Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Standard HL doesn't have normal maps :p

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I figured normal maps on environments would work with the new setup, but character models I had no idea since they usually contain all of its used textures in the MDL file itself, which doesnt use normals.

🌠 Staff
Best answers
well, the textures in the mdls are replaced with whatever textures we want through the .fxmtl file located in the models folder <<. so we can pretty much use whatever we want... tis how we have spec maps ingame as well as the ability to use normals, which we might still do but with "faked" normal textures not really real normal maps, just to add a bit of depth to things like saiyan armor shoulder pads with the bumps etc...

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
okay I guess I can say that now, we can use everything on everything in ESF, even parallax occlusion on characters while it wouldn't really match the style we have the capability. Therefore if you decide to have normalmaps on a model oyu can do that.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't it possible to apply normal maps to cell shaded models to enhance the shading effect?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
anyways, heres the download link.
http://rapidshare.com/files/408675041/bebi4.zip

This model is fully open to edit if anyone wishes to do so. If you wish I will also release the original Base I made it from

On the 1 condition that any models made out of it, progress to finish must be posted in this section, good or bad. In its own thread or the simple render thread, up to you.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Isn't it possible to apply normal maps to cell shaded models to enhance the shading effect?
yes that is correct you can do that.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Though as SV will point out, normal mapping models frequently looks weird and doesn't really work with ESF's style.

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's all a matter of configuration, the normal map itself isn't what makes it looks strange or weird, most of the times it's the author that doesn't fully comprehend how it works nor what exactly he can do with the other settings like specular etc. a lot of lazy authors try to bake their normal maps without understanding how the baking process works instead of building a high poly mesh for it, then a lot of them use wrong specular/shininess settings which makes it look too glossy or wet while it shouldn't, so proper normalmaps will almost always fit any model if set up correctly and in the style of the model.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well im glad I posted this thread then, I didnt know any of that.

I cant see any anime model needing normal maps, but oh well, maps could make use of it for some pwn.

anyone skinning him yet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom