Normal Map Study

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've known how to normal map for quite sometime, but untill recently my results varied way to much for me to rely on it. Thus, for the past few days I've been studying normal mapping and doing several demo runs of it.

Here is my latest, the anatomy isn't right and i'm not going to pretend it is, but both the low res mesh and the high res mesh were built in about half an hours time.

the model to the left weighs in at 200k, but the model to the right with the normal map applied is only 675 triangles.

This is still a work in progress.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
can we get a wire frame of the face, looks interesting :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
which face?

Since you're not replying to my IM.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<b>T</b>hat r<b>e</b>ally loo<b>k</b>s cool, <b>i</b>t look<b>s</b> like you <b>g</b>ot <b>a</b> reall<b>y</b> good understanding of anatomy now, stil<b>l</b> needs s<b>o</b>me more <b>l</b>ovin though, smaller brushes would help. Good job learning zbrush.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Only one REALLY BIG disadvantages ala Doom 3, the head shape still stay blocky :/

Best answers
Enix said:
<b>T</b>hat r<b>e</b>ally loo<b>k</b>s cool, <b>i</b>t look<b>s</b> like you <b>g</b>ot <b>a</b> reall<b>y</b> good understanding of anatomy now, stil<b>l</b> needs s<b>o</b>me more <b>l</b>ovin though, smaller brushes would help. Good job learning zbrush.
lol thats mean enix. looking good tek.

Best answers
Enix said:

Ya, looks great Teknik, you improved a freaking lot =O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sadner said:
Ya, looks great Teknik, you improved a freaking lot =O
Stop talking before u know who warns you
:p

That Zbrush really makes up for where the poly-count lacks.
Cool

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So the model flaps a unicorn... uh... looks great. It really needs the orly skills. Well... thats luck... er.... I mean it rocks.

Yeah....

Best answers
wait wait ...did oyu use zbrush,...or did youjsut use the highrez to generate a normal map that you applied to the low rez?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I built a base mesh in max, exported it to zbrush made a high rez mesh exported teh high rez and a low rez back to max then rendered teh normal maps using the render to texture.

Best answers
do you think you could teach me how to use zbrush sometime...i tried the demo before...but i was lost...i couldn't figure out how to work 3d in there,....all it gave me was just a flat surface to paint on... =(

could you add me on msn : [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom