Non-Steam Half-Life

Best answers
I own the first edition of Half-Life. There was no Steam in this time. When Steam came, I've faced some dark times. Steam was (still? I can't say it, since I no longer use it) a horrible system, with lack of security. Yet, I had to migrate to this system to continue playing online. I created an steam account. And well, it was stolen - undoubtedly not a particular case. Valve showed no interests in supporting me. I've paid for their products, they changed their f*ing system and then I'm completely LOST. So, I'm a international customer with no positions to take. Half-Life wasn't originally developed to run with Steam.

The question is: Cannot I simply play the mod with a non-steam version? Why not to support it?

BTW: When ESF 1.3 will be released?

Just kidding... :x

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF requires the latest version of HL to run properly, which is only obtainable over Steam. Don't worry, Steam's improved a lot since its release and is pretty secure.

Best answers
I understand. But I just have to buy it AGAIN. :)
I feel like supporting a company that don't support customers.

They've said to me that the only way to recover my account is giving them a scanned image of my game box containing the CD-KEY. But, shi-, the game box doesn't exists for years.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yup, that means you'll just have to buy it again. But the good thing is the game is only around 10 dollars.

ESF Old Timer
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
As for steam-supports they help everyone out. They helped me out once.
As for steam it is a lot better then the old days after the first release.

In time comes progress everyone should know that.
Buying Half-life is the best option for you I think and like Sky say its only $10,-

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
You can reclaim your stolen account here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2347-qdfn-4366

Just follow the steps. You pretty much just need to give them the account info (account name, and email) and take a picture of the Half-Life first edition you own with the cd-key showing.
Ehm, he has already done so:
They've said to me that the only way to recover my account is giving them a scanned image of my game box containing the CD-KEY. But, shi-, the game box doesn't exists for years.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CD Key is on the CD sin't it?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I understand. But I just have to buy it AGAIN. :)
I feel like supporting a company that don't support customers.

Game box? I think they meant the jewel case.

The cd-key should be printed on the front of the front cover in the jewel case.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well tbh, no steam accounts get stolen, it's either users giving out their passwords (sometimes via phishing sites) or not using strong enough passwords. I don't really think valve is to blame for that.

As for supporting non-Steam HL, that's completely impossible, as that's the safest way to get ESF shut down (apart from selling it for $$$), as nobody likes people who openly support piracy.

And as a last point, HL is dirt cheap, it was on sale for .99$ for pretty long as well (and I think more than once).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom