No Portal in Half-Life 2

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In a conference with fellow game professionals went into detail about Valve's decision to hold Portal's game separate from the action in Half-Life 2. It is still noted that Portal exists within the Half-Life universe. Initially intended to add to the game mechanic of Half-Life 2, they later thought it would be too distracting for the player. The Portal device will only be used in it's own environment. "Doing something new can be a really big risk and adding something innovative to something already exists can often disrupt and create new games," she said.

With Portal co-existing in a world along with Half-Life, crossovers are a definite possibility. Unfortunately, according to Kim Swift, we won't be seeing any Portal gun versus Gravity gun duels in the foreseeable future. Rumors surrounding the device's name, "Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device" suggested the return of another Half-Life character, Adrian Shephard. Adrian, the central character to Opposing Force, meets a similar fate to Gordon Freeman under the G-Man. Though the sequel to Half-Life continues Gordon's story, the whereabouts and condition of Adrian is still relatively unknown.
http://www.planethalflife.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=115496

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I had no idea Portal happened in the HL universe at all. o_o Dang

I wonder when they'll bring back Sheperd...

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wasn't expecting to see it in Half-Life 2. You'd basically have to design the entire game around the Portal Gun because of how it can be abused, and that's not what half-life is about. I'd rather see a full fledged portal game with an easy to use map maker (like the things the farcry guys did / are doing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom