any of the questionable features, you're just not allowed to have all of them on one rifle. You can even alter the weapon after you buy it and its legal. The ban is innefective, and the ban, when in place, really doesn't alter anything for the rifle owner. An AR-15 is going to feel and act like an M4/M16 etc.

G
Chakra-X said:
Are you opposed to the assault weapons ban?
Of course. Just like I am opposed to the smoking ban, to criminalisation of cannabis and laws that restrict the right to gather peacefully. Any laws that infringe one's basic Human freedom is fundamentally, ethically wrong.

Best answers
Your basic human freedom involves shooting stuff with automatic weapons? More weed less guns!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fortnox said:
Of course. Just like I am opposed to the smoking ban, to criminalisation of cannabis and laws that restrict the right to gather peacefully. Any laws that infringe one's basic Human freedom is fundamentally, ethically wrong.
I can actually admire that kind of passion, feeling that such raw freedoms should not be something the government can step in and take away.

But personally, I do not think that just because we 'can' do something does not mean we 'should'. And as for that assault weapons ban, is that really all it does Cucumber? Ugh.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
harSens said:
Your basic human freedom involves shooting stuff with automatic weapons? More weed less guns!
No, my basic human freedom involves protecting my property and family from anything which might threaten it with any means neccesary. Those rights should not be infringed upon by the federal government, because it allows them to dictate, it gives them power. The constitution clearly states that the power belongs to the people, not the governement. Now, my common sense tells me that I should not own that type of firepower, as I don't need it on my small territory. The problem with legislating my right to have them away isn't in the fact that I shouldn't own them. It's the fact that the government is deciding for me what is right on my property.

As for the federal assault weapon ban, yes, that is all that it does. It is trivial, and its defenders and detractors seem to miss the point that its trivial.

G
harSens said:
Yes. Furthermore, not being able to do something you shouldn't, makes people weak. It should be up to each person to be intelligent enough to know what they shouldn't do- in this situation everyone would naturally develop critical minds and be far more intelligent. In our society everyone's intelligence is seceded to that of the politicians and authoritarians, and people are told what they're allowed to do. This creates a submissive, pacified and un-intelligent populace.

What's more, the Founding Fathers had a very key reason for allowing this freedom; Obviously they were revolutionaries, and they never would've been able to kill so many British officers as they did, nor arm their militants during the revolution if they had been denied arms. They understood that gun control was precedent to genocide, as we've seen in modern day from Hitler, Stalin and Ming (all great Gun Control advocates that killed tens of millions of their own people). They understood that the people must be armed to avoid the government having unchecked power over their people. Ghandi himself said that Britan's blackest crime in Africa was removing the people's right to bear arms. And even after his assassination, he was right.

Best answers
So the US/UN commits a black crime by not allowing Iran to bear nuclear arms?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your arguments consist of taking ours so far out of context that they seem ridiculous. Just remember, Iran's nukes will be able to reach you before they reach us.

Have fun with that.

Running with your technique why don't we just legislate our right to be different away, then Iran wouldn't want to nuke us, because we'd be exactly like them!

That would be peachy!

Iran doesn't want nukes for peacful purposes. Iran is not developing a nuke in a race with Nazi Germany or Japan. Iran is not trying to stop a genocidal regime from conquering the world. Iran is developing a weapon of mass destruction to wipe a region off of a map. Why you pretend that this isn't cause for alarm, or that an argument for bearing personal arms is somehow related to a religeous extremist nation's governent oppressing an entire region with a very not personal arm is absurd.

Just so we're straight on that.

And one last note; I would compeletely support Iranian people's rights to small arms to defend themselves from a nuclear powered tyrannical government.

Best answers
But it'll make them smart, not having arms will make them "submissive, pacified and un-intelligent".

Just playing the devil's advocate there, I'm perfectly fine with Iran not having nuclear arms. Although taking the devil's advocate game a bit further I could of course claim that the US is the only country that has actually used nukes in war and that they have threatened to invade the Netherlands if we ever bring American war criminals to international court (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hague_Invasion_Act).

Intelligence, what puts us above animals (although even animals have group constraints and rules), is bred from some setting constraints (by law if required), not by trying to experience every possible 'freedom'. Fortnox notion of linking gun control with Nazi Germany or other oppressive regimes is just as ludicrous as my UN argument. If the right to bear arms is necessary to overthrow your government, wouldn't modern days require much more heavier arms (jet fighters, tanks, etc.)?

Best answers
I like Obama... true i voted against him, but now that he's in office, im gonna support him.

The only thing thats gonna bother me is the fact that if Obama does well... then he gets full credit (which he rightfully deserves). However, if he does poorly, Bush gets full blame... which pisses me off. Its all about circumstance. I know Bush is well hated, but you cant place full blame on one man because your almighty Obama wasn't as almighty as you perceived him to be. It's asinine and ignorant to place blame on one man and his administration. I'm only saying this because i could see it happening.. especially since he's gonna have a hell of a time with his term in office due to this incoming depression.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
anyone who has a problem with gun control is an idiot.

seriously.

if the government wants to control how many, and what type of guns you can own. they aren't saying "you can't have guns". they are saying "you can't have enough guns to raise an army of your own".

one gun per person, is more than enough, don't you think?
maybe a hunting rifle, and a sidearm, at most.

but assault weapons? any gun capable of going full auto, is completely balls out crazy. you don't need it to protect yourself at all. if someone breaks into your home. your first thought should never be "how can i confront them?". but should always be "how can i keep myself and my family away from them?". having a gun will only get yourself, your family, or the intruder killed. murder in self defence, is still murder. and it's a heavy price to have on your conscience.

i would have thought, if you were so interested in protecting your family, you'd sleep with a mobile under your pillow so you can call the police any time you need. and make sure you can lock your own/your daughters bedroom door from the inside. most thieves don't want a confrontation. they want to get in, take what they are after, and get out. you have homeowner insurance for a reason. you can get a new tv. but i don't think you want mephit to get a new husband because you've been shot up by accident.

i think i've started to over personalise this post. my stance on gun control is this: i'm military trained, i hold a gun license, and am proficient in all small arms (anything short of an M50...). i've lived in some rough neighborhoods where breakins happen on a nightly basis. but i've never kept a working gun (i have a de-pinned mk23 with no live ammo anywhere in the house.) in or around myself or my family. it's not safe, it only promotes more violence. if you lock yourself in your room, call the police, and then either stay quiet, or if they try to communicate with you, tell them the police are coming, so they should just leave. then you'll be fine.

the only difference between a hero and an idiot is that the hero survived.

G
harSens said:
So the US/UN commits a black crime by not allowing Iran to bear nuclear arms?
The UN has allowed Israel to build nuclear weapons with a blink of an eye, with no media attention whatsoever and leaves them completely unchecked- they do not apply to the SALT agreement, nor do they have any obligation to tell the rest of the world how many nuclear weapons they build or how fast they are building them. The UN is a powerless, mislead joke. One could call them an extension of America's intentions. And America does not intend to allow Iran to have nuclear weapons.

Not that I believe Iran should have them, but I believe they should be responsible for their own choices. Don't forget that America built the first nuclear weapons, that America is responsible for starting the entire "Well they have one so we better have one too" snowball effect. Nuclear weapons are the result of America's ill intention, and yet they want to pick and choose who gets them? That is not gun control of a peaceful nature, that is gun control of an imperialistic nature.

harSens said:
Intelligence, what puts us above animals (although even animals have group constraints and rules), is bred from some setting constraints (by law if required), not by trying to experience every possible 'freedom'.
Then we have found the principle we disagree on. Constraints create order, to be sure. But they do not leave room for creativity or expansion of intelligence. The difference is the difference between being told what to do (which may or may not be the right thing), or deciding for yourself what to do (which may or may not be the right thing). People still make bad decisions in a society with constraints, because the power of the individual is immeasurable enough that constraints can be broken.
With constraints, people look toward the people who set the constraints for guidance, to solve all their problems. But these people often lean on the constraints themselves, rather than holding up the constraints. This creates a society where everyone is dependent on too few individuals. They become lazy, and those that set the constraints eventually become lazy too. Think of Rome, of the power of Caesar and generations later the weakness of his successors.
In a society with less or no restrictions, people must stand on their own, make every effort to survive and become strong in doing so. No-one else is going to fulfil their role for them, and so they have to think creatively and intelligently. I see no way in which constraints will ever foster intelligence.

harSens said:
Fortnox notion of linking gun control with Nazi Germany or other oppressive regimes is just as ludicrous as my UN argument. If the right to bear arms is necessary to overthrow your government, wouldn't modern days require much more heavier arms (jet fighters, tanks, etc.)?
You're taking my argument out of context, then. I explained that gun control was used by dictators to kill their masses to explain that gun control is not well intentioned and cannot be trusted.
And realistically in terms of overthrowing a government look up the Chinese revolutionary war or the Spanish Anarchist war, even the Cuban revolution, an incredibly successful campaign. I'm not advocating China or Cuba as nations of course, just that their history has some great victories of the people.
Furthermore, protecting yourself from your government /=/ revolutionary war. The most powerful ability of guns is fear, and from time to time it is necessary to remind your government that you are the ones with the power.
Going back to overthrowing government though, F16s and nuclear missiles or battleships do not even come into it. That's not how a revolutionary war is fought. Gurellia tactics are used to destroy vital parts of government, mass corporate destruction is caused and the people demand the resignation of government. You never enter a full scale conflict with an international military.

*edit* And as a last note for Gir, the domestic issues of owning a gun are completely irrelevant. The point of the right to bear arms is that people are intelligent enough that they know whether or not they need a gun and how they can use it. I'm not saying every person ever has to have a gun, nor am I saying you should put it in your cupboard in somewhere your kids can get to with a "Please don't touch" sticker. I would never own a gun in a free world, I see no reason in my current situation to do so. But if my government decided I was not allowed to own a gun, by hell I'd get one.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Jesus said:
anyone who has a problem with gun control is an idiot.

seriously.

if the government wants to control how many, and what type of guns you can own. they aren't saying "you can't have guns". they are saying "you can't have enough guns to raise an army of your own".
I appreciate being called an idiot.

The reason I am against gun control is because guns empower the people. I personally don't care whether guns are used to stop crime, they empower people to fight back against a tyrannical government. The entire reason America exists is because people back then had guns and were able to revolt against a system that they viewed as corrupt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom