nVidia Drivers

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi guys. I want to install the latest Drivers from nVidia... so when i download the driver, first i need to remove the installed one, or to just install to the another one?

Thanks in forward ;)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I just download the setup installation and run it while I already have my previous drivers installed. I was surprised as my install acted as an upgrade, which I really liked. But most people recommend uninstalling the old drivers before installing the new ones. Make sure to reboot your PC before you install the new drivers.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd recommend you to uninstall the old one first. I've had some issues with certain drivers when installing them while still having the older one installed.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
OK. Thanks guys ;)

---------- Double Post below was added at 04:53 PM has been merged with this post created 04:46 PM ----------

Holy ****... sorry for the double post but... when i go to Add or Remove Programs, it has two of nVidia..

1.) NVIDIA Drivers (913,00 MB)
2.) NVIDIA nView Desktop Menager (16,99 MB)

Which one of this should i remove... ?! :-/

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Here's how I install new drivers.

1) Uninstall old drivers from Add or Remove Programs. (Should be "NVIDIA Graphics Driver 1xx.xx or 2xx.xx")
2) When PC reboots, start in Safe Mode and use Driver Sweeper to remove leftovers from old drivers.
3) Reboot again and install new drivers.

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
The graphics drivers should be within NVIDIA Drivers. It's 913 MB probably because it contains sound, internet, physX and display drivers all in one. I think you can open it and uncheck what you don't want to uninstall. There's no way a graphics driver can be almost 1GB. I have the latest drivers (266.58) and it's only 60MB.

And yes, that's the Driver Sweeper I was talking about. Just make sure you get the latest version.

Best answers
Despite the fact that this is a older/dead thread, I'd thought I'd get this out there.

Any driver release newer than 266.35 at this point in time seems to cause slowdowns for HL1 mods (and yes, this includes esf), so best to avoid them for the time being unless you have newer cards that rely on a newer driver release (IE: GTX 550/560 TI)

I examined this behavior when I was playing esf a few weeks ago, wheres I'd easily get 100FPS with SLI 64xAA @ 1920x1200 vsync off. With the newer drivers, no matter what I did to tweak gfx settings (both ingame and in the nv cpanel), including disabling SLI, the end result would always be 30fps at my screen's native res during gameplay.

Last edited:
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I use the 266.58 drivers on my GT 220 and I actually saw a performance increase in ESF 1.2.3 with 4xAA and 16X AF.

Best answers
Confused the version numbers btw, 266.35 is the driver that appears to work fine with anything HL1 atm. Anything 266.58 or newer atm seems to give HL1 issues, so hopefully this will be fixed unlike UT2004 which got neglected for a while with newer drivers and strange performance side effects.

You can make 100 fps with the nVidia Control Panel config ;) Thats not the problem ;)
I don't understand quite what you're trying to say.

To even get to 100fps, obviously you have to force of vsync unless you have a 120hz panel and a gfx card to provide 120fps.

I use the 266.58 drivers on my GT 220 and I actually saw a performance increase in ESF 1.2.3 with 4xAA and 16X AF.
There are a few thread floating around the internet that say different, but it only may concern the implementation for new cards (IE: 400/500 series cards) that seem to be affected:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=190972&view=findpost&p=1180505

This driver fixed a good amount of problems that I had been having, however I am currently seeing 60+ less FPS vs the 258.96 driver in Half Life 1 based games/mods. Also most other OpenGL games seem to be suffering. Because of this issue I have had to revert to the original driver again.

I tried forcing the card to prefer maximum performance, however that did not fix the problem.
The above user was using a GTX460.

Apologies for dbl post, net dropout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom