No hit into "air" (invisible wall)

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm wondering if player which is thrown into air and has reached invisible wall (map limit) will crash into that "wall" or he will just stop (as I'd suggest)? That way ESF would become a bit more realistic, wouldn't it?

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm wondering if player which is thrown into air and has reached invisible wall (map limit) will crash into that "wall" or he will just stop (as I'd suggest)? That way ESF would become a bit more realistic, wouldn't it?
This was brought up before regarding beams.
Its a good question, I think it should be left as it is.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it should be instant recovery from the skybox.

The problem is that HL sees the skybox as a standard brush. So it acts like the rest of the map.

If we made a special entity and forced all mappers to use that for the skybox then we could probably solve the problem of getting smashed against the skybox.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've seen how that was done in Battlearena and it was horrible. If what you're thinking of Grega is anything like that, than please god no.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No.

Battlearena had a simple trigger push.

Im thinking of instead of hiting the wall of the skybox your character does a normall recovery.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best answers
could beams still stick to celling and cause splash damage? cause that would be pointless 2, i do like celing hits thou and its taken me like 2 years to learn to do it -_-, its a game and that one flaw isnt nesesarily that bad.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
could beams still stick to celling and cause splash damage? cause that would be pointless 2, i do like celing hits thou and its taken me like 2 years to learn to do it -_-, its a game and that one flaw isnt nesesarily that bad.
Its an exploit and if done correctly the guy who got attacked cant do a thing but get killed. Ceeling hits are as bad as rollhits.

And yes they should go. And so should splash damage when hitting the ceeling.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If we made a special entity and forced all mappers to use that for the skybox then we could probably solve the problem of getting smashed against the skybox.
That would be a nice evolution imo.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bump. With the new map system I guess this will be done?

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Its an exploit and if done correctly the guy who got attacked cant do a thing but get killed. Ceeling hits are as bad as rollhits.

And yes they should go. And so should splash damage when hitting the ceeling.
Yeah all invisible wall dmg is a bit silly.

If they recovered on wall hit that would be cool, also if beam detonation is still in the game, it would be awesome if your beams and projectiles ignored the invisible walls and could pass in and out of them at will.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it would be awesome if your beams and projectiles ignored the invisible walls and could pass in and out of them at will.
Not really ^^

Thing is all attacks are tracked by the game. And if they dont hit a wall they will be tracked forever. Thats not a problem with 1 or 2. But with 100 or more attacks flying into infinity out there the server would start a crusade of mega lag.

Allso at the moment those boundaries still hurt you like in 1.2.3 but the maps are so big that you normally dont even get near any of them ^^

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really ^^

Thing is all attacks are tracked by the game. And if they dont hit a wall they will be tracked forever. Thats not a problem with 1 or 2. But with 100 or more attacks flying into infinity out there the server would start a crusade of mega lag.

Allso at the moment those boundaries still hurt you like in 1.2.3 but the maps are so big that you normally dont even get near any of them ^^
Obviously in my idea they'd decay after leaving the area after a certain distcance / time- if they were not controllable.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DT should do an animation where if you get knocked outside of the boundaries, the character would recover and either fly or swoop back to the original boundaries.

Edit: I still think it would be awesome if beams were able to fly pass the boundaries.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The boundaries are made using walls with a special texture.

So basically its the same. They are not really defined VIA code. But it is possible to do this.

Make a wall with the boundary texture that allows people to fly past it and have a second boundary that acts as a wall. This way youd be warned taht youll reach the wall if you continue in that direction.

The 2 of them can be made using seperate textures like blue for the inner boundary and red for the outer.

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. Beams should be able to fly a long way, but after flying for a certain distance they should disappear.

There's so much you've done with the game. And I really hope you'll "fix" this crappy thing with getting hit into an invisible wall.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. Beams should be able to fly a long way, but after flying for a certain distance they should disappear.

There's so much you've done with the game. And I really hope you'll "fix" this crappy thing with getting hit into an invisible wall.

Well the wall is no longer invisible ^^

You can see itr plain as day now but only when you are close enough XD

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that a recover animation would do the trick just fine if a player is being thrown/punched in the map boundary.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats just it. The map boundary is made like any other wall in the map.

Its not a seperate thing its part of the map itself.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh...pardon me i wanted to write "air recover animation", if it makes any difference. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom