No damage from 'skybox/clipping' textures

No damage when hit into 'clip' textured brushes?

• Good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reduced damage (around 1-2)

• Bad idea.

• Total voters
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
How about this as a way of removing the 'ceiling hit' exploit.

Different textures in Half-Life have different properties, for instance if you make a brush and texture it like sand then walk on it, it'll sound like sand. If you then retexture it as metal and walk on it, it'll sound like metal.

So how about having the 'clip' texture property be nullifying damage when hit into it? Frankly all you're hitting them into is thin air. This applies to the invisible barriers around the map and ceiling that prevent you from being punched through the skybox.

I've played a lot of people who use this exploit (I see it as an exploit) and to be honest i'd be glad to see the back of it. In the unlikely even of uproar, maybe it could cause severely reduced damage instead.

C&C

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah it is kinda ugly to bounce off...air..invisble walls too, but if you 'loop' the map and have the person teleported to the oppposite side, it might look wierd..

But, instead of just taking the damage dealing property out, i say we get rid of the flat boundary all together. Basically (if this is possbile) you make the sky box really high, abormally high. Where the skybox would normally be, is where the gravity intensifies quickly, eventually bringing you down below the area where the skybox would really be.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it, i'm not sure about gravity but i'm pretty sure you can have imitation wind currents that have a similar effect (they blow you back in Opposing Force).

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
i had a similar idea to this a while ago.... http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=54340

I'd be happy if the skybox became a sort of invisible barrier, that you are unable to get stuck in, instead it causes a ki penalty when you get hit into it, as if it was some kind of air break (you know in dbz when they got hit backwards and they'd use their ki to stop them from moving backwards), u would be unmeleeable untill you recover, if you recover and then are hit while next to the sky box, you would only move up or down (or horizontal if its the top of the skybox) so you cant be repeatedly hit into the skybox. I really see no reason why you should get any damage for being hit into thin air.... and i dont see why you should get stuck in it.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
Best answers
It is possible to have it like that...The gravity that is....and i totally agree...

You could be moved back down by an "invisible force"

Best answers
In case you remember the old esf_cell_day and night, there were hardly any skyboxes to bounce into, except the top one of course. Now, pretty much every map has 5 huge skyboxes to get knocked into. Just changing the mapping style would do alot of good already, even if it is for the sake of realisme. Ow and the super high skybox thing aint such a bad idea. If you look at arrival or namek, most fights are close to the ground anyway so I don't think that would be a problem. The only thing that could be a problem is the long compile times for making such a big map.

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah terrain blocking the side sky boxes could work, but in esf_cell_day, it is so small and it feels like you being boxed in in such a small area.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't get me wrong, I like having the open-style maps (new esf_cellgames) rather than the closed off style of the old esf_cellgames, just make the 'CLIP' texture:

...have the special property of 0 damage. I think water has this property (when you fall 50 feet into water it nullifies the falling damage, whereas if you fall onto rocks, you die).

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I really like the idea of an invisible force pushing you back.

If you just made the ceiling so it wouldn't hurt you, people would still hit you into it, then just kick you back up when you come back down, like they do now.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
precisely my point.... it'd also mean that the terrain was actually there for a purpose, atm it seems like you might as well fight in a huge box. I like it when terrain can be used to your advantage, being able to hit people into thin air, takes away the creativity you can gain from using the terrain around you.

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Dusteh.

I could use a trigger_gravity with a very high value. It could be very thin, yet you will not be able to reach the sealing (by force)

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I didn't know there was a trigger_gravity, is it a brush-based or point-based entity? I haven't mapped since CS 1.5 so i'm not too sure about your mapping techniques. I know some people use INVIS textured brushes as func_walls to create invisible borders around maps, but I always used CLIP (bullets can pass through, players cannot). Would the 'gravity' repel players that had been hit into the walls so they would stop before touching the brush, thus removing the possibility of taking damage from ceilings/map edges?

Anyway, if you can make this idea work using trigger_gravity please try it out and let me know the results :]

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You could use both the gravity idea and the no-damage idea for the ceiling. That way, you'd be sure you wouldn't get damage from hitting the ceiling, and the gravity idea would help stop people from doing skybox combos on you.. I think.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well if the gravity idea works as it should then there should be no need for the no-damage idea as it'll be impossible to touch the skybox :)

But I looked in the esf.fgd and couldn't find trigger_gravity anywhere:

If you can get it from another mods .fgd and copy it into the esf.fgd then use that it should work.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
its a brush based entity and thus not listed there :p
isnt it func_push or something like that btw? >_>

The Viking
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Nope trigger gravity is also in there. But it would only work on ceilings. I suppose we could use trigger_push instead.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
will you try that out in a small test map? if so, report to me afterwards how it turned out ;)
thnx ^^

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
hehehe ... yeah XD
but hey .. it was your idea in the first place XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom