No More Basic Melee

Best answers
Ok, I'm sorry if you've heard this a billion times already, but with advanced melee around, I think we should put basic melee to rest.

Too many people exploit basic melee. It's practically impossible to counter. Sure, you can block and counter, but a smart attacker will quickly maneuver around you and hit you in an open spot, then again as you're flying away. Then, as you lay on the floor, they spray you with energy.

When you get back up, the combo starts again.

Basic melee is the reason I stopped playing ESF way back when advanced melee didn't exist. People are using enough cheap tactics as it is. Why must we continue to have basic melee if advanced melee gives the defending player such a better chance of helping himself against the attacker.

Advanced Melee keeps the melee fighting fair and reasonable. What was the point in making it if you still allow people to use basic melee?

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm noob, which I am. Maybe I just don't know the way to counter someone who uses the tactic I described-that's very possible. If there is a way to counter that tactic, then please tell me.

Lastly, if there's nothing that can be done, then could you at least tell me if there's a command to type to disable basic and not advanced melee? If there isn't a command to disable basic melee, could you make one? Thanks.

Best answers
well I personally like basic melee, its like playing game liek suepr smash bros. (i.e Hit summone straight up and before they recover, slam them back down) If it were just advanced melee, les skill would be needed....buuut it be a lot easier to win if a person is not as good as his opponent. Though I wish I could get better at basic melee ;/

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
basic melee is the main melee of dbz i remember people getting knocked back into mountains better than i remember flurries of punches

just because you dont like it doesnt mean others dont

and besides advanced melee is boring as hell

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
and to easy these days, I havent been hit while in advanced melee for quite some time, but i also have trouble hitting others, its to predictible and these days everyone can use it as well as everyone else the only time anything ever happens is when somone gets hit with a random, randomness sucks take out the damn randoms i say!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
EnderLink said:
If there is a way to counter that tactic, then please tell me.
the teleport button is your friend

obviously if you are standing/floating there waiting for him to adv melee you so you can counter attack him, you will have your rear handed to you everytime.

adv melee is very noob friendly.
so much so that they cant handle the harder styles.

ive found that the only way to handle a decent player is with simple melee. adv melee is just too simple, and takes far too long with people that are experienced.
take simple melee out and the only damage better players would do to each other would be from beams and prepunches.

Best answers
i know the melee system is being changed in 1.3 i dont know how but you can always wait and see what they come up with :) as for getting rid of 1.1 melee i dont think it would be a good idea after all there are some that want only basic melee and no advanced :p

Best answers
While were at it, lest get rid of flying and beams. Theyre way too cheap, right?
If you cant evade basic melee, go and practice it. Advanced melee is boring and doesnt require too much skill. Basic melee is the true value of this game. The fact that someone can manuever around you while youre blocking doesnt make it cheap, it makes it more fun and challenging.

Seriously, go practice your basic melee with bots then try it again. Its a million times more fun than advanced melee.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use a healthy mixture of adv.melee and basic. You can't say that adv or simple melee is easy, it al ldepends on the player that you're fighting. The team is constantly making changes to the melee system to cater to as many people as possible, so just hang tight, and try to help improve it.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use both...Mixing it up makes it interesting also if they're expecting basic melee and you get em with advanced (or vice versa) you can inflict some serious damage.

Best answers
Basic melee is very handy, as are the other types of melee. Just practise with them against bots, as suggested by IsrAlien. Bon Appetit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I agree with Rocky, you should mix 'em up, it keeps it interesting and unpredictable. You can block basic melee and then swoop out, or fire a genball if you see someone swooping towards you (knocks them out of the sky) or teleport.

And basic melee is especially useful/fun/looks really good for team situations where one person hits someone with basic melee and the second person follows it up.

Besides, if you take out basic melee then it'll slow down the pace a bit, adv melee isn't very fast paced with all the stuntime. Leave it in.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
heh you know whats funny all of the replys in this thread except for one were against taking out basic melee

besides they are all right it comes in huge handy especially if your out of energy hit them back and recharge

oh and dont forget my favorite hit them back as buu and charge a few health and keep doing this and the opponent will get really pissed off

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Take away basic melee and you take away every skilled player in esf. and all youll get are new people. only the new people don't like it because they haven't played previous versions, if they had they would appreciate it. that or they aren't willing to take the time to learn.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, I don't know. Simple melee isn't as fun as it use to be with the reduced speeds and reduced combos. We shouldn't take it out, but maybe making a more complicated simple melee system (o_o) to be put into 1.3 will spice it up and make a lot of the people that hate simple melee like it. What I would really love is if we could do combos like we could in 1.1.

A command to take out simple melee isn't a bad idea though, we already have a command to take out melee all together and to take out advanced melee, another one couldn't hurt ;).

Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Take away basic melee and you take away every skilled player in esf. and all youll get are new people. only the new people don't like it because they haven't played previous versions, if they had they would appreciate it. that or they aren't willing to take the time to learn.
You also remove the less skilled players that try to use basic melee ;)
In otherwords...no more basic melee = no more ESF community :O

Anyway EnderLink, If you need any help with Basic melee what so ever, don't hesitate to PM me ok :]

Best answers
I guess I see everyone's points. It's just so hard to not get hit when they're all around you and you're in the middle. No matter what you do, all they have to do is hold down they're right mouse button and stare in your general direction, and wham!

Could they at least consider having to time the attack? I mean, simply needing to hold down a button and have them come into range is kind of...stupid, I think.

Could it at least be tweaked to make you click once they're in range?

That would make more sense to me. In DBZ, I never see someone punching fury on approach to their enemy. They always have to wait until they're face to face with the enemy to start throwing punches.

Holding down a button and rushing them makes it seem like we're kicking and punching all the time until they finally get close enough for those swinging limbs to hit them. Maybe I'm not explaining what I'm trying to say very well...

Anyway, I see why it shouldn't be removed, but, again, couldn't it be changed to require that the enemy is in range before you click? I think that would be better, personally.

You still keep the speed of the flying around and basic melee'ing each other, but now you'll actually have to think of timing. Swoop in and punch (click) just at the right time to have the attack connect.

Furthermore, couldn't something be done about the ability of the defender?

While the attacker has an array of options including: flying around you, teleporting around you, attacking you, falling back, and advance melee attacking you, the defender only has three options: defending and pointing in the correct direction while the attacker is doing all the aforementioned maneuvering, attempting to hit the attacker first, which even if you land your hit, he always seems to land his first, and attempting to run away which never works out.

I feel that the defending player is just at a disadvantage. Maybe it's just my level of noobness, but whenever I've tried to hit them, for some reason they always hit first.

Again, maybe all of this is just the skewed perception of basic melee through the eyes of a basic melee nooblet.

However, above all other points I'd like you to at least consider to consider two things: the requiring of the target to be within range before attacking (clicking) and the commands to allow/not allow basic or advanced melee in a game.

I think that if anything commands of that nature would benefit both sides.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
actually its not like constantly punching when you swoop its basically like drawing back your arm for the punch until you finally get into range

and if its timed heh trust me all of us that have replied to this thread will still whoop alot of ass if you changed it to a timing punch how do you think we got so good at basic melee anyway? it requires alot of timing and if you study your opponents movements closely you can easily counter every move he makes

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Darkowns is right. If you change it to a timed punch then the people who already know how to use basic well, will easily learn to use the timed version. The only people you disadvantage are those like yourself you aren't as good at basic melee.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And laggers... I could see it becoming a problem playing with over 100 ping if that was in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom