No damage from 'skybox/clipping' textures

No damage when hit into 'clip' textured brushes?

• Good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reduced damage (around 1-2)

• Bad idea.

• Total voters

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Please guys, don't have any push entitys on the walls / ceilings. I don't care about no damage or anything along those lines, but the push thing is really annoying and frustrating. It's honestly too annoying and frustrating to get put into the game. It won't make players happy, it would just be fixing a minor problem with a major one.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what exactly does this push thing do?

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically, it prevents you from hitting the skybox. It uses a small force to push you back if you reach that zone. It can be made very thin, so you won't even notice.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You wouldn't notice it unless you were hitting someone into a skybox, or being hit into a skybox. I'm not sure what would happen to ki attacks though, would they explode? Reverse direction? Be stuck in limbo?

Best answers
Isn't there anyway to remove the skybox or make it higher so that you won't be able to crash onto the sky?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't remove it. That would mean there has to be an infinite amount of space outside the skybox, and this is simply impossible to do with the HL1 engine. You can, however, make it bigger, but bigger maps lag more, and the gravity-push solution would prevent having to use large maps.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, you can't make them bigger. Most of the maps we have now are at the max size limit.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yupyup, sub did his homework.^^

*All* of the maps use the max size limit.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
max size? ive seen far larger maps for hl1....when going all the way up in the sky in the esf standard maps, you can normally see the whole map under you, but one map (however i forgot the name >.<) was far larger and i couldnt see the whole map even when i was touching the skybox (and yes, the skybox was just as high as the standard esf maps)

Anyway i agree, would make the game alot better instead of bouncing in thin air and even getting killed...in thin air

Best answers
That might be cos of the max viewdistance and I doubt esf_cell_games/night use the maximum height available.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is the viewdistance (or visibility distance I think it's called in Hammer). b3_cellgames has really short, noticable distance despite it's size, you can't see the whole map, just the skybox, until you move into that space. Unlike esf_gero, where you can see the whole thing at any time (as it should be).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see, I've always wondered why that was. I use the B3 Cell Arena map often, and the low viewing distance is annoying.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it's a pretty badly made map save for the dragonballs all being placed together (I assume that's why you use it?). It helps maps because your computer isn't processing all the faces of all the brushes at the same time (I think) so your FPS is better. It's not made for open-air maps where you can see one end of the map from the other, but for indoor or linear levels it works well. Seeing as ESF is open air, it shouldn't be used.

Can Cold Steel/DJ Ready post a progress report on how the idea worked? :]

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the best way to do this would be to have the character just recover automatically when they reach the wall. Maybe throw in an auto simple melee to people who try to melee them while in the recovery animation. Voila--no more ceiling smacks.

Best answers
Ya, but also no reward for using the 'scenery'. I say let them take 1 hit and recover automatically, that way it's not completely useless.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, the no damage from getting hit against the wall would be a comprimise then. You would technically still get a reward, just not as much. For instance, you would still use the ceiling / wall to get in a third hit with simple melee, there just wouldn't be any damage from the wall or ceiling. I personally have no problem with that, as long as they don't implement that push entity thing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I prefer the push thing, there wouldn't have to be a change to the code or anything, just spending a minute in each maps .rmf putting the brushes next to the skybox and turning them into brush-based entities. If this idea doesn't have any conflicts with beamheads or other projectiles I think this would work out great.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
I prefer the push thing, there wouldn't have to be a change to the code or anything, just spending a minute in each maps .rmf putting the brushes next to the skybox and turning them into brush-based entities. If this idea doesn't have any conflicts with beamheads or other projectiles I think this would work out great.
:p Might be kinda fun though, knock a Genki Dama into the ceiling, which will then bounce off and fly downward at an angle. Might make for some interesting matches, but of course, that's not really what we're aiming to do here.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revendust, I have absolutly no problem with eliminating damage from the walls. But putting a push entity to fix this problem isn't a great solution, it just makes the situation worse. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have been killed thanks to the walls in battlearena. It gets in the way, and quite frankly, it's worse then getting damage due to the skybox. I'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way..

I don't see whats wrong with just coding it in that the skybox doesn't do any damage when you get knocked into it. Sure, it's a bit more work for the coders, but the end product will be the same and it wouldn't piss anyone off that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom