No operating system please help!!!!

Best answers
i have a packard bell laptop with xp on it it has no recovery disks of any kind or a floppy drive to reset it i always pressed F11. I tried to install ubuntu and the disk was damaged so i gave up i partitioned the harddrive using partition magic and left windows on it but now the problems is when i want to go back to windows it just says Missing Operating System Help me please

Thanks

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Tried using a ms-dos start up disk? And or a WinXp cd to re-install?

Best answers
it has no floppy drive and i cant satrt in dos and have no xp cd. is there some way to delete the linux partition then hopefully everythoing will go back to normal

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Grundig29 said:
it has no floppy drive and i cant satrt in dos and have no xp cd. is there some way to delete the linux partition then hopefully everythoing will go back to normal
Having no Floppy disk = bad. You should atleast have that. And having no WinXP / Win2K installation cd just makes it worse for you. Perhaps someone else can help you with this problem. All my knowlegde with MS-dos and installations are with floppy disk ^_^ (and cd-rom of course)

Perhaps this link may help you further:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

To think of it, you are able to put a boot-able sequence on a CD.. Like a startup-disk, but then on a cd. Like this one: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Or use google to search for it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=boot+cd&btnG=Search

If you can't burn the files to a CD on your own computer or on other one. You're just making things more difficult for you. With other words.... get a Floppy Driver :p

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How exactly did you (re)partition the hard disk? If you made a new partition out of the partition you were using for Windows, chances are you've already overwritten critical files...

Nonetheless, try installing LILO or GRUB, the Linux boot loaders (Ubuntu should guide you through it). You'll atleast be able to boot into Ubuntu, then.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get a floppy drive ya bum =P. Only $5 or $10 from a store and use someone elses pc to make a boot disc. Then from there format the drive and view the status on your partitions.

Best answers
i now have the windoews paritition active and it loads but when it gets to the system check screen i get this then it reboots the same things happena agian and again

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
The only thing i can tell you that it seems that your whole Operation System (Windows XP in this case) it totally corrupted. Only way to fix that is to get a nice WinXP cd, and attempt to do a repair, or re-installation.

Best answers
i dont have one but is it poss to download one and use my current cd key sorry if this is warez.
I will delete if it is

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
It is possible to download it, yes. But if it is illegal since you own Windows XP / key already, i have no idea. That's up to you. You could always borrow the Windows XP cd from someone else, for you to be able to either repair or to re-install windows. (Then again, if you download anything software related which you have pay for, means it is illegal)

Best answers
thanks for your help i will go and buy xp i need it for my new comp anyway wish i had done this earlier

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
No Problem. While you're at it, buy a floppy driver as well. ^_^

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
It sounds like you either toggled the bootable flag off your windows partition, or overwrote your master boot record. My guess is that in Partition Magic, you checked off the box 'make this partition bootable right away' or whatever it was.

Assuming you didn't completely blow away your NTFS/FAT32 partition that XP was chilling on, you should be able to boot off a linux livecd or even the Ubuntu installer disc and install grub ( a bootloader, lets you pick what OS to boot into ). After that, just make an entry for your Windows partition, which is probably root(hda,0).

Once you can boot into Windows, just open a command prompt and type "fdisk /mbr" to rewrite the original master boot record that Windows was using.

Although this all depends on what you actually did and how you partitioned the drive.

Actually, do what dragondude said: continue installing Ubuntu (if you need help post here), and at the end it will install grub and automatically put in an entry for your Windows installation. After that, should you choose to want to remove Ubuntu, just follow the "fdisk /mbr" step up above, then use Partition Magic to add the ext3/reiserfs/whatever partitions from Ubuntu back to Windows.

Posted from an Ubuntu 5.10 installation =)

Best answers
The windows partition was a mess bu the oem boot partition was still intact i managed to activate it and everything is back like it came out the shop. Thanks for the help anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom