Not a noob, but need assistance.

Best answers
Alright guys, i've been playing CS since 1.4 so i'm not too nubby. I have Steam installed. Yes, i bought Hl1 when it came out, AND bought Hl2. I downloaded the 186mb 1.2.3 install file and did install it. When i start up steam, it does show as a "3rd party program" BUT when i click to play the game, alas.... it brings up Half Life 1. When i double click the icon on the desktop, it says "Fatal error - Could not Find filesystem.dll to load.

My path for installation WAS found, and under the SteamApps\Half-Life\ i see an "esf" folder which = a good sign. The target for the desktop icon is accurate, pointing to the hl.exe in the main SteamApps\Half-Life\ folder.

I'm running on Win Xp Pro - Sp2, and i've played countless 3rd Party games before. What I might try doing is Download the OOOOLLLLDDDD version, and try all the patches. But just wanted to see if anyone else could think of anything. Oh ya, for the desktop icon it does say "G:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life\hl.exe" -console -game esf" so i know all my directories are ok.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Run Half-Life 1 before you try to install.

Best answers
lol i've done that, even have older saved files from Hl1. Like I said, i'm not a noob and the directories LOOK like they're in the right place.

G:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\[email protected]\half-life and inside is an "esf" folder containing everything.

Everything is up to date from Steam, and I mean EVERYTHING from Hl1 - Hl2 to CS-CS:CZ-CS:S, I have every game.

I was reading up on an Fmod.dll file? Where would this be located... in the esf folder or hl folder? esf beta mod.dll? I'm not seeing any Mod.dll files in my Hl1 dir.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried reinstalling with a different installer?

Best answers
reinstalling ESF with a different installer? like what... basically all the "help" on the forums i've already read. all the things that were mentioned, i already tried... my problem ISN"T like anyone elses. what i'm wondering about is why the -console -game esf is bringing the Hl1 page up. apparently 1 of the .dll files isn't being in place correctly. i've looked at all the config files and the LOOK right.

since there's no .gcf file i can't try making a solo directory named esf and i have to make it INSIDE \half-life\ dir. like ive been saying all along, i am not a newb and have tried many different thing and is wondering what else can be wrong. I installed the old 1.2 then patched my way up, and that still did jack squat. What is the esfbetamod.dll file? Is it something i need?? is it very important?? Telling me to reinstall and make sure Hl1 can run won't do anything. I've done all that 10000 times.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Installers have been known to be corrupted or missing some things. Try installing with an installer you get from a different location.

If that doesn't work, get 1.2 and patch up each step untill you hit 1.2.3.

Best answers
Well as i said previously, I have tried from 1.2 and went up all the way and that didn't work. I'll try other installers... but is there an actual fix for this rather than keep trying new installers? This seems like an awesome mod, if i can get it to work.

Best answers
MiniGohanGuy said:
reinstalling ESF with a different installer? like what... basically all the "help" on the forums i've already read. all the things that were mentioned, i already tried... my problem ISN"T like anyone elses. what i'm wondering about is why the -console -game esf is bringing the Hl1 page up. apparently 1 of the .dll files isn't being in place correctly. i've looked at all the config files and the LOOK right.

since there's no .gcf file i can't try making a solo directory named esf and i have to make it INSIDE \half-life\ dir. like ive been saying all along, i am not a newb and have tried many different thing and is wondering what else can be wrong. I installed the old 1.2 then patched my way up, and that still did jack squat. What is the esfbetamod.dll file? Is it something i need?? is it very important?? Telling me to reinstall and make sure Hl1 can run won't do anything. I've done all that 10000 times.
I'm getting the same problem as well. I've had counterstrike since like beta5, but when 1.6 moved to Steam (I still hate how they shoved it down our throats), they moved the files around and junk, so I don't know if the old methods of "-game esf,cstrike,dod,etc" passthrough arguments work anymore on the command line. I don't know how steam works but it appears that there are several copies of HL and HL2 in the respective games' directories. It's odd to note that there are *.scr files in the base apps directory, but ... ... anyone with a clue on how to either get the right directory or change some files that'll allow ESF (or any 3rd party game) to run under Steam and HL1 (with HL2 installed as well).

hope there's an answer relatively soon... thanks and stuff. =P

Best answers
Well I fixed my problem and it wasn't reinstalling a lot of crap. I had Steam installed on 2 drives, C: and G: My C: was for my smaller games and my G: (250gb) was for the larger games. Apparently, even though I was using the G: executable for steam AND installed everything over there, ESF kept on trying to go under my C: which was causing major problems. So to rectify the problem, I deleted the Steam folder out of my C: and left it in my G: and now it works PERFECTLY. Kinda weird how it would keep on pointing to the C: even though the updates, AND hl1 was running off the G: drive.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, thanks for letting us know. If we encounter any problems like this in the future we have you to thank for the solution :).

Best answers
*YAY* lol well, i did some testing and it always wants to go to the default C: if there are multiple folders, and it did that with Natural Selection as well, it's not just ESF. So people, make sure you don't have multiple Steam folders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom