Novodex Physics Engine in HL?!?!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Imagine this with ESF, it would make fighting SO much better with physics. And of course being able to pick up stuff and realisticly throwing barrels and stuff to people.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Meh, i'm not too impressed. Sure it looks like HL2's but if you think about it, HL2's physics aren't that great either. If you lift something up like a trashcan, and stuff is inside, everything inside goes EVERYWHERE, and shakes, and if possible it breaks. Like bottles inside one of those plastic boxes.

This is like that same thing, a bullet wouldn't knock back a box. A bullet would go right through it, same with a can. Bullets move at such a fast speed, that it goes straight through something if it can, in this case, wood... It would move right through it.

Same with pusing a pyramid of boxes. Sure the weight doesn't factor into it at all. I'd like to see you stack up a bunch of wooden boxes, and walk into it, and tell me if they fall over.

I wasn't impressed.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ermmm, HL2 has like, the best physics known in any game today. Sure, they haven't done everything right (such as what you mentioned, the boxes) but that is because it isn't a realistic game. Not everything has to be perfect. And if they manage to get physics into a HL ONE game, mind you. I would be very impressed as the game is over 6(!!) years old.

And I don't know what you exactly mean by the weight factor stuff, but you should try out Garry's Mod, a better physics game than that doesn't exist for HL2.

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Meh, i'm not too impressed. Sure it looks like HL2's but if you think about it, HL2's physics aren't that great either.

what are you smoking ?

the Havok Physics Engine is one of the most advanced physics engines to date.

For a game that will run on almost any pc, hl2 is an amazing achievment in the gaming industry. Hardly something to Sluff off as ordinary. The meqon Engine is the only other engine I've seen that is comparable to hl2's [when I say comparable I Actually mean better]

anyhow, On topic, I'm impressed For hl1 thats a nice improvement.

However, it seems feeble to try it, because hl2 does it better, and hl2 is already out. Not to mention, that Adding those nice physics will raise the sys reqs ... defeating any point in staying with hl1, aside from sheer stubbornnes to move foward with times.

Tbh Its only a matter of time before hl2 is looked down on like hl1 is now, With the next gen systems out, Next gen games will follow, with next gen engines. Personally I'm waitin for Duke Nukem Forever [runs on the Meqon engine] to come out [proly never will]

The meqon engine is truly an absolutly astonishing engine, If you dont know what it is, I reccomend doing a google search for it, There is a small demo of what it is capable of on Megagames.com

http://www.megagames.com/news/redir.cgi?http://www.meqon.com/downloadarea/meqon-demos-1.3.1.zip

^^^^ link for an awsome Physics engine demo [the animation blending, water / cloth / particle effects are where it truly surpases hl2] The procedural walk is great .. press number 4 and you can shoot the walking guys with a ball, the thing that makes that amazing, is that sometimes after you knock one ragdoll guy down, he may stand back up [you may or may not appreciate this .. but its quite spiffy ... making a character perform an animation while in ragdoll mode.. it could be done in hl2 i suppose .. but meh. anyhow, check that link out. [its a zip file, just open the zip and run the exe, then play around]

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have garry's mod, i don't smoke. HL2 uses the Source engine, not the Havok engine.

Also, if there is a computer OLD enough out there that can't handle HL1, then i feel sorry for the poor person who can't spend 400 dollars, and get a computer that can play HL1 with no problems, and many other more recent games. And I believe that HL1 is 7 or 8 years old.

Yes, HL2 certainly has a better physics engine, I recall in real life that if you throw a grenade at someone they will fly 200 feet up into the air like a rag doll. So realistic.

Hell I find F.E.A.R to be a better physics engine, and it's not that much better than HL2.

Best answers
400$ for a pc can get you something that can run doom 3 if you build it yourself.

anyhow, the Source engine runs off the Havok Physics engine -_-

As far as launching people 200 feet in the air[I think thats a bit exagerated =p] ... tbh, that doesnt mean the engine is poor, What makes the engine so great, is that it can handle putting 25 High quality Gmans in a dog pile, lighting them on fire, then bulldozing a car through the pile of twenty different 10,000 polygon, bumpmapped models that are on fire, without a problem, On an average system, on average settings.

and last I checked, there were not a whole ton of games that calculate density / mass / trajectory of just about every single object in the game, and allow you to fling them around so they can interact with eachother.

Fear and hl2's physics engine's don't do anything the other can't

Judging which one does what better is personal preference tbh, both games are stylized, not going for 100% realism.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
bile said:
400$ for a pc can get you something that can run doom 3 if you build it yourself.

anyhow, the Source engine runs off the Havok Physics engine -_-

As far as launching people 200 feet in the air[I think thats a bit exagerated =p] ... tbh, that doesnt mean the engine is poor, What makes the engine so great, is that it can handle putting 25 High quality Gmans in a dog pile, lighting them on fire, then bulldozing a car through the pile of twenty different 10,000 polygon, bumpmapped models that are on fire, without a problem, On an average system, on average settings.

and last I checked, there were not a whole ton of games that calculate density / mass / trajectory of just about every single object in the game, and allow you to fling them around so they can interact with eachother.

Fear and hl2's physics engine's don't do anything the other can't

Judging which one does what better is personal preference tbh, both games are stylized, not going for 100% realism.
Not really, the only thing F.E.A.R does that I don't like, is when you explode someone they go across the entire map, same thing in HL2.

And no, lauching people 200 feet up in the air with a grenade is not exaterating, play HL2, or play Garry's mod and you'll see what I mean.

I never said F.E.A.R did something HL2 can't. I said it has a better physics engine because it's more realistic. And don't tell me it's not, it's more realistic than any game I've ever played. Physics, graphics, and everything else. Except maybe the fact that you have to shoot someone 3 times in the head to kill them. Then again, you have to shoot someone 5 times in HL2 to kill them.

Oh, and by the time people look down on HL2 as we look down on HL1 today, HL3 will be out.

I don't care what you say: My opininion in the fact that this video wasn't impressive, and the physics engines aren't as good as they could have been, still stands. Take a 9mm or a revolver or some sort of gun, any gun, hell a .22 rifle will do, and shoot at a piece of wood, or shoot at an empty can of soda. Tell me what happens, then shoot at the same thing in ANY game, whether it's HL2 or F.E.A.R or Doom 3 or any other game with physics, and tell me what happens. It's not realistic.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
I have garry's mod, i don't smoke. HL2 uses the Source engine, not the Havok engine.
HL2's "collection" of rendering algorithms, input loops, resource formats, etc. is called the "source engine". The Havok physics engine is what comprises the physics component of the "source engine". It's a component OF the "source engine", not the base it was built off of.

And if any of you think HL2's physics are realistic, you have a very distorted perception of reality where everyone has rubber joints. :p

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Tell me what happens, then shoot at the same thing in ANY game, whether it's HL2 or F.E.A.R or Doom 3 or any other game with physics, and tell me what happens. It's not realistic.
Yeah, but girls crawling on the ceiling is.

While you're entitled to your opinion, HL2 is acclaimed for having some of the greatest innovations in physics in the gaming industry, by physicists. Until you code your own engine, or show up with a software engineering degree, I have a feeling your opinion doesn't hold much weight against a physicist.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Yeah, but girls crawling on the ceiling is.

While you're entitled to your opinion, HL2 is acclaimed for having some of the greatest innovations in physics in the gaming industry, by physicists. Until you code your own engine, or show up with a software engineering degree, I have a feeling your opinion doesn't hold much weight against a physicist.
Yeah i forgot about that part.

And if I'm supposed to give a **** how much my opinion weighs, let me know. Because I don't.

Best answers
Someone seems to be forgetting that realism does not = fun. I've been watching boxes stay still as I shoot them for years in games. It's boring. I personally welcome these unrealistic physics with open arms.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-JLN- said:
Someone seems to be forgetting that realism does not = fun. I've been watching boxes stay still as I shoot them for years in games. It's boring. I personally welcome these unrealistic physics with open arms.
That all depends on prefrence i think. I'd like a fps game such as HL2 be more realistic than unrealistic. Same with F.E.A.R. I say it depends on the game if i want the boxes to move or not. For example, if the bullets go straight through the box (like it should) then i say keep them staying still. It could be used for strategy, if they don't, i'd prefer them to be knocked over. In HL2 it really doesn't matter i suppose seeing as you have the gravity gun and all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that the box should move a little bit when it is shot at. Depending on the sharpness / bluntness of the bullet, it should move back a lil bit. Going into detail nows.
Lets say a bullet that is half sharp / half blunt. It hits a box, made out of wood. When it hits the box, it impacts it, before it goes straight though. Making the box move back. Not topple over 'lolstyle'. Just move back.

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
That all depends on prefrence i think. I'd like a fps game such as HL2 be more realistic than unrealistic. Same with F.E.A.R. I say it depends on the game if i want the boxes to move or not. For example, if the bullets go straight through the box (like it should) then i say keep them staying still. It could be used for strategy, if they don't, i'd prefer them to be knocked over. In HL2 it really doesn't matter i suppose seeing as you have the gravity gun and all.
You're forgetting one thing. Usually, boxes in factories have something IN them. You expect for the box to not move an inch while the bullet travels through everything?

Also, go out and shoot a can. It will fly. Sure, the bullet goes through, but it takes the can with it.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CM said:
You're forgetting one thing. Usually, boxes in factories have something IN them. You expect for the box to not move an inch while the bullet travels through everything?

Also, go out and shoot a can. It will fly. Sure, the bullet goes through, but it takes the can with it.
I guess any can around me disobeys the laws of w/e. Physics, gravity, anything. I said an empty can. Why in God's name would I shoot a can with something in it? I'm not a moron. I take a soda can, I drink it like most people do, and then use it for target practice. As for boxes... Yes you're right, that's why when you take a crowbar in HL2 USUALLY there is nothing in them, and on the rare occasion a health pack or something, which as i recall doesn't take up the entire box. Now HL1 on the other hand is a different story, theres a **** load of useless stuff in the boxes, so that i'll agree on.

Best answers
Sicron said:
Ermmm, HL2 has like, the best physics known in any game today. Sure, they haven't done everything right (such as what you mentioned, the boxes) but that is because it isn't a realistic game. Not everything has to be perfect. And if they manage to get physics into a HL ONE game, mind you. I would be very impressed as the game is over 6(!!) years old.

And I don't know what you exactly mean by the weight factor stuff, but you should try out Garry's Mod, a better physics game than that doesn't exist for HL2.
yeah not to mention they (if am not mistaken) scale back on the physic settings in hl2 so the game can run properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom