Nostalgia-R-Us

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh man. For the ESF Dudes, we need to do a "Where Are They Now?" I know what a few of those guys are still up to, but don't feel it is within my right to say :p

If you still talk with anyone from that picture that is no longer around, drop them an IM or email and link them to this thread :O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
No, sorry. Only saved those Cucumba things, used to enjoy his sigs a bit.

Also --> http://web.archive.org/web/20030618214849/http://www.esforces.com/
Wow I actually still remember when they first showcased the after image effect

Remember the kickass trailer for Beta 1.0?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbIEO9pHAA4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbIEO9pHAA4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, I loved that 2003 members pic. It's newer incarnations were nice, too, but that one was my favorite :)

It's probably just the rose-coloured veil of nostalgia doing the talking, but the community was at its finest back then, imo.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah the good old days, they're what made me stick around here. I remember all the old updates ^^ It was a while before I used to post here though.

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ha! That's what I get for never sending in a picture. You're right though Majin, those were the good times. :D

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbIEO9pHAA4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qbIEO9pHAA4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I remember that video. Do you have the one for 1.1?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I'm pumped for ESF v1! WOO :p It was quite ground breaking for sure. QUICK SOMEONE FIND MECHMOD VIDS D:!

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Need to post the old alpha screenshots of the stretched models :p

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Oh man, all the memories that stemmed from here.

HLEB, playing on satan's tricked out server...the 1.0 and post 1.1 days were my favorite. I remember the 1.1 trailer with the old school intro, showing ESF_guru, beam jumping, and trunks' sword off. hawt.

If anyone else remembers, when 1.1 was released I believe the team decided to release the linux build first, so people who ran dedicated servers would have them up and ready for release, however I think there was a mess up and somehow the linux install worked and a few lucky people played 1.1 a day early. I remember that night when we'd be on a server thinking we were all awesome having 1.1 early, then Valkyrie_Alpha and the rest of the team joined the server and we had a blast. (this was before I was a tester and didn't know the dev team at all).

PcJoe was the god of 1.0 for a while, whenever you found him on a server (Which was rare enough) everyone wanted a piece of him but he was the champ as far as the early 1.0 days, haha.

If anyone can remember my old partner in crime when I first joined the forum you win a prize.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh man, all the memories that stemmed from here.

HLEB, playing on satan's tricked out server...the 1.0 and post 1.1 days were my favorite. I remember the 1.1 trailer with the old school intro, showing ESF_guru, beam jumping, and trunks' sword off. hawt.

If anyone else remembers, when 1.1 was released I believe the team decided to release the linux build first, so people who ran dedicated servers would have them up and ready for release, however I think there was a mess up and somehow the linux install worked and a few lucky people played 1.1 a day early. I remember that night when we'd be on a server thinking we were all awesome having 1.1 early, then Valkyrie_Alpha and the rest of the team joined the server and we had a blast. (this was before I was a tester and didn't know the dev team at all).

PcJoe was the god of 1.0 for a while, whenever you found him on a server (Which was rare enough) everyone wanted a piece of him but he was the champ as far as the early 1.0 days, haha.

If anyone can remember my old partner in crime when I first joined the forum you win a prize.
You know I know but we both know I should leave it up to someone else to guess. It was back when you had to have 50 posts before you could get an avatar and he was spamming like crazy. He got pissed off at me for telling him to cut it out :x

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If anyone else remembers, when 1.1 was released I believe the team decided to release the linux build first, so people who ran dedicated servers would have them up and ready for release, however I think there was a mess up and somehow the linux install worked and a few lucky people played 1.1 a day early. I remember that night when we'd be on a server thinking we were all awesome having 1.1 early, then Valkyrie_Alpha and the rest of the team joined the server and we had a blast.
I actually was a tester back then, we had "strict" orders to not play the game early.
however because some people managed to start playing ESF through the Linux version, which was incomplete BTW(no advanced melee arrows, graphics missing and what not..) we were allowed to join those people and rip them a new one!

we had a blast

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fm? If not I have no clue :D
Heh, you're way off the mark. .FM. was largely bygone (well, as .FM., at least) at that point.

I remember Magus' spammy side-kick. I also remember someone else he used to associate with almost immediately after joining the community (had a "drew" in his name, I'm pretty sure).

I even remember a certain life-changing non-official warning I gave =P

EDIT - Erm, Proz; I'm pretty sure you and I were hired around the same time, and that was after the 1.1 release o_O

We were 1.2 testers :p

EDIT part deux: Yup; you were brought in on February 22nd, 2004. That was back in the glory day of the hippo-commanded testing team. That was shortly after Valk retired as the head tester. I remember posting in one of the last of his in-team build comments threads. It was one of the two or three bugs I actually managed to track down in the, like, 2 years of testing I did. Go me! \o/

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, I meant it in a pejorative kind of way, as it was hardly "life-changing" per se. However, the person to whom it was directed has, in the past, claimed that it changed the way he chose to behave in the community. I'm sure there were numerous other factors :p

I'll let the recipient of said informal warning narrate the tale, if he so chooses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom